Has anyone had oil-related issues during the polar vortex?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oil filters on Mopars don't bark, chirp, or tweet, even with GM snowflakes melting all around them.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by ofelas
Coldest I saw this winter was -30c.

Couldn't make out the difference between my current 0w40 fill and the previous 5w30 HDD fill - I tend to check by how quickly the dash oil pressure gauge needle rises, as I'm too lazy to open the hood & watch the mechanical gauge while someone else cranks the truck.

Surprisingly, I've never had a noisy/sluggish winter steering issue, though I only use the obsolete MS-5931 PS fluid. Still have a few 12-pack cases of OEM fluid left.

You can't hear the difference between 5w30 and 0w40, , unless you are standing in front of the radiator when the engine is started by someone else.
You may even hear a barking oil filter then too.

No issues here. Subaru started right up during polar vortex. -24 overnight. Currently on Subaru 0w-20. New car.

I stuck a magnetic oil pan heater on the 2001 Toyota echo 3 hours prior to starting. After sitting for 3 days it turned over 3 times pretty slow then fired up. -25C at the time with 5w30 PP in the sump.

The city of Saskatoon, population: 246,000 is going to -40 tonight.

Come on everybody, let's sing the Rodeo Song:

" It's forty below, got a heater in the truck, and I don't give a f#$& and I'm off to the rodeo......."
lol.gif

-25 this morning, the fresh M1 AFE 0W-30 I put in last weekend (when it was still 45 degrees!) didn't even skip a beat! No hint of startup rattle at all I've experienced with many other oils. Be my third oil change with it, I'm pretty sold on this oil for year round use in Montana and the price is unbeatable. My pickup doesn't have a block heater and is parked outside year round too.

What I'm even more impressed with is the DieHard battery that's been in the truck since I bought it in November 2014 and was presumably used a bit prior to my ownership is still going strong!

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
The city of Saskatoon, population: 246,000 is going to -40 tonight.

Come on everybody, let's sing the Rodeo Song:

" It's forty below, got a heater in the truck, and I don't give a f#$& and I'm off to the rodeo......."
lol.gif

Ouch.

And the furnace in our new to us house couldn't keep up at -15*F or so. Thankfully we have the wood stove.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Mick Jagger once said " Regina rhymes with Fun! " Not this morning. -36 F
laugh.gif

Do you just stop caring at this point?

Once you can't feel it, it no longer matters right? Lol.

And we hit -40 the other night here, and that wasn't fun. It hasn't been above -20 C for days. My 5w-30 is serving me well. Granted, when it was -40, it wasn't outside for days at a time, but it is spending 8 or more hours outside in some pretty ugly conditions.

Originally Posted by Garak
And we hit -40 the other night here, and that wasn't fun. It hasn't been above -20 C for days. My 5w-30 is serving me well. Granted, when it was -40, it wasn't outside for days at a time, but it is spending 8 or more hours outside in some pretty ugly conditions.

Still in to the -30 range at night around here, but today hit -11 with not a cloud in the sky and no wind. Light shirt and no long johns, was just like summer lol

What's this -11 C of which you speak? It's -33 C right now, and -11 isn't even in our long term forecast. I guess this is why I use the same fill all year round without deviation. I still had a good, easy start tonight, despite many hours outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back