High miles on 0W20 oils?

Has anyone gone high miles on 0W20 or 5W20 oils? 300k miles or more? You hear about engines (older Lexus in my case, 328k) on 0W20 (Signature) and also 5W30 Amsoil (HDD and Signature). I always did oil analysis and the HDD actually did best. But to be fair, the 5W30 didn't get its 25k+ mile analysis, car was totaled and I didn't put the effort into analyzing it. I have a 08 GS450h now, will do first oil change at dealer on Wed.
 
Messages
11,934
Location
North Carolina
I'm curious about GDI engines with high miles. MPFI engines i can see going high miles. But what is to be seen , is GDI with 20wt oils and fuel dilution. May be too early to tell yet.
 
Last edited:
Messages
234
Location
Illinois
Originally Posted by The Critic
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...ew-my-2011-prius-turned-200k#Post5287011 200K, almost all oil changes have been with 0w-20. I am currently using Valvoline Premium Blue Restore to cleaning the rings, but plan to return to a 0w-20.
How is it preforming on that 10w30? I've been curious because i might run it in a 4.0 Jeep that needs some thorough cleaning. Also if your engine runs alright on 10w30 why not go 0w30 or 5w30 when you switch back to regular oil.
 
Messages
22,288
Location
CA
Originally Posted by Jetsfan421
Originally Posted by The Critic
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...ew-my-2011-prius-turned-200k#Post5287011 200K, almost all oil changes have been with 0w-20. I am currently using Valvoline Premium Blue Restore to cleaning the rings, but plan to return to a 0w-20.
How is it preforming on that 10w30? I've been curious because i might run it in a 4.0 Jeep that needs some thorough cleaning. Also if your engine runs alright on 10w30 why not go 0w30 or 5w30 when you switch back to regular oil.
It runs fine on the 10w-30. I really do not have a need for the higher viscosity, so I no reason to not go back to 0w-20 (or 5w-20).
 
Messages
1,675
Location
WA
it will be challenging for Cars these days to make it 20 years / 300K. They may make it 10 yrs / 300K I don't think new engines (di, eb, cylinder activate/deactivate, etc.) are as durable as MPFI engines. Also other parts of car don't last as long either.
 
Messages
4,100
Location
Kansas
Originally Posted by EyesofThunder
Has anyone gone high miles on 0W20 or 5W20 oils? 300k miles or more? You hear about engines (older Lexus in my case, 328k) on 0W20 (Signature) and also 5W30 Amsoil (HDD and Signature). I always did oil analysis and the HDD actually did best. But to be fair, the 5W30 didn't get its 25k+ mile analysis, car was totaled and I didn't put the effort into analyzing it. I have a 08 GS450h now, will do first oil change at dealer on Wed.


_20191209_004625.JPG
 
Messages
607
Location
The ATL
Brother in law's 2008 Tundra 5.7 went 296,000 miles on TGMO 0w-20 before it was totaled in an accident. Didn't use a drop of oil between 8000 mile oil changes.
 

NO2

Messages
941
Location
Michigan
I ran almost 300K on a 1994 Mercury Villager (Nissan 3.0 V6 engine) running M1 5w20 before I sold it. The new owner went well over 300K. The engine ran great, but the A/C, wipers, rear fan, radio, cruise control, etc. etc. had all broken by that time. I changed the oil every 6-7K, it used 1/2 Q at that interval.
 
Messages
3
Location
Ontario, canada
So I have a Lexus 2015 LS 460. It's supposed to get 5W30. The Mechanic put in Castrol 0W20 today. Are you saying this is a good thing? I thought maybe 0W30 because winter time but 20?
 
Messages
2,892
Location
Chicagoland
Originally Posted by Jaglenn
So I have a Lexus 2015 LS 460. It's supposed to get 5W30. The Mechanic put in Castrol 0W20 today. Are you saying this is a good thing? I thought maybe 0W30 because winter time but 20?
Assuming you won't be driving it hard/on a track, it'll be fine.
 
Messages
1,441
Location
CA
Originally Posted by Jaglenn
So I have a Lexus 2015 LS 460. It's supposed to get 5W30. The Mechanic put in Castrol 0W20 today. Are you saying this is a good thing? I thought maybe 0W30 because winter time but 20?
Who says it is supposed to get 5w30?
 
Messages
13,196
Location
Maricopa Arizona
Originally Posted by OilUzer
it will be challenging for Cars these days to make it 20 years / 300K. They may make it 10 yrs / 300K I don't think new engines (di, eb, cylinder activate/deactivate, etc.) are as durable as MPFI engines. Also other parts of car don't last as long either.
It is challenging for autos from any area to make it anywhere close to 20 years 300K miles. The percentage of any make it model making it that far and long has to be low single digits.
 
Messages
13,196
Location
Maricopa Arizona
OP also 0W20 is such a recent grade the amount of vehicles using is to 300K miles is slim pickings but there is no reason why a properly built and maintained engine can't make it to 300K miles using 0W20.
 
Messages
2,961
Location
Western S.C.
Originally Posted by dave1251
... It is challenging for autos from any area to make it anywhere close to 20 years 300K miles. The percentage of any make it model making it that far and long has to be low single digits.
Yeah, but, the percentage with potential to make it that far (if not done in prematurely by accident, salt, abuse, boredom, poor maintenance, etc.) is much higher.
 
Messages
3
Location
Ontario, canada
Thanks for the answers. I was just researching Castrol edge 0W20 very good reviews. And better for my car!! I love my car....Just looking out for it. Take care of the engine and I'll have it a while. All the Electronics in it though....yikes. In Canada. Heated steering wheel heated or cooled seats. Back up cameras. Large side mirrors with auto defrost. On the highway a lot but no track racing. Not with this car. Should I put in 5W20 in the summer? Lots of 80 to 90 degree weather in the summer.
 
Top