Heavy fuel oil: can we talk about it?

As someone who in his past was an engineer in an oil refinery, heavy oil is already being thermally cracked and hydrogenated into synthetic crude oil that is further refined into heating oil, gasoline and jet fuel.

Its burned as diesel fuel in international waters because the air pollution regulations at sea are much relaxed.

The ability to turn heavy oil into lighter oil has reduced the market price differences between light and heavy grades of fuel oil.
Yes … we have bought $9 million “tank fulls” for ships as the lower quality stuff fades away … I‘m actually surprised we don’t see more GTL fuel out there … But NG is getting used for plastics and all kinds of things - IMO, we should stop wasting it on power generation …
(I’m in O/K’s camp) …

Yes … we have bought $9 million “tank fulls” for ships as the lower quality stuff fades away … I‘m actually surprised we don’t see more GTL fuel out there … But NG is getting used for plastics and all kinds of things - IMO, we should stop wasting it on power generation …
(I’m in O/K’s camp) …
You make great points. I wish we could do more with heavy fuel instead of polluting air with it. Amazing that USA is a technologically advanced nation.

Never saw #3 diesel. When I look it up I don’t see #3 either🤔
Much more wax and smokier starts but not bunker fuel, Although it was supposedly completely discontinued in 1970 you would continue to see it offered down south.

IMG_4069.jpeg

I’ve been reading about some steam locomotives use heavy fuel oil cut with #2 or #1 diesel fuel. Was wondering where the heavy fuel is stored here in USA. Shame so much of it is burned for power supply r industrial fuel but I guess you can’t do much with it.

The place I was working in the 70's had a crude oil burning boiler. And the shingle factory I worked at for a short time early 2000s used really low grade oil to make asphalt out of.

A lot of terminology varies from region to region.

My area, we call it bunker fuel. So bunker 2, 4, 6.

Other regions call it distillate fuel. Some call it marine fuel. Etc. As long as the idea is passed, the terminology works.
Distillate is #2 & under.
#6 is residual fuel oil
#4 is made with a mix of 2&6
Heavy oils were widely used for heating and industrial plants until the last few years with cheap NG.

Distillate is #2 & under.
#6 is residual fuel oil
#4 is made with a mix of 2&6
Heavy oils were widely used for heating and industrial plants until the last few years with cheap NG.

Bunker 2 and distillate 2 existed at the same time. Had to deal with the sulfur content.

As I said, it’s more of a regional terminology thing. I’m not disagreeing with you, more so pointing out regional terminology differences.

We used to be in that business heavily. But it was primarily replaced by natural gas in the late 70s and early 80s.

Bunker 2 and distillate 2 existed at the same time. Had to deal with the sulfur content.

As I said, it’s more of a regional terminology thing. I’m not disagreeing with you, more so pointing out regional terminology differences.

We used to be in that business heavily. But it was primarily replaced by natural gas in the late 70s and early 80s.
So steam locomotives using it as slightly cheaper than just #1 or #2 fuel

Back