Honda Pilot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was looking for some real world feedback/opinions on the 2019/2020 Honda Pilot. We've been entertaining a new vehicle and the Pilot interests me. Is there a huge benefit in the 9 speed transmission vs the 6sp?

Any know issues with the Pilot or the 3.5 v-6?

Thanks,

Not exactly the MY your asking about but still: 2016 EXL pilot, pretty much same thing as 19/20 MY. No issues in 3.5 years of ownership. Oil changes every 4-5K, done full tranny fluid swap at 30K (3xD&F), flushed brake fluid at the same mileage, replaced stock tires with some Copper Evolution (in love with those tires). That's about it, wife loves the thing, large and comfy for wife and two minions. That 3.5 is really peppy and 6 speed once fully with fresh fluid shifts smooth as butter. We like it so much that I actually was considering to get rid of me ‘17 Civic and get another pilot. Demotion at work corrected the plans though. Hope this helps

I have to agree with parshisa. I also have the 2016 EXL . Nary a problem in 4 years of ownership.

Pilot is a solid choice in a crowded market. Lots of choices to consider and compare.

Bought a 2016 Pilot EX-L NAV 6-speed because the new 9-speed auto in the Elite / Touring scared me ... and I think that was the right call. There have been tons of complaints about the 9-speed transmission, in various brands of car. Apparently Honda did a major revision to their version of the tranny for the 2019 model year ... time will tell if it fixed the problems.

My Pilot has had ZERO problems in 3 1/2 years. No complaints.

Originally Posted by Buckeye_Rich
Is there a huge benefit in the 9 speed transmission vs the 6sp?

Any known issues with the Pilot or the 3.5 v-6?

Thanks,

To answer your question about the Pilot and the 6 spd vs 9 spd tranny.

Is there issues with the Pilot? CR mag will have some data on the different components with the Pilot but, the vehicle is always a safe choice to purchase. Test drive the competition to see/feel the differences in vehicles which pertain to your personal likings and needs(criteria).

We have friends(Honda fans) that are on their 2nd Pilot(6 spd) and they love it. There are some quirky issues with Honda's infotainment system but, you'll get used to that.

The 9 spd tranny has better acceleration(WOT) from a dead stop due to its more aggressive 1st gear.
And the 9 spd gets better fuel economy on the highway in 9th gear but, only over 80 mph.
However, the tranny may not shift into 9th gear unless the speed is high enough to get there.
Also, the 9 spd tranny has some quirky shifting patterns. Others with this tranny can explain better than I.

Please read piloteers and passportforums. You will find many issues with BOTH the Pilot and Passport (which is a shorter version).

ATF Type 3.1 can now be purchased nationwide at under 25/qt but still a tricky process per manufacturer repair/service procedures, apart from transmissions that were simply done via partial drain and fill.

Yes, we drive several of all types/models of Hondas.

2018 Pilot Touring with 25,000 miles:

The good - Driving dynamic for a big vehicle, size, engine, and AWD system are great.

The bad - 9-speed does many things very well but the what it doesn't do well it doesn't do well ALL THE TIME - The 1-2 shift is abrupt and jerky. I've had two warranty issues - needed the HVAC blower replaced at 1000 miles due to bad bearings and a seal on the rear differential replaced at 15K because it was leaking. I'll need a third warranty visit to replace the second row seat bench (lots of complaints on Pilot forums) because there's too much play between the seat back and seat bottom (some were improperly manufactured) and it "doings" like a spring door stop over every bump. There was a very loud squeak from the third row over lumps and the bolts holding it to the floor were loose. I have at least 4 or 5 other interior trim squeaks or rattles. Finally, last two UOA were not stellar with high wear metals and hoping this is still wear-in washout. We'll see.

All-in-all not overly enthusiastic about my experience and this maybe my last Honda.

I appreciate the feedback.

My wife is currently driving a 2015 Dodge Durango with the 3.6 V6. Overall, it's been a decent, reliable ride. I really like the engine and drive train. However, we've had numerous "small" quality issues that the dealer cannot get right. The front timing cover "leaks" oil and has been resealed two times and still leaks. The front turn signals burnout every few months. The rear tail light housing fills up with water.

I thought maybe the Honda would be a step up in overall quality. I'll spend some time on Pilot forums. Thanks again!

2019 EX-L 15k on it. Wife and I like it, don't love it. Coming from the old large Sequoia the smaller size is a compromise. Safety features better, quick, handles good, gas mileage much better. Recall for timing belt (I was good). Check engine currently on for emissions problem needs to go in. Ground clearance sucks. third row usable decent comfort, try it. Set seats where you are then try second and third row for how you fit.

I think the Pilot is noisy as compared to the old Sequoia and even my Sonata. Higher models have more sound deadening. The 9 speed is a push button tranny that I'm not too keen on, 6 speed has a handle. 9 speed also has auto stop/start that reactivates on EVERY start up and has to be turned off if you don't want it.

Lower models don't have the tranny button for mud/sand that locks up AWD better.

My 16 EXL is pretty average. It's been reliable over 105,000 miles. The infotainment and seat heaters are garbage and not anywhere near what other manufacturers have, as is the Garmin navigation. The service is twice as often as Toyota (for rear diff, transmission) and more expensive, plus the timing belt makes it more expensive to own long term than some competitors. It does handle better than the current gen Highlander, and is 3 inches wider, which is why I bought it. But little things like the rear tailgate actuator needing replacement aren't what I'm used to coming from two Toyota's.

Oh yeah....lots of road noise. "Boomy" rear suspension that seems to resonate the floor - floor sounds like a drum with not only impacts but rough pavement seems to be transmitted through the floor too.

I'm not saying the Pilot is bad....just not as good as it could be and I think there are other offerings that are better for the money. It is very average in every way.

Last edited:
If you decide to buy no is the time. When i was checking how much i can get it for i had some offer ls with almost 7K of off MSRP for ‘19 EXL AWD for 35K OTD. That's a steal for a car like that

We hated our ‘16 Touring. It was a pile from the start. The AC stopped working twice. Repaired under warranty once and out of pocket once. I had to replace the front rotors and pads before 20k miles. Dealer said early front brake replacement was common. The 9 speed transmission was recalled once and repaired under warranty once. At 65K miles it needed 6 new injectors and fuel rail. That was enough for us.

My wife's brother has an identical ‘16 with 57K miles. It's been perfect.

Originally Posted by Buckeye_Rich
I appreciate the feedback.

My wife is currently driving a 2015 Dodge Durango with the 3.6 V6. Overall, it's been a decent, reliable ride. I really like the engine and drive train. However, we've had numerous "small" quality issues that the dealer cannot get right. The front timing cover "leaks" oil and has been resealed two times and still leaks. The front turn signals burnout every few months. The rear tail light housing fills up with water.

I thought maybe the Honda would be a step up in overall quality. I'll spend some time on Pilot forums. Thanks again!

Just know that you can go to any forum about any vehicle and there will be tons of complaints, so take them with a grain of salt. We bought a left over 2018 in June of 2019 and already have 10k miles on it. Not mechanical or electrical issues to speak of thus far. The power is great, fuel economy is good, and there is plenty of room in it. Two things I had done was the hood adjusted do to flutter at hwy speeds and the fuel door did not line up with the body very well. I'll be doing my second oil change very soon, but it has been a great vehicle and I would buy it again.

Originally Posted by Sequoiasoon

Lower models don't have the tranny button for mud/sand that locks up AWD better.

Tranny button? My 2018 EX has a terrain selection button for the AWD system. I can choose from snow, mud, sand, and normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back