Hate Windows Rant- Unable to open photos _ now able to again

Status
Not open for further replies.
CRAP!

Once again Windows 10 lets me down. After DECADES of computing, I only wish I went to Apple YEARS AGO.
But 10 has been a pain in the neck.
Running an HP AMD A12- RADEON R7 @ 3.80 GHZ.

Windows 10 updates have drove me so nuts that I shut off auto update, then every few months I turned it back on to allow it to update.
Well, low and behold, here we are 5 months or so later, I allow Windows 10 to update again, what happens?/
I can not open ANY photos on my desktop and it will not upload photos from my Nikon d3300... even though is recognizes my camera and model number. I get file error every time!

Well oh crap, just checked as I was posting this because I just remembered my computer did another small update just yesterday and ... I can now open photos, oh and what do you know again, it properly uploads photos from my camera and puts them in the right folder.

I am leaving this post, even though the issue has been cleared up by most likely yet ANOTHER windows update. I will now turn off auto updates again for the next 6 months so I can have a working computer until the next update ... *L*

If freaking APPLE wasnt so darn expensive for desktops I would get one. Price is just insane 300% more for the same as I have in Windows. I dont mind paying for for a better product but .. you know??? 300% ??

Even that simple little Apple Mini for $1200 or so dollars? REALLY? It doesnt include keyboard and Mouse? *L*
Its that or an "All In one" and I hate the idea of an all in one.

Last edited:
Known issue a while ago. Microsoft seems to love to fix things AFTER they release it.

Try Linux.

Originally Posted by alarmguy
CRAP!

Once again Windows 10 lets me down. After DECADES of computing, I only wish I went to Apple YEARS AGO.

If freaking APPLE wasnt so darn expensive for desktops I would get one. Price is just insane 300% more for the same as I have in Windows. I dont mind paying for for a better product but .. you know??? 300% ??

Even that simple little Apple Mini for $1200 or so dollars? REALLY? It doesnt include keyboard and Mouse? *L*

Went to Apple iMac 2 or 3 years ago after the umpteenth W10 screw-up and never regretted it. Still run W10 on a laptop because of a program that doesn't work with Apple, but that's the only reason! Apple is more money, but they are better built and will outlast a PC 5 to 1 so in the end it may prove cheaper, plus the Apple support you get is umbelievable, not that I need it much
smile.gif

Last edited:
Unless you have an iPhone, ipod, iPads or other apple products that will easily interface with an apple computer, your frustrations may be even greater, as apple computers are not that great at interfacing with non apple products. And not all programs are compatible with apple as well.

The simplest solution is to ditch windows 10 and install windows 8. Run win 8 until it stops being supported.

No system is perfect and having owned a macbook air for about 7 years now, the macOS has plenty of shortcomings. It has plenty of positives as well.
Personally I could not go 100% macOS and iOS, but I'm sure there are others that are perfectly happy 100% apple.

If you want to get your feet wet with apple and see if the grass is truly greener on the other side for you, I would recommend getting a used macbook air. They can be had for around $300-400.

Originally Posted by Pelican
! Apple is more money, but they are better built and will outlast a PC 5 to 1 so in the end it may prove cheaper, plus the Apple support you get is umbelievable, not that I need it much
smile.gif

A common misconception. Sure, that nice aluminum case is built better, but the electronic components are not any better. In fact apple has plenty of problems with corroding solder joints or delaminating chips because their cooling algorithms prioritize quietness over performance and they overheat.

What's even worse, their "genius bars" or authorized repair center don't actuall repair any components, they will change the whole board even if one easily fixed connector, or pin is broken. Or will talk their customers into getting a new product, since their "repairs" are very expensive.

Bought a Lenovo ThinkCentre Tiny last year. Needed it in a hurry and it came with Win 10--extra $50 or so. Killed it immediately with Ubuntu Mate 18.04. Had second thoughts about keeping it on as a dual boot since I hadn't used anything later than Win 7. No regrets when I read stuff like this.

It's terrible. My company manages school districts with Win 10 and every time there is an update it screws up everything.

I am so grateful that the company I work has an IT dept that takes care of computer problems.

Anyhow, I have a beater laptop for home use, that came with Win7 but I let it update to 10. It's been mostly ok but I wound up turning off updates as it would spend a few hours trying to do the last one, only to abort and spend the same amount of time undoing. Ugh. At some point I'll replace it, not sure with what. Seems like Windows pushes you into updating hardware every few years. No getting around that I guess.

What I don't get is why my Android phone, Amazon tablet, the wife's iPad and iPod, they all work, despite whatever updates that get pushed out. But I guess we only get 3-4 years out of those devices before we move on--for ones with more features, not because they quit working or got annoying.

Never had any desire to own an Apple product , since Apple II went by the way side . Even if I did , could not afford the high price .

You are correct , Windows is not trouble free . Many self inflicted problems . But , I have always lived through the issues . Very few PC hardware issues .

I expect Windows 10 to fail so I always have an alternative. I am finding Windows 10 getting stable enough to use it over Ubuntu most of the time.

I've never had any issues with Windows 10, and I've had it on my workstation as well as my wife's computer for well over 3 years now (may be closer to 4 years). I do a ton of business-all of my financial spreadsheets and documentation for the properties. I also have a few thousand photos, not only personal but for the properties as well.

Nary a problem.

not a fan as well as W10 opens stuff out of nowhere if i hover the cursor, not always but even once is too much!!

Originally Posted by Pelican
Originally Posted by alarmguy
CRAP!

Went to Apple iMac 2 or 3 years ago after the umpteenth W10 screw-up and never regretted it. Still run W10 on a laptop because of a program that doesn't work with Apple, but that's the only reason! Apple is more money, but they are better built and will outlast a PC 5 to 1 so in the end it may prove cheaper, plus the Apple support you get is umbelievable, not that I need it much
smile.gif

lol apple out last a PC

Reliability and apple are not on the same level... at lest not anymore

I learned a long time ago...not just with Win 10 but with all versions...to not use MS Office or any of the apps that come with the OS. I have third-party programs for every need that I have. I learn how to use them and I update them to new versions when I need to. Win 10 has been the best OS I've ever used and I've had none of the update problems that so many complain about.

I have a Mac Book Pro laptop that was about $1,200 about 3 years ago. I have it hooked up to a 40 inch 4k Sony TV and a full-size keyboard. It might as well be a desktop. I have auto-updates turned on, and have never had a problem in 3 years. I don't even run anti-virus. Couldn't imagine going back to Windows. I get an anxiety attack just thinking about it LOL.

Last edited:
I support an enterprise environment with windows 10 machines.

We had some users that could not open photos app, stickies, or calculator.

We disable updates and apply via a patch solution.

Turned out to be those users who could not open those apps, because MS was force trying to update it when the app would launch. It would fail and the app would not open.

I recommend updating the OS to 1903, and leaving updates on.

It is not an enterprise computer, patching it is logical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back