Honda GCV190 motor oil

I have a Honda GCV190 motor on my HRX Honda push mower. The manual calls for 10w30 but I have a ton of Mobil 1 5w30 EP. Has anyone else done this? I don't know enough about the motor to know if it picky about changes to the oil... I live in the northeast...lower NY area. Thanks!

Yes! All I have ever used in my Honda 160-190 mowers(or any B&S, Tecumseh) is 5w30 conventional or synthetic, it doesn't matter.

Last edited:
Same here with my Briggs and Stratton engines, my newest a 99 and my old 81 both worked perfectly fine on 5w30 synthetic (what I usually had around) or anything else. No difference between them. The 81 only failed from a catastrophic sudden stop (hit a large bolt in concrete under the weeds). It didn't smoke at that point and had about 25 years of heavy use (left unused for about 10 years in between). Originally it ran probably straight 30 changed every few years at best. I switched to synthetic twice a year changes to help extend its life. It didn't seem like it would ever wear out until I hit that bolt.

I don't know the history on my 99 but it smokes on every cold start and immediately clears up. The oil stays looking like new for a full year of use now.

Anything xw30 or xw40 would be fine in these.

Great thanks...appreciate all the info. All my current vehicles use 0w20 and I would hate to waste perfectly good oil.

Last edited:
my old Briggs and Stratton ran fine on straight 30, 5W40, 5W50, 10W40, 10W50, 15W50 - not a real difference noticeable.

My new Honda GCVx 145 had Delvac conventional HDEO 15W40 for the first hour, then changed to Fuchs 15W40 conventional and will change back to Mobil HDEO 15W40. Maybe I'll try Delvac 1 5W40. Superb mower engine so far!

Last edited:
Have 4000w to 7500w gens on the Delvac 1 5w40 … find them easier to pull start with 5w …

It seems that with small OPE, the viscosity is nearly meaningless.
Just keep it reasonably PM'd and don't let it run low and they tend to last nearly forever.

Originally Posted by Hombre909
I have a Honda GVC160 mower running Redline 5w-40.

I was thinking about Motul 300V 15W50 - but then on the other hand why?

1.) It's a Honda
2.) It's not overly stressed running at 2800 or 2900 rpm mowing for 1-2 hours at the time
3.) HDEO 15W40 with enough zinc even in that aircooled engine is more than enough protection, to step it up maybe I'll use Delvac 1 5w40.

I find no difference in starting the Honda GCV at all with different oil weights, Honda's easystart one (max 2) slight pulls and it runs.

Just went from T6 MV 5W30 to Super Tech HD SAE 30 weight in my GVC160. First pull as ALWAYS purring!!!
wink.gif

I've run 5-30EP extensively in my HRX...

It is pretty old, pretty well used and hasn't blown up, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Being air cooled and splash lubricated I prefer a
HDEO oil. I run Rotella 5W-40 in the push mower and
just this week got some of the new Rotella 15W-40.
Both synthetic.

My 2¢

Originally Posted by dwendt44
Being air cooled and splash lubricated I prefer a
HDEO oil. ......

The GCV series isn't only splash lubricated, the internal rubber timing belt also ditributes oil. That's why they - at least unofficially told by a shop - are suitable for steep mowing without engine damage.

Originally Posted by alex_at

The GCV series isn't only splash lubricated, the internal rubber timing belt also ditributes oil. That's why they - at least unofficially told by a shop - are suitable for steep mowing without engine damage.

Awesome! I learned something today. Those clever engineers...

My Honda G??160 engine in my mower gets 5W-20 or 5W-30 (whatever I have leftover from (3) of our cars).

I put Shell Rotella 15W-40 in the Honda GCV160 on my mower this time around because I had some left over, but I have used Rotella T6 5W-40 and 76 10W-30. I don't think Honda engines care as long as they have decent oil and the correct amount of oil in them. My engine has been running since 2003 and it doesn't use any oil even after 17 years of service.

Originally Posted by Hombre909
I have a Honda GVC160 mower running Redline 5w-40.

I have same and use German Castrol 0w-30

I have the same exact mower, I use Full Synthetic 5w-30. The manual states 5w-30 is a recommended viscosity, gives a greater range in cooler temps over 10w-30

Your Honda will be fine. You might get a small puff of smoke at start up and possibly a small increase in consumption. Maybe not. Let us know.

Back