How an automatic transmission works

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Linked Image]

Of course I ripped that off from the web, it's not my idea. And someone else retaliated, at some point.

[Linked Image]

I made a version of that a while back...

[Linked Image]

A torque converter does something that a clutch simply can't and that's multiply torque.

The NHRA Pro Stock cars will always have a special place with me though.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
I made a version of that a while back...

[Linked Image]

A torque converter does something that a clutch simply can't and that's multiply torque.

I think I saw that version too--I had come across the first one and wanted to find a better version to post, saw a few variants.

All fun and games of course.

Nice video, Ronnie Sox was called Mr shifter back in the day. It will be a sad day indeed when pro stock goes to automatics!

Whether I prefer manual or auto depends on the vehicle application. There are some really dreadful autos that are programmed for fuel economy, and there are some that are far superior to manual. The ZF 8-speed with proper programming is a great transmission. Then you have the manuals with rubber band shift feel or gear lock-outs to meet CAFE.
33.gif

How does a Dual Clutch automatic transmission work?

Probably like the regular automatic, but 2 seconds faster in the end!

Originally Posted by jeepman3071
Whether I prefer manual or auto depends on the vehicle application. There are some really dreadful autos that are programmed for fuel economy, and there are some that are far superior to manual. The ZF 8-speed with proper programming is a great transmission. Then you have the manuals with rubber band shift feel or gear lock-outs to meet CAFE.
33.gif

The ZF in my Ram is the first automatic I've ever had that I couldn't shift any better than myself.. its a great transmission.

lol.gif
Those are all great!

With all the newfangled transmissions nowadays, some racing seems like more of a science than a driving skill test.

Loved the cigar in that video! Also like the elbow flying up in preparation for each shift.

If my vehicle came with a manual, that's what I would be driving…

My dad made a career of designing automatic transmissions for the automotive industry. They were once tasked to build transmissions for racing. He said they could not design something to outperform existing manual transmissions and the drivers who use them. I'm sure weight, power loss, and shifting protocols were considered were parts of the variables.

Conversely, he chuckled anytime somebody tried to drive an automatic like a manual. The automatic picks the best shift points. Just leave it in Drive and go!

Originally Posted by Kestas
Conversely, he chuckled anytime somebody tried to drive an automatic like a manual. The automatic picks the best shift points. Just leave it in Drive and go!

Back in the day that WAS funny.

However with modern automatics set at the factory in many cases just for mpg, the "best" shift point - which is different between vehicles, their drivers, and how they are used - isn't available without a tune. Same goes for throttle response.

Dual Clutch automatic transmissions are actually manual transmissions electronically shifted through electromagnetic clutches. They are the fastest shifting transmissions available to consumers and used to be used in Formula 1. Not sure where that technology is nowadays but remember reading about sub 100 millisecond shifts.

Originally Posted by sloinker
What is really funny are paddle shifters on a CVT.

I've always asked, what would a manual control over a CVT look like? Some sort of slider? IMO, paddle shifters might work great here, the programming could make it so that each tap corresponds to precisely 10% of engine rpm change (or 8% or whatever floats ones boat).

I remember back in the 70's and 80's... everybody with a fast car desired a 4-speed more than anything.

Now, I love "Rowing your own" gears....
But any modern automatic with a proper torque converter and a full-manual valvebody completely slaughters *ANY* manual shifted box at the strip.

Many CVT's program a misfire and add sound to give the impression of a gear change. Honda programmed a V-Twin of theirs to purposely sound like a Harley some years back, de-optimizing the the ignition timing to do so. Doesn't sound like Honda at all does it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back