High Mileage Yukon - Oil Filter question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rock Auto lists the Fram 3506 as a short,
and the 3675 as the long...

Plugging those into Wix web site...
Short - 51042
Long - 51522

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/gmc,2005,yukon+xl+1500,5.3l+v8,1431234,engine,oil+filter,5340

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Originally Posted by Doublehaul

The grade or filter type matters little as long as you adjust your oci accordingly

Not entirely true. Some engines can be finicky when it comes to flow, even with a filter right out of the box. Kia/Hyundai engines for example are notorious for this.

But your broader point isn't lost on me; it's ok to experiment but I would just add that to put a little more thought than passing into your selection of filter.

Edit: full flow/OE filters are called out in Kia/Hyundai TSB's as a remedy for engine noise

I have a feeling the Kia/Hyundai TSB came out stemming from counterfeit oil filters that were complete junk and didn't flow since the media was probably made from recycled paper - who knows what the filter counterfeiters do. Plenty of guys here run main stream non-OEM Kia/Hyundai filters and don't seem to have any engine noise issues from the filter.

Is this 4wd? I coulda sworn on my old '05 Yukon a longer filter woulda played footsie with the front pinion yoke, but maybe I'm remembering wrong.

Sold it with 240k, OCI's of 10k and whatever filter and oil I had on hand. Filters ranged from Wix to Bosch to AC Delco to Microgard. Oil all over the map. Used about a quart between changes. Purchased with 136k.

Originally Posted by D60

Sold it with 240k, OCI's of 10k and whatever filter and oil I had on hand. Filters ranged from Wix to Bosch to AC Delco to Microgard. Oil all over the map. Used about a quart between changes. Purchased with 136k.

as in whatever conventional oil you had on hand? 10k on 'whatever oil' is pretty ballsy. I agree, those 5.3s are hard to hurt. Mine is at 278k and has had loud piston slap forever. Im assuming based on your regimen, you never did a UOA?

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Originally Posted by Doublehaul

The grade or filter type matters little as long as you adjust your oci accordingly

Not entirely true. Some engines can be finicky when it comes to flow, even with a filter right out of the box. Kia/Hyundai engines for example are notorious for this.

But your broader point isn't lost on me; it's ok to experiment but I would just add that to put a little more thought than passing into your selection of filter.

Edit: full flow/OE filters are called out in Kia/Hyundai TSB's as a remedy for engine noise

I have a feeling the Kia/Hyundai TSB came out stemming from counterfeit oil filters that were complete junk and didn't flow since the media was probably made from recycled paper - who knows what the filter counterfeiters do. Plenty of guys here run main stream non-OEM Kia/Hyundai filters and don't seem to have any engine noise issues from the filter.

Very possible. And I too have run non OE filters without a hitch. I've ran Wix, B/A, Champ, Fram EG or Delco and OE (-obviously) without issues. In fact I've got a Delco filter in there right now..no issues whatsoever.

Originally Posted by GMLSGUY
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted by GMLSGUY
Hey folks, I'm glad to be a part of the board! I have a 2005 GMC Yukon XL SLE with the 5.3 engine. It has 275,000 miles on it and drives like a champ. I drive it 7 days a week. It's time for an oil change and I've thought about switching oil filters. I always use the standard ACDelco filter and 6qts of Mobil 1 5w30 full syn. I've read lots of good things about the NAPA Gold 1042 (believe it's a rebranded WIX?). I know WIX makes awesome filters. I've also read up on Fram Ultra Guard being another great filter. THEN I started reading up on the longer filters. Are there any benefits to running a longer oil filter? Some people swear by it, others don't. I believe the part number for the longer filter is 1522. Thanks for all the help! I'll be changing the oil this evening.

Why would you go away from the filter that got you 275,000 miles on your 5.3? Don't fix something that isn't broken.

A good friend of mine was having some startup noise and lower oil pressure readings with the ACDelco filter and switched to a WIX and now has neither. I do not believe it's coincidence either. I used to run Fram extra gard filters on my Jeep Cherokee with the 4.0 Inline 6 and had lots of startup valvetrain noise and lower than I'm happy with oil pressure readings. I switched to Wix and never looked back. Oil Pressure was tested before and after with a mechanical oil pressure gauge and it showed 10psi difference with a Wix than the Fram. I'm not trying to steer away, but if there's better for the same price or maybe just a hair more then why not make the switch!?

This is exactly why I refuse to use AC DELCO filters. I had 2 seperate occurances with low oil pressure on AC DELCO filters on my 2006 Sierra. Each time there would be no oil pressure but when you gave it some gas the oil pressure would suddenly come back up. First time it happened I was 1000 miles from home towing my RV and it happened at a gas station. Then every start after that same thing - no pressure until you revved motor. I got to the camp ground, grabbed a new filter (not AC DELCO), installed it and problem went away for good. Then the same thing happened again on another oil change interval- same scenario and an AC DELCO filter. Changed filter - problem goes away. I stopped using them. Never had another oil pressure issue again in the following 100k+ miles using Wix filters and the occasional Mobil 1 or Bosch filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back