Help me pick a color for my rims

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you are set on white or black- black. White would make it look a little too feminine for me.

If you're open to colors outside of white and black, I would plastidip them in different colors to see what you like most. I'd try a bronze, gunmetal gray, even orange. If you don't like it, simply peel it off and try a different color.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of those rims but I understand wanting to stick with them. I think trying a different variation of colors with something that is easily removable would be your best bet.

You may not like my opinion, but you asked, so here it is...I absolutely hate black wheels on ANY vehicle...I have two rules when it comes to vehicles; wheels should be chrome, and paint should be glossy...

It looks good the way it is but I like the gun metal gray idea if you have to do a change. Maybe the spokes in the grey and leave the outer lip silver. Something like this.

310_FENTON_Ramrod.JPG

Last edited:
I agree. Black wheels RARELY ever look good, IMHO. They always strike me as "dirty". Now, I have seen some that are exceptions, but they are rare.

Personally, I think the wheels look great as they are right now. They go well with the color and look of the car, BUT, if you feel you must change them, a titanium or gunmetal grey, like this color:

[Linked Image]

Black wheels are SO played out unless they are steelies. I don't think people realize that the shift towards black painted wheels is because they are cheaper on new cars than chrome or polishing. Any colour but black, bronze is a good alternative but I would save for a new* set of quality brand name wheels that can perhaps be used on a future car or resold. Grats on not picking up a set of cheap aftermarket wheels, I would rather even black painted stockers any day of the week.

EDIT: New or used set* I always see used wheels on Kijiji, you might be be able to find a set of better factory wheels from a different model/car. OEM wheels outside of their application can be pretty cool, especially if they are from a different brand.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by maxdustington
Black wheels are SO played out unless they are steelies. I don't think people realize that the shift towards black painted wheels is because they are cheaper on new cars than chrome or polishing. Any colour but black, bronze is a good alternative but I would save for a new* set of quality brand name wheels that can perhaps be used on a future car or resold. Grats on not picking up a set of cheap aftermarket wheels, I would rather even black painted stockers any day of the week.

EDIT: New or used set* I always see used wheels on Kijiji, you might be be able to find a set of better factory wheels from a different model/car. OEM wheels outside of their application can be pretty cool, especially if they are from a different brand.

I know a lot of people who actually think black wheels look good...to me they just look like they're covered in brake dust...

Black would not compliment the color of that car. A gunmetal grey would be the darkest and only color I'd choose other than the OEM silver on that baby blue since the windows are tinted.

Last edited:
I think wheels look best when they are 2 contrasting finishes. Whether aluminum and grey, or painted a dull silver with chrome.

Please be wary of (otherwise excellent) facilities doing powder coating. Aluminum wheels are heat treated, and SOME powder coating processes heat it enough to weaken it. Many shops don't understand this.

Originally Posted by George Bynum
Please be wary of (otherwise excellent) facilities doing powder coating. Aluminum wheels are heat treated, and SOME powder coating processes heat it enough to weaken it. Many shops don't understand this.

What kinda temperatures are you talking about ?

Originally Posted by NGRhodes
What kinda temperatures are you talking about ?

Depends on the alloy used, but it is time and temperature dependent ... I've never seen any alloy sensitive at 250F, most are at 350F. I'd have no worries with 2 hours at 250F, but may be wrong. I believe that cast and forged wheels are different alloys ... and would not exceed 250F without KNOWING the alloy.

Originally Posted by Tdog02
Chrome maybe?

Careful there, someone's going to call you old...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back