Help me pick a tire for our Volvo

Hey kids, The OEM P7s on my wife's S60 Inscription (235-45/18) are wearing pretty quickly, even with proper alignment and will need to be replaced within the next 3-5K miles. Thinking about General Gmax AS-05, General Altimax, or maybe one of the Continental Touring tires. I hear the Gmax can be a little noisy, but is an otherwise great tire, so that is the current front runner and seems to offer a high value for a performance tire. Those would all be purchased at Discount Tire. The additional wildcard would be a Bridgestone Potenza purchased at Costco. Also of small concern, I didn't realize it until after we bought it (CPO car with 5K miles), that this car does not have a spare tire of any kind. Just an inflation kit. bummer. Any first hand great/awful experiences with any of these or general feedback, I'd love to hear it. Thank you.

Last edited:

NO2

CR recommendation= top 2: Continetal Purecontact LS - 71 rating, 90K life General Altimax RT43 (V)- 66 rating, 70K life We have the Conti on a V6 Honda and the Generals on a Subaru. Both are great tires and work great in our weather (SE Michigan). We have not felt the need to move to a dedicated winter tire. On a cost per mile basis, the Contis were a little cheaper. Both would be excellent choices for Texas conditions with mostly dry weather, a moderate amount of of rain, and occasional winter snow.

Last edited:

Astro14

Staff member
A 45 series tire is pretty low profile, fairly expensive to replace, in general. I've got 45 series tires on 3 cars, and on two of them (the 2001 V70 and the S600) I went with the Michelin AS3+. A high performance tire. Excellent dry and wet traction. Modest life. Not dangerous (but not great) in snow. I've also got the Continental PureContacts (Eco Plus) on the 2002 Volvo in a 235/45R17. An all-season touring tire with good performance. They've been great tires and I would strongly recommend them. Excellent wear. Good ride. Good handling. Excellen wet and dry grip. Not bad in snow. The Continentals would be a great choice for your wife's car, even though you don't see snow, and tread life is a priority. They will ride better than a really high performance tire, too, and retain a V rating for speed. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Last edited:
Is there room in the trunk for a full-size spare? smile What criteria matter the most to you in a tire? Does winter performance matter at all? If not, get summer tires. You might like the Michelin Primacy 3 or ContiSportContact 5 (there is another ebay listing for the same Michelins for much less, but they are 2014-production) If you can't fit a full-size spare and want to try a runflat, consider the Bridgestone DriveGuard, the only runflat designed for cars not originally equipped with them

The OE Pirelli tires are high performance tires. Of the tires that you listed, the G Max is the only one that meets those specs. The Bridgestone Potenza RE 980 AS would be a good choice. Toyo Proxes are another. Hankook Ventus S1 Noble 2 is another good pick.

My wife has General Gmax AS-05's on her Audi. They are very good in the wet and dry but are a tad louder than the tires that came on the car new. But being an Audi, the car has good sound deadening and it's not an issue. We have a winter wheel & tire set for the Audi so the Generals snow performance doesn't concern us. My Hyundai had Hankook Ventus S1 Noble 2's on it when I bought it used. They are okay but not the best in the wet. I replaced them with Goodyear Exhilarate's Black Friday weekend and the Goodyears are better than anything else I've had on wet pavement by far. Even better than Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3's I had on a GTI. I'd get the Generals. They still maintain very good grip on cold dry roads.