Highway 50 thru Nevada

As far as I know, the only part of US-50 I've traveled in Nevada is the road between Stateline, NV to Carson City. I wouldn't call that part terribly desolate. It's right along the east side of Lake Tahoe and there are some spectacular views. I think I took a loop around Spooner Lake at Lake Tahoe - Nevada State Park.

As the state capital, Carson City has a lot of museums. I took my kid to the state railway museum and went on a train ride.

Shel, I just thought of a detour that could take most of a day. I assume you'll be coming from the Bay Area on I-80. Instead of getting on US 50 at Fernley, take the exit just before, toward Wadsworth and Pyramid Lake.

Highway 447 will take you up to Nixon, where the Pyramid Lake Museum and Visitors Center is worth a look.

Then continue up 447 to Gerlach. The Black Rock Desert is north of town. You can drive your Camry out on the playa if it hasn't been wet recently, and visit Dooby Lane, against the mountains at the west side of the playa.

Planet X Pottery is northwest of town on 447. That's an interesting place to find a gift for your lady friend, or just to look around.

That is one of the "loneliest" corners of the entire U.S. It would be a great place to see the stars.
Thanks so much for the suggestion. I've not explored that area at all even though I have some friends living in Sparks. Both the museum and the landscape look inviting as does Planet X Pottery. One of my very closest friends works with clay and she's started teaching me a few things. Doohas aroused my curiosity, too.by Lane

I had planned to take 50 out of Sacramento, but perhaps I'll make this side trip, although I might do it on the way home instead. In any case, I'll definitely get there.

The spot mentioned earlier where you can see the earthquake fault is Fairview Peak. If you can drive up to the top it is quite a view. If you’re lucky you might see some Navy jet activity. Great spot for stargazing as well.

If you’re interested in Cold War stuff, you can check out the Shoal Project nuclear test site. It’s located just south of 50, east of Fallon. It’s about 5 miles of paved road and just under 4 miles of maintained gravel. Your GPS will get you there.

There’s a small marker at surface ground zero(who wouldn’t want to stand at ground zero of a nuclear explosion?). Otherwise the site is pretty much hidden in plain sight. Grab a piece of the white granite from the placement tunnel tailing pile for a souvenir if you want.
https://www.stephensstephens.com/ee...ty-list/project-shoal-nuclear-explosion-site/

Ed

Well, today's the day. I'm just about fully packed and ready to head out to Highway 50. First stop will be Sparks, NV to visit friends and from there, it's off to explore. The trip will be a little shorter than anticipated, but it's still a road trip. As soon as the last camera battery is fully charged, I'm outta here.

Thanks again to everyone for their suggestions. This should be fun.

Be safe and happy shooting!
View from friends' deck, Sparks, NV
20230701_170357.jpg

• Love
Reactions: GON
Back