Here it is, first Rotella Gas Truck 5W30 VOA

Dave, funny you say $3/qt. It's actually $13.97/5qts right now with the rebate, so $2.79/qt plus tax.

I don't really care about the price; I care if it will protect my engine for an OCI I feel is reasonable, and that it doesn't cost me a significant amount of MPG in the process.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Dave, funny you say $3/qt. It's actually $13.97/5qts right now with the rebate, so $2.79/qt plus tax.

I don't really care about the price; I care if it will protect my engine for an OCI I feel is reasonable, and that it doesn't cost me a significant amount of MPG in the process.

Or you could just run Pennzoil Platinum and likely get it cheaper.

So in the opinion of the BITOG community what would be better for a port and direct injection motor, say like the gen 3 Ford 5.0, QSUD, Pennzoil Platinum or this new truck oil from Shell?

Thanks for posting.
thumbsup2.gif

*Yawn* at the ingredients we can see other than the healthy dose of Moly...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Env1ous
There is a much simpler fix for LSPI that EPA and car manufacturers don't want you to know about, because they negatively impact the CAFE mandated mileage results.

If you have a "manumatic" shifter and are driving low speeds with heavy loading and boost, click it over and grab a lower gear to keep the RPMs up. If you have a CVT with paddle shifters you can do the same things.

Last option is a little tougher these days: simply refuse to buy a car with a TGDI engine and stick to N/A gas or a turbo diesel. If the TGDIs aren't selling they can't positively impact CAFE numbers at the expense of consumer displeasure.

Yup, When I get on it I make sure I get into a higher rpm. I do have the select shift and use that when I need to. Otherwise my tune does a pretty good job of keeping it from bogging down! The only time I have an issue is climbing steep mountains the truck wants to make all of its power at 2krpm and use high boost but then I just lock out 6th gear and it knows what to do lol

Manual mode in my parents 2013 Escape 2.0 EB in the hills definitely improved mileage. Even using "sport mode" would let it run the revs higher so it wouldn't be overfueling.

I checked local walmart and for a jug it was $24 but I couldn't find any quart containers lol I need 6qts so I gotta figure something out. But for that price I would be fine to use it. Doesn't look like a bad oil at all, sure nothing special about it but nothing bad either.

Originally Posted by Env1ous
I checked local walmart and for a jug it was $24 but I couldn't find any quart containers lol I need 6qts so I gotta figure something out. But for that price I would be fine to use it. Doesn't look like a bad oil at all, sure nothing special about it but nothing bad either.

My local Napa has the jugs and quarts in all flavors. Jugs are $24.99. Quarts are $5.49. I just put the 0w20 in my Jeep.

There is a much simpler fix for LSPI that EPA and car manufacturers don't want you to know about, because they negatively impact the CAFE mandated mileage results.
If you have a "manumatic" shifter and are driving low speeds with heavy loading and boost, click it over and grab a lower gear to keep the RPMs up. If you have a CVT with paddle shifters you can do the same things.
Last option is a little tougher these days: simply refuse to buy a car with a TGDI engine and stick to N/A gas or a turbo diesel. If the TGDIs aren't selling they can't positively impact CAFE numbers at the expense of consumer displeasure.

Even in automatic mode, I can stab at the downshift paddle on my FXT to force the CVT to grab some more revs...this is a really handy feature that I use a lot!
I thought I would be paddle shifting all the time when I bought the thing, but the paddle response in manual mode is just too slow for "fun" driving.
I do paddle shift in bad winter weather, nice to be able to take advantage of engine braking on the hills around my house...

Here is how Rottela Gas Truck stacks up against some other SOPUS products including the new Pennzoil Platinum Ultra. Let me know if you see any errors. Some Data is missing and all the data is taken from VOAs from this forum.

98FE0DA4-01D2-4978-A758-1BF27D886153.jpeg

Nice summary above! I do like the extra moly in RGT, probably needed to overcome a little extra hydrodynamic drag since its not too far away from being a 40 oil.
RGT can thin by 2.5 cSt before its not declared a "30" weight, margin enough.
Pick RGT here since its Shell's latest effort, meaning they have access to newer chemical additive technology to use in it.

Rotella Multi-Vehicle may be better in a gasoline DI from in the way it handles the carbon soot problem (dispersants, etc.). It has higher HTHS from the diesel specs it meets too.
Just something to consider if you're looking at Snagglefoot's VOA comparison.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Nice summary above! I do like the extra moly in RGT, probably needed to overcome a little extra hydrodynamic drag since its not too far away from being a 40 oil.

I'd like to know the HTHS on the Rotella Gas Truck. I have a feeling that the KV values on it (and on QSUD) are misleading us a little. I remember the days of 10w-40 where the HTHS would be around 3.0.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Rotella Multi-Vehicle may be better in a gasoline DI from in the way it handles the carbon soot problem (dispersants, etc.). It has higher HTHS from the diesel specs it meets too.
Just something to consider if you're looking at Snagglefoot's VOA comparison.

If the oil isn't available at the local Walmart the oil doesn't exist. I would run it though, a heavy on the viscosity and additives 30 wt oil gives plenty of protection.

Back