Honda CRV transmission??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, I have narrowed down my next vehicle to a 2014 Honda CRV LX. Do these have "lifetime sealed transmissions" where you supposedly cant drain the fluid. Anyone know my answer?

Any fluid is changeable - they all have drain/fill plugs. It's just a way for them to get lower maintenance costs. If you truely do plan on keeping it, do a drain/fill with Honda OEM ATF every 30K and be confident that it will go 150+ miles.

Originally Posted By: lawman1909
Hello all, I have narrowed down my next vehicle to a 2014 Honda CRV LX. Do these have "lifetime sealed transmissions" where you supposedly cant drain the fluid. Anyone know my answer?

It has a simple drain/fill affair. I believe the Oil Life Monitor tells you when it should be changed out. I found it easy to change my MDX fluid DIY however my mechanic only charges $13 labor if I supply the fluid so a no brainer.

Nope, same as always--drain through the drain plug, fill through the dipstick. Everything is accessible, and it's easier than an oil change. While Honda transmissions get a bad rap, the CRV has always had reliable transmissions. It seems Honda are extra-cautious with that vehicle. It was the last to get a 5 speed, and it never did even go to 6, let alone the CVT. Seems they want to be certain they don't screw up that one...

You don't even need to put the vehicle on ramps. You can do ATF drain and fills while the car is on the ground. One drain and fill takes 3 qts Honda DW-1.

Honda has made it easy to change the trans fluid on most of their line up. Unscrew drain plug, screw on, fill with 3 quarts of ATF DW1. Easier than an oil change.

If you get it, I think that you'll find that all fluid sumps on it are easily accessible. Whether that's the engine oil and filter, the transmission drain plug, the rear differential drain plug if you get an AWD version, or the engine coolant. Both of our cars seem designed with DIY maintenance in mind, and I like that about them.

whos to say you dont drill your own holes to drain / fill anyway. given the knowledge and willpower
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back