hole in FRAM Ultra Synthetic leaked my oil out :

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ZCJON888
does anyone know of what types of things could cause that to happen to an oil filter ???

lol.gif
... Looks like some super squirrel was doing the oil change on that vehicle.

hahaha the problem here is between the seat and the steering wheel! Wholly balls quit man handling that poor filter there is no need to torque it to 100ft/lbs then quarter turn.
Then you have enough nerve to make a post trying to blame a filter.

Last edited:
Next car wash customer, "Hey honey the car didn't get clean it's almost like there was motor oil in the wash water."

Originally Posted By: mazdamonky
Sounds to me like it was damaged either prior to or during installation. However, It is possible a rock or something similar may have hit it. I actually ran over such a large rock a couple months back it left a dent in my exhaust resonator and in the underbody of my car. Luckily on the front end of things, it hit subframe parts which only took some minor scratching to the paint.

It was a self-inflicted mortal stab wound, along with all those wrench scrape-markings.
crazy2.gif

What's really impressive is how straight those pics are, despite all the inebriation while holding the camera.
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Also apparently another one of the one-hit-wonder/drive-by posters that come in, make a sensational post of some sort and then disappear. Why? If you post something like this and it's legit, you'd take two days to come back and respond?

Like the others said it was installation error.

Also the damage being caused during removal doesn't absolve you of any blame. If it was put on so tight or at such a bad angle that you had to do that to it, to get it off, I would hate to have seen what you had to do to tighten it that much (or tighten it at a bad angle). The odds that you messed it up while tightening it are more likely than a gash appearing in a piece of sheet metal out of thin air.

Or you hit something in the road.

Or you're a troll.

Either way the filter isn't to blame, nothing to see here.

Originally Posted By: redhat
Lol is this a troll post? That filter looks like it has been thrown against a concrete wall. Who installed that filter? The whole grip texture is worn off. Better question, what was used to install it?

+ 1
I've seen some amazing things, but the pics don't line up with the story .... at all.

Talk about a false alarm after reading the thread title. On another car forum if there was a new member that was on less than 30 days you could do a "One Touch Ban and Sweep". Which bans them and wipes out all their posts by clicking that option. Also came in handy for previously banned users that kept coming back.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
Next time try installing the filter with a hammer and chisel.

Looks exactly like what has happened!
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
No surprise, the troll is one post and hasn't been heard of since.

Nope, and hasn't logged on since the post either.

GHT did that several times too, posting once and then never returning under that screen name. But the name wasn't banned so it's not as if the poster is blocked. How bizarre.

i kept the tab open on my browser and was meaning to read the replies and reply myself all week, but just getting around to it, (give me a break, i got real A.D.D.)
and no........i'm not a "troll", lol, i'm a real forum user person, and even know you guys have a good sense of humor, and were having a good time ragging on me, but no need to be so hard on me, i mean i really was just trying to figure out the cause of the hole or crack, which was leaking oil, but one thing i did'nt think about was that when i took the pictures, that it would also be showing all the damage which was done when removing the filter (which i did fast and aggressively), cause it was dark and parked by the curb outside my place and neighbors were going to bed and had to get it done before it was too late to be making noise, and i did'nt care about damaging it since i was'nt using it again, but i did forget that i would be taking pictures of it afterwards and posting it on a forum asking questions to as what happened to the filter ?, lol, but i do remember before removing it, that when i was looking at it, the main damage was just the slit that was leaking the oil out, and it did'nt have all those scrape marks and dents all over it. but at this point, i already learned my lesson and to always handtighten only and never ever use filter wrench installing a filter, but just want to also point out that i've been working on my own cars and doing my own oil changes since 1991, and have'nt done anything or overtighten any oil filters to cause it to be damaged in any way, so i usually do it the right way, but this time i might of been careless and just wanted to finish it quick or maybe i did do it ok and was debris from the road that caused it?, but we will never know really anyway,

i know when i made this post that people on the forum would'nt have a definate answer and tell me exactly what happened to it, it was just to get opinions to what they thought happened to it, and i got enough opinions where i have a good idea to what i think happened to it, so i'm happy with that since thats all i was wanting to hear.

The definite answer is that (if this is a true story), you did that damage either by installing it with a tool, or striking something on the road.

User error is the cause of this, one way or another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back