High miles on 0W20 oils?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The chances are great that before 20 years/300k miles a vehicle will either rust out especially in the rust belt, get into a accident or get stolen/broken into.

I throw that last one in there since I'm in a very high auto crime region.

If none of that comes to fruition then there is no reason a properly maintained and driven vehicle with 0w20 in the crankcase cannot make those goals provided with a bit of luck which is needed in all things.

I have put some 505K on Ford Duratech engines using mostly M1 0-20 oils with great results. The 2007 Fusion is now at 250K and runs great. I did fill with M1 5-20HM last change to see if a very very slight weep around the VC would stop.

Originally Posted by Jaglenn
So I have a Lexus 2015 LS 460. It's supposed to get 5W30. The Mechanic put in Castrol 0W20 today. Are you saying this is a good thing? I thought maybe 0W30 because winter time but 20?

I owned a Lexus LS460 for five years, the earlier models "could use" 5w30, 5w20, 0w20...but I believe the latter models were spec'd for 5w20, 0w20.

One thing I wouldn't do with that engine, I wouldn't do extended drains. I'd keep it at 5,000 miles. There are multiple threads on clublexus.com on oil consumption. I loved my LS460 but once it hit 150,000 miles it really started consuming oil - then it got worse and worse - finally traded it in with 178,000 miles on the clock. Rings were shot, lots of oil through the intake, spark plugs would get oil soaked, valve guides were worn too. I ran 5w20 for the life of that vehicle, then I upped it to 5w30 when I hit 150,000. Didn't help with the oil consumption. I probably still could have driven that car another 100k though...it ran great...no check engine lights, no misfires.

Originally Posted by PimTac
The chances are great that before 20 years/300k miles a vehicle will either rust out especially in the rust belt, get into a accident or get stolen/broken into.

I throw that last one in there since I'm in a very high auto crime region.

If none of that comes to fruition then there is no reason a properly maintained and driven vehicle with 0w20 in the crankcase cannot make those goals provided with a bit of luck which is needed in all things.

Good post; people don't realize how hard it is to get a vehicle over 300,000 miles..the effort it takes, the repairs, the care and most importantly...the luck. Rust, accidents, hitting a [censored] deer, a turkey or two (I've done that believe it or not, put a good $1,000 in damage. Expensive turkey).

And then things just start to wear, they really do. Driving that 300k mile car/truck isn't a lot of fun. I've done it - there are things you'll just have to live with - like a vibration that you can't seem to fix, or an oil leak that's not all that bad, but way too expensive and unrealistic to fix. Then you replace some of the suspesion with aftermarket parts, then those parts fail, then you replace some more, then THOSE fail. Then you just can't keep up with it, you live with it a bit. And then you find yourself with a laundry list of things that need to be replaced and you ask yourself...ok, maybe it's time to bail? This isn't fun anymore and it's not realistic.

Thats wonderful. Except shouldn't you get thinner synthetic oil as car gets older? Maybe clean it out a bit? We bought the 2015 last year with 102k kilometers on it that's only 62k miles. I think we got a deal. I'm just wondering if we should run 5W20 in summer heat instead of 0W20.

Thats wonderful. Except shouldn't you get thinner synthetic oil as car gets older? Maybe clean it out a bit? We bought the 2015 last year with 102k kilometers on it that's only 62k miles. I think we got a deal. I'm just wondering if we should run 5W20 in summer heat instead of 0W20.

Really? Why, is the 5W-20 thicker than the 0W-20?

OKAY. I'm waiting on a technical answer to prove your thinking

Except shouldn't you get thinner synthetic oil as car gets older?

My thinking is that a thicker oil in older worn engines is better. Most (if not all) hm oils are on the thickest end of the viscosity scale.

Thin oil in aged vehicles usually consumes more.
Thinner than what's recommended in owners manuals after warranty expiration, should be tested first. Try it once and keep an eye & ear out for issues.

If all goes well enough, then consider using it more. GDI/TGDI engines may need to be inspected internally, after repeated us of thinner oil after warranty expiration. Buildups might occur that are unseen with the naked eye, without looking at engine internals.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Thinner than what's recommended in owners manuals after warranty expiration, should be tested first. Try it once and keep an eye & ear out for issues.

If all goes well enough, then consider using it more. GDI/TGDI engines may need to be inspected internally, after repeated us of thinner oil after warranty expiration. Buildups might occur that are unseen with the naked eye, without looking at engine internals.

That is so far from right. I bet TIG1 will highly disagree with this information btw

Wonderfully, no.

Thanks for the answers. I was just researching Castrol edge 0W20 very good reviews. And better for my car!!
I love my car....Just looking out for it. Take care of the engine and I'll have it a while. All the Electronics in it though....yikes. In Canada. Heated steering wheel heated or cooled seats. Back up cameras. Large side mirrors with auto defrost.
On the highway a lot but no track racing. Not with this car. Should I put in 5W20 in the summer? Lots of 80 to 90 degree weather in the summer.

If you like Castrol, I'd consider Magnatec 0W-20...

Originally Posted by kschachn

Really? Why, is the 5W-20 thicker than the 0W-20?

I think this one has been here before.

🎹ðŸƒ

Originally Posted by 53' Stude

That is so far from right. I bet TIG1 will highly disagree with this information btw

First paragraph I might marginally agree with. Second? Just doesn't make sense. Not sure what buildups might form from those oils in GDI type engines, assuming the right spec is met.

Adam
My discussion centers on on using a thinner oil as the vehicle ages. Tig1 stays with 0W20.
Two different MO's

Adam
My discussion centers on on using a thinner oil as the vehicle ages. Tig1 stays with 0W20.
Two different MO's

Ok.... so, I shouldn't follow my owners manual that states 5w20 eh?

TIG1 is kinda like me: he uses what his owners manual states.

Your owners manual requires (or) recommends?
Does it offer you more than one grade?

#1. REQUIRES

#2. NOPE

Originally Posted by ad244
I wonder if those Tundras that are hitting 1 Million + miles are using 0w-20?

The two Tundra's with a million miles I know about, both have the 4.7L V8. That engine specs 5W-30

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back