Help! Petro-Can synthetic good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not being up on my oil technology or chemistry, how do you tell if a particular synthetic oil is of a high quality? The oils in question are Petro-Can's Duron (heavy duty diesel) synthetic and their Synthetic Passenger Car oil. I have downloaded as much technical info from their website as I thought neccesary. Is the total base number the one to be looking at? For the Duron synthetic 5w40 it's 10.9 and for the "synthetic passenger car oil" 5w03 it's 7.6
gr_eek2.gif
I'm wondering what group these oils are. There was some info in the gas engine oil section of this site but I keep getting flashed-over to this "DO YOU MAKE THESE OIL CHANGING MISTAKES? CLICK HERE" page every time I try to go back there.
banghead.gif

Those TBN's are a bit low by HDEO standards generally. Petro Canada's 'synthetic' oils are group III hydrocracked products to the best of my knowledge.

A high TBN is a definite requirement for extended drains, especially with diesel engines.

I wouldn't hesitate to use the Petro Canada products, but I think you might find better value with the Esso XD-3 lineup.

Your right, they are a hydrocracked group III. I just delved further into the bowels of the Petro-Can website. I'm after group IV PAO oils for my motorcycle and 4X4. Does Esso XD-3 fall under that catagory?

quote:

Originally posted by tukeanu:
Your right, they are a hydrocracked group III. I just delved further into the bowels of the Petro-Can website. I'm after group IV PAO oils for my motorcycle and 4X4. Does Esso XD-3 fall under that catagory?

In 0W-30 and 0W-40 grades, yes. Just beware of old stock!

Yeah, I wonder if XD-3 0w-40 would work in a bike? I have not heard or read of anyone using a 0w-X oil in a bike before. It would be great if this high quality oil could find a home in the sumps of my bikes (where American RTS lives now)...

John.

Well the Shell Rotella T SB synthetic 0W40 available at Canadian Tire is 100% synthetic (PAO I assume) but I have been warned off using it in a bike engine.
nono.gif

quote:

Originally posted by tukeanu:
Not being up on my oil technology or chemistry, how do you tell if a particular synthetic oil is of a high quality? The oils in question are Petro-Can's Duron (heavy duty diesel) synthetic and their Synthetic Passenger Car oil. I have downloaded as much technical info from their website as I thought neccesary. Is the total base number the one to be looking at? For the Duron synthetic 5w40 it's 10.9 and for the "synthetic passenger car oil" 5w03 it's 7.6
gr_eek2.gif
I'm wondering what group these oils are. There was some info in the gas engine oil section of this site but I keep getting flashed-over to this "DO YOU MAKE THESE OIL CHANGING MISTAKES? CLICK HERE" page every time I try to go back there.
banghead.gif

Why are you not considering Esso XD-3 Synthetic?

Agreed, not sure about the bike but for a 4x4 the 0w30 XD-3 for under $4/L is the best bang for your back in Canada imo for "normally" driven engines. It's group IV/PAO according to Esso and it's also a thick 30 weight at 12.2 cst. Look for my latest analysis on the 0w30 in the diesel section, the oil performed very well in my engine considering the conditions it was put through and the fuel dilution of the 6.0 PSD.
banghead.gif

You will find that the oil analysis experiences of others using the Petro Canada synthetic product has left them impressed.

[ February 19, 2005, 07:32 PM: Message edited by: 59 Vetteman ]

I am currently testing it in my 1995 Blazer LT 4.3L with 129,000 miles on the odometer and it is working flawlessly.

Engine will turn over no problem at -30f.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back