Home Depot Delivery - Impressed!

dishdude

$100 Site Donor 2023
Needed a new showerhead so this morning I go to the HD website to see what they have. Found a $40 Moen that looked like a good fit and off to the side I see they offer free delivery. I figured this was too good to be true, why would they deliver such a low cost item for free? So I added it to cart and go to checkout, sure enough delivery is free and same day! 2:30 it appears on the front porch! Can't beat that for customer service. Probably smart, because after I found what I wanted I would have checked to see if it was on Amazon!

I just ordered some stuff from Walmart.com that Amazon didn't have in stock. Free shipping had it the next day! I think retailers like Walmart, HD, etc are realizing they need to compete and not ignore Amazon.

Ha, I've recently had a not so good experience with home depot's free delivery.

It was a toilet. Being something big and heavy and fragile, you might guess what happened to it.

The story goes that I read a bunch of reviews and decided on the toilet that I wanted, but this particular model wasn't stocked locally.

I had two options. Free ship to store in about a month, or free ship to home in about week, so I chose that option.

They sent it via UPS. I came home and found the box in front of my garage. I opened the box and found a big chunk broken off of the bottom of it.

Not completely home depot's fault. This was a Kohler toilet that was placed into a big cardboard box with essentially no packing material. No stryofoam or bubble wrap or scientifically bent cardboard to keep it in place. I mean really? Is this like the first ever toilet that the Kohler company has tried to sell?

Anyways, I called home depot and they wanted to set me up with another try. I told them they might want to open the box and fill it with packing peanuts or something before sending it out. Of course they said they couldn't do that.

So the 2nd toilet was on it's way. I watched the tracking information and eventually saw that it was "out for delivery". A few hours later I checked again and it was changed to "item destroyed, we are working with sender".

At that point I gave up and got a refund and bought a toilet that was in stock at Lowes. This one was from American Standard and was packaged alot better.

It's funny how you are amazed how they can offer free shipping on something so small. I wonder how they can offer it with something so large.

Last edited:
During the start of the pandemic I ordered one foot of 3/8" fuel hose from Advance Auto, with free delivery.

The store 8 miles away didn't have it (?) so it got fulfilled by one 15 miles away.

A dude in a minivan with a landscape trailer pulled into my driveway, made the delivery, and successfully backed out.

But someone got my order wrong, I got 3/16" instead.

Only cost me a buck, plus tax.

Needed a new showerhead so this morning I go to the HD website to see what they have. Found a $40 Moen that looked like a good fit and off to the side I see they offer free delivery. I figured this was too good to be true, why would they deliver such a low cost item for free? So I added it to cart and go to checkout, sure enough delivery is free and same day! 2:30 it appears on the front porch! Can't beat that for customer service. Probably smart, because after I found what I wanted I would have checked to see if it was on Amazon!
They use Roadie couriers, which are essentially meth heads..

Edit: I am one of them....not a meth head, but I take HD orders daily.

Back