Home made hot wings

Anyone here make their own hot wings? I should also ask if anyone has their own delicious sauce or spices or dry seasonings for them. Dad uses Texas Pete and some ground jalapeño and garlic and red pepper flakes. Then puts wings in buttermilk and then puts the sauce over em’ and cooks them in iron skillet.

My recipe is super simple, and relatively mess-free if I'm cooking inside. I marinate the wings in Frank's Red Hot overnight, put wings on a cooling rack and put the cooling rack into a cookie sheet, and then I bake at 400F for 40ish minutes. I just serve as is without saucing. Tastes really good and limits the mess while eating. I prefer to cook the wings out on the grill and the recipe stays the same, but even in the oven, this is a family favorite.

Anyone here make their own hot wings? I should also ask if anyone has their own delicious sauce or spices or dry seasonings for them. Dad uses Texas Pete and some ground jalapeño and garlic and red pepper flakes. Then puts wings in buttermilk and then puts the sauce over em’ and cooks them in iron skillet.
I use a very similar recipe but I delete the buttermilk and fry them in virgin10W-40 PYB. Always gets five stars! :giggle:

I use buttermilk for doing homemade fried chicken. I had struggled making fried chicken for years and then randomly stumbled upon a recipe that called for marinating the chicken in buttermilk and holy cow, it was a night and day difference.

Marinade in the sauce for several hours in the fridge. Make the sauce "slightly" more acidic than you want it to end up because some will react (away) with the meat. I make my sauce from scratch and home grown peppers I've selectively bred for years so it's not something you can follow, but the basic ingredients are:

Roasted Super Hot Peppers
Ascorbic Acid
White Vinegar (very little to taste)
Salt

It's just a base sauce, highly versatile and in the case of wings, add more vinegar, garlic, BBQ sauce (I usually use Open Pit brand but am not picky except not Kraft because too much sugar in it), and a little lemon juice, black pepper, and your favorite vegetable oil. Shake all this in a jar before adding to the chicken in a dish to marinade, deep enough to cover the chicken.

After the marinade period, separate the wings from the sauce. Put about 1/2-2/3rd teaspoon of corn starch to 1 cup liquid volume in the cold sauce, wisked in, then microwave simmer it to kill bacteria and thicken it, wisking again every 30 seconds or so of microwave time so you don't get lumps. Baste on chicken as it grills. Try not to put so much on that it runs off because the oil will cause grill flare-ups, but thickening it helps to reduce that.

I use buttermilk for doing homemade fried chicken. I had struggled making fried chicken for years and then randomly stumbled upon a recipe that called for marinating the chicken in buttermilk and holy cow, it was a night and day difference.
Let's have the recipe ! ;)

Let's have the recipe ! ;)
It's pretty straight forward. Salt and pepper your chicken in a large bowl, pour buttermilk over the chicken and let rest in the fridge overnight. In another large bowl, pour in your flour and add salt, pepper, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper and a touch of garlic powder. Amounts will vary based on what you like. I put about a 3/4" to 1" of oil in my cast iron skillet and turn to medium/medium-high heat. I recommend either vegetable shortening or peanut oil but really, just pick an oil that has a nice, high smoke point. Once the oil is good and heated, I pull the chicken out of the buttermilk and toss them into the flour mix. Ensure that the chicken is nice and covered with your flour mix and then into the pan they go for roughly 25 to 30 minutes (time varies with the size of the individual chicken pieces). Make sure your rotate every so often to avoid burning one side. If your temps are getting high, turn down the temperature and add a touch of room temperature oil.

Last edited:
Marinate in buttermilk, toss in Franks hot sauce and put some dry rub on and on the smoker for an hour or so. Toss in Franks again and either grill to crisp them or air fry/fryer.

It's pretty straight forward. Salt and pepper your chicken in a large bowl, pour buttermilk over the chicken and let rest in the fridge overnight. In another large bowl, pour in your flour and add salt, pepper, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper and a touch of garlic powder. Amounts will vary based on what you like. I put about a 3/4" to 1" of oil in my cast iron skillet and turn to medium/medium-high heat. I recommend either vegetable shortening or peanut oil but really, just pick an oil that has a nice, high smoke point. Once the oil is good and heated, I pull the chicken out of the buttermilk and toss them into the flour mix. Ensure that the chicken is nice and covered with your flour mix and then into the pan they go for roughly 25 to 30 minutes (time varies with the size of the individual chicken pieces). Make sure your rotate every so often to avoid burning one side. If your temps are getting high, turn down the temperature and add a touch of room temperature oil.
Thanks. :)

Back