Honda Power Steering Fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has any one determined for sure what the Unicorn blood is in Honda Power Steeting fluid. Is the current OEM fluid synthetic? Most of the aftermarket off yhe shelf Honda ok fluid is not synthetic.

I am not sure. I am curious as well though. I will keep using the OEM fluid regardless, no reason for me not too.

If its like Honda ATF, (ie: ATF-DW1) there might be some suspicion that the product marketed in Canada is different than that in the USA by the product labelling.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1230266&page=1

"1. A slightly higher viscosity than other PSF's or ATFs.

2. A zddp AW package similar to that of an SL motor oil.

3. Special dispersants and fricion modifiers."

And also from Mola, a VOA:

Appearance Lt. Pale
Flash, COC, Deg F. 355
Pour Point, Deg F. -40
Viscosity, cSt
At 40 C. 53.75
At 100 C. 11.34
Viscosity Index MIN 205
Viscosity, Brookfield cP @ -40C < 64000
Oxidation Stability, D-2272 > 200 minutes
Copper Corrosion 3A Max.
Zn Content, ppm. 1500
P Content, ppm. 1300
Mg Content, ppm 580
Ca Content, ppm 220
TBN, ASTM D-4739 5.0

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ctechbob
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1230266&page=1

"1. A slightly higher viscosity than other PSF's or ATFs.

2. A zddp AW package similar to that of an SL motor oil.

3. Special dispersants and fricion modifiers."

And also from Mola, a VOA:

Appearance Lt. Pale
Flash, COC, Deg F. 355
Pour Point, Deg F. -40
Viscosity, cSt
At 40 C. 53.75
At 100 C. 11.34
Viscosity Index MIN 205
Viscosity, Brookfield cP @ -40C < 64000
Oxidation Stability, D-2272 > 200 minutes
Copper Corrosion 3A Max.
Zn Content, ppm. 1500
P Content, ppm. 1300
Mg Content, ppm 580
Ca Content, ppm 220
TBN, ASTM D-4739 5.0

11.gif
thanks for digging that up!

would like to compare it to Lubegard's version, once I can get my hands on some:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...uid-just-for-honda-in-januar#Post5301241

I still have left over AAP brand Honda fluid I can send you never opened.

The AAP P/S fluid I used in our Hondas / Acura worked just fine.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice

This is a killer deal...free Honda-compatible fluid! I would go this route if I planned to flush soon.

Another option, if shipping costs for the AAP fluid above are prohibitive, is to use a Honda compatible multi vehicle syn ATF. My 12 Ody currently has Lucas universal (the one that says it's Honda compatible). I realize Lucas is not a favorite brand around here and I have no opinion on their other products, but I can't say enough about their PS fluid...it smoothed out notchy steering that could not be fixed with new Honda fluid, and the steering has been very smooth for about 4 years now. I have no idea how it compares to similar fluids (other than Honda brand) but it has worked well in my Honda and my Cad.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by RyanY
Originally Posted by Mr Nice

This is a killer deal...free Honda-compatible fluid! I would go this route if I planned to flush soon.

Another option, if shipping costs for the AAP fluid above are prohibitive, is to use a Honda compatible multi vehicle syn ATF. My 12 Ody currently has Lucas universal (the one that says it's Honda compatible). I realize Lucas is not a favorite brand around here and I have no opinion on their other products, but I can't say enough about their PS fluid...it smoothed out notchy steering that could not be fixed with new Honda fluid, and the steering has been very smooth for about 4 years now. I have no idea how it compares to similar fluids (other than Honda brand) but it has worked well in my Honda and my Cad.

what??? Honda compatible??? which Lucas part number??? the Lucas Power Steering Fluid w/ Conditioner's viscosity is higher than Honda Genuine PSF. are you talking about the Lucas Universal Hydraulic & Transmission Fluid?

I've never used Lucas products, but I'm not a hater of them, as they have their place in some circumstances
13.gif

This one. Yes, the viscosity does not exactly match Honda but it works well. I can't say it's the best but I like it better than the Honda fluid.
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
This one. Yes, the viscosity does not exactly match Honda but it works well. I can't say it's the best but I like it better than the Honda fluid. [/img]

All fluids have conditioners but what do they define as conditioners?

There are two Honda fluids with two different viscosities, an 11.5 cSt viscosity (older) and one with 6.5 cst viscosity (later).

What technical information do you have to show that it is better than Honda fluids?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MolaKule
This one. Yes, the viscosity does not exactly match Honda but it works well. I can't say it's the best but I like it better than the Honda fluid. [/img]

There are two Honda fluids with two different viscosities, an 11.5 cSt viscosity (older) and one with 6.5 cst viscosity (later).

What technical information do you have to show that it is better than Honda fluids?

Being a Lucas product, the odds are greatly against it being superior to the Honda fluid
lol.gif

Originally Posted by MolaKule

I can't speak to the technical info (other than the viscosity info on the Lucas site) and don't know what the conditioners are, but I can say it gave me the results I was looking for. My '12 Odyssey had notchy steering around 3 years and 40k miles. New Honda PS fluid made no difference even after a few months, so I tried Prestone for Honda with still no change after about 6 mo. At the time I had resolved to just living with this issue, but then tried Lucas at a friend's suggestion. Within a few days everything had smoothed out and it has remained smooth for the past 4 years. I have no idea what the effective ingredient(s) is but it worked well. Other brands may work the same or better but I have not tried any.

Yeahhhh, "For all power steering systems...Even Honda" doesn't exactly inspire confidence. Add to it that it's Lucas, be a no go for me. And this from someone that has used Prestone for Honda and before it Bardahl for Honda on a couple Honda vehicles including an 01 Civic still in service, original pump.

That said, always interested in reading anecdotal experiences of other than oem products.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
Yeahhhh, "For all power steering systems...Even Honda" doesn't exactly inspire confidence. Add to it that it's Lucas, be a no go for me. And this from someone that has used Prestone for Honda and before it Bardahl for Honda on a couple Honda vehicles including an 01 Civic still in service, original pump.

That said, always interested in reading anecdotal experiences of other than oem products.

Definitely no reason to try Lucas if there is no problem to solve. Even then I would not expect miracles. I would never have tried this product without a recommendation, given that Lucas fuel system cleaners were disappointing in my cars and power equipment. But for my specific application this product gave me better results than the other two, so I am very satisfied with it.

Originally Posted by Sayjac

That quote on the bottle would make me stay away from it! It's sleazy.

I don't trust anything from Lucas.

Last edited:
I remember reading an aftermarket PSF blender (forgot the name, Idemitsu?) MSDS for both Honda and non Honda formula. Honda's formula is thicker and has more detergent in it.

My 1993 Civic still has the original, un-rebuilt power steering pump with over 569,000 miles on it. I have only ever used Honda power steering fluid.

Originally Posted by harry j
My 1993 Civic still has the original, un-rebuilt power steering pump with over 569,000 miles on it. I have only ever used Honda power steering fluid.

Is your Civic garaged?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back