Harvest King still Citgo???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Needed to throw six ounces into the VWB in my Soul. Harvest King syn 5w30 (at Rural King). Did this once before and pretty sure it was Citgo but the bottle has changed and it has a Dexos number #D125AAAC334 that I can't find on the Dexos licensing page. Thought this stuff was Warren Oil pre Citgo. Any ideas what it is now?

Originally Posted by csandste
... Thought this stuff was Warren Oil pre Citgo. Any ideas what it is now?
Yes, it was Warren Oil pre-Citgo. There have been reports they switched back to Warren, but I'm not certain. No Rural King, here, but I bought the old Warren version once while visiting in Kentucky.

Needed to throw six ounces into the VWB in my Soul. Harvest King syn 5w30 (at Rural King). Did this once before and pretty sure it was Citgo but the bottle has changed and it has a Dexos number #D125AAAC334 that I can't find on the Dexos licensing page. Thought this stuff was Warren Oil pre Citgo. Any ideas what it is now?

May be Warren Oil from Dunn NC. Maybe call Rural King and ask.

Rural King was Citgo as far back as I can remember, around 2008-ish. You can usually identify Warren oils by the WPP / WNE logo on the bottom of the bottle. Citgo oils the best I can remember had a pink date code on the back of the bottle (which looks grey with a little fluorescence on a black bottle).

Well, this is 5w20 HK high mileage blend

No logo on bottom of bottle and hard to determine date code
wink.gif

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by 92saturnsl2
... You can usually identify Warren oils by the WPP / WNE logo on the bottom of the bottle. ...
No, that's the wrong Warren, NOT Warren Oil of Dunn, which made RK oil in the not-too-distant past.

Was able to get a look at various Warren Oil/Coastal quart bottles. Most of the later ones have an embossed "pouring quart" logo near the neck. This one does too. The bottom of the bottle has a "flying w and a u or a j" embossed. Not like Warren Distribution's WPP. WO2C is also embossed on the bottle. Most Warren/Coastal bottles are black. These are silver.

If I was a betting man, I'd lay my money on Mid-States Distribution pulling the plug on Citgo (some old stock was still in the store) and going with Warren Oil/Unilube/Coastal. Googling is kind of a mess on this, because it brings up all sorts of Warren out of Council Bluffs/Omaha hits.

Here's an Amazon link that, more or less shows the embossed "oil bottle" near the neck. Mine's the same only silver.

https://www.amazon.com/Warren-Unilube-10701-Coastal-Premium/dp/B0041GVISC

Both this and the earlier Citgo stuff look similar, much darker than VWB which is very light and clear.

Last edited:
Was able to get a look at various Warren Oil/Coastal quart bottles. Most of the later ones have an embossed "pouring quart" logo near the neck. This one does too. The bottom of the bottle has a "flying w and a u or a j" embossed. Not like Warren Distribution's WPP. WO2C is also embossed on the bottle. Most Warren/Coastal bottles are black. These are silver.
That description perfectly fits the bottles of RK oil I bought in Kentucky in 2015, except that mine show the code W15B where you have WO2C. The labels on these specifically state "Packaged by Warren Oil Company, Inc.; Dunn, NC ... "

Not much of a mystery, really.

Last edited:
So to sum up:

1. Rural King made by Warren Oil
2. Sometime 2015 or later-- Mid States Distribution rebrands to Harvest King (so they can sell wider than Rural King stores?) and moves production to Citgo
3. 2018 or later-- Mid States Distribution moves production back to Warren Oil-- branded Harvest King rather than the previously used Rural King.

Last edited:
^ Mostly correct summary. Some posters have reported Rural King oil was made by Citgo in an earlier period. I don't know specific dates.

The oil I bought in 2015 is branded "RK," not the spelled-out name "Rural King." The bottle also says it was "Distributed by RK." In fact, their original name Rural King does not appear anywhere on the bottle. I think they also changed the sign on the front of the store to "RK" about that time.

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
If you email Warren Distribution you will quickly get a response as to if they make Harvest King oil.

It's not Warren Distribution, it's Warren Oil.

If you email Warren Distribution you will quickly get a response as to if they make Harvest King oil.

Thank You csandste
smile.gif

Good work man ^^^^^^

In my area AAP you can find Warren Oil made Carquest oil that is conventional oil... Their 5 qt containers have a very distinctive look... Which is no doubt a Warren Oil container.

The synthetic Carquest is obviously Amalie due to the stamping on the bottom of it with AOC...

Originally Posted by bbhero
[Linked Image]

Unless you get one of these.... Then it's easy to know
lol.gif

My eyes are not that good. Does that say distribution under the Warren name or is that decorative filigree? It almost looks like Chinese characters.

It says World Class Lubricants...under Warren.

Yeah... I had to shine it under a light to really get a better look at it...

This container however is really quite unique... And totally different than anything else out there... It does stand out if nothing else
smile.gif

At a local Sunoco gas station they actually sell a fair amount of this oil in there.... Which is surprising given gas station prices... This is $6.09 a quart there.

When that station first got it in it was $5.49 a quart. Then when to $5.89 a qt... Then jumped all the way to $6.99 a qt.... And I think them morons jumped it to $7.99 a qt... Then of course it totally did not sell... I stopped paying attention to it after that for awhile. Because it was ridiculous what they did.. I guess they got a bit smarter and started dropping the price realizing it was no longer moving. I'm not against places making money... That is certainly ok and a part of business. But ripping off prices is not a smart thing to do. Even at $5.49 a qt that place was making a good margin on each quart sold...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back