Help with gift idea - Vacuum Sealer

Looking to buy my wife a vacuum sealer for Christmas, but I have zero experience with these and don't know what to look for. I want a decent unit even if it costs some coin, one that will last. I keep seeing online bags and rolls of plastic for sealer use--- do certain ones use rolls versus bags? What is the most economical way to get replacement bags/rolls, I see they can get pretty pricey. If anyone has any recommendations on one they've used or know about, or any info on the subject, I'd appreciate it.

I have this one and it works perfectly Foodsaver FM3920 You should be able to get it for about $100 It comes with all the bags and a vacuum seal roll to get you started. They do use bags or rolls .

Get a chamber vacuum sealer, whatever size you require. I used to work in a butcher shop as a teen and used one professionally. It blows a Foodsaver away completely and is much more versatile. The bags are cheaper and are available from any restaurant supply store.

A vacuum sealer is a fabulous kitchen and household storage tool—we've a Foodsealer for ten years or so, and it's a great device for prepping food for significant storage time/freezing. But useful tools for general household duties (irons, vacuum cleaners, toasters, and other typical kitchen or household gadgetry), don't seem like great holiday gift ideas for a spouse, unless they've specifically asked for it as a gift.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Get a chamber vacuum sealer, whatever size you require. I used to work in a butcher shop as a teen and used one professionally. It blows a Foodsaver away completely and is much more versatile. The bags are cheaper and are available from any restaurant supply store.
This! I have a foodsaver and am looking to get a chamber machine at some point. You can seal up a bag of soup if you wanted in the chamber machine.

Originally Posted by khittner
A vacuum sealer is a fabulous kitchen and household storage tool—we've a Foodsealer for ten years or so, and it's a great device for prepping food for significant storage time/freezing. But useful tools for general household duties (irons, vacuum cleaners, toasters, and other typical kitchen or household gadgetry), don't seem like great holiday gift ideas for a spouse, unless they've specifically asked for it as a gift.
This a friend found out the hard way.. on the other hand next year she wanted a vacuum and loved it (lol) all kinds of hoover jokes at the next year's christmas party.