High silicon average in OA? Solved!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Received an OA from Blacktstone Labs for my 2012 2.7L 4 cylinder 2TR-FE Toyota Tacoma 4X4 with 95,661 miles, 5,941 miles OCI. Everything looked great except a high Silicon average? Blackstone said in comments possible silicon leaked from a recent repair, or possibly dirt making it's way past air filter? Ok, no repairs. But did notice and remembered during this oil change when checking my air filter lid wasn't securely seated. Didn't think anything of it since I just replaced air filter @ 90,000 miles. Good catch on Blackstone Lab's part, and me remembering the unsecured/not properly seated air filter lid.

BTW: my silicon reading was 25. Last OA it was 18 @ 89,720 miles. Universal average is 13. Will post complete OA later when time permits. M1 EP 0W-20.

Last edited:
It's good you caught it in less than 6k miles. Could you post your report, it would be interesting to see.

Last edited:
Good you found an issue. But it may or may not have been a real issue. I have chased some and found & fixed some but they did not help with the UOA all that much.

Diesel trucks have a little gauge in the air filter housing. They don't want you to open up the housing until the gauge shows restrictive. I typically check in early winter for mice anyway.

I just replaced my air filter element @ 30K of use.

From a shipped jug of oil I transferred a "Sealed to Prevent Leaking" sticker....essentially to amuse myself.

After wrestling to OPEN the filter's box, peel up the filter THEN seat the new one THEN arduously locate the 3 hinge tabs, align them THEN coax the plastic box with screwdrivers and sticks so it closed properly I decided to remove my joke sticker and add one from my P-Touch.

"Element changed @ 102K. Do not open until 132K" If I sell the car I'll add below that one.....

"No grease monkey usable parts inside - Read sticker above"

Im On 54k of use on my current air filter. The restriction gauge sits at 11"of water. Hasn't moved in a long time. I haven't opened it either

Originally Posted by E150GT
Im On 54k of use on my current air filter. The restriction gauge sits at 11"of water. Hasn't moved in a long time. I haven't opened it either

You trust your continuous, same gauge reading more than I would have.
If for no other reason than just curiosity, I would have opened it weeks ago.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back