Heston's chicken stock

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Christmas supper after a great lunch was to take the roast duck carcass, and pork rack, 1/4 cup of cider vinegar (to get the Ca/Mg out), and boil for a few hours...beautiful bone stock, and I sipped a few cups for my 44th b'Day...

anyway, saw Heston cook chicken stock the other day. Chicken wings (full of joints and tendons), and he coated them with milk powder (proteins and animal sugars), then roasted them crisp, and made stock out of them in a pressure cooker.

Tried it the other day. Caramelisation came on quickly, and very evenly without burning/blackness, made the wings "quite" crispy.

Took them, cleavered them into 1/2-3/4" sections (lots of bone surface area), added 1/4 cup of cider vinegar, and water (a bit). Simmered over gas for a couple of hours. Turned gas off and let sit overnight. Another hour of simmering in the morning, and strained.

Awesome...the stock jellied beautifully, and tasted awesome.

Better half added veges and chicken meat for tonight's dinner.

Heston's science FTW !!!

Shannow, I make my stock from all the leftover parts from a few roasted chickens.

I hack them up, Take a can of tomato paste and brush them evenly.
roast and turn frequently. I use a sturdy oven proof Hotel pan.

Take them out when nicely caramelised and then throw it all
in a pot of water.

Add a little white wine to the hotel pan and heat it up on a burner scraping all the bits out and trow them in the stock pot as well.

Season to taste, add a tied up fresh herbs and a whole onion split in half and reduce it for about 2-3 hrs.

Great stuff.

Last edited:
I've done it that way too...I always add vinegar, to get the most minerals in the broth.

The milk powder was an interesting sideline 'though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back