Harvest King Full Synthetic 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by csandste
the bottle appears identical to Coastal but silver instead of black. I may try to contact Warren Oil to see if I can track down that strange Dexos number. The only oils with numbers with the same first digits are Shell, but I'm sure it's not that.

I am thinking it is made by Warren Oil as well... I am going to check right now the Dexos approved numbers...

Well... If what I just looked up is right... The 5w30 oil matched Dexos numbers with Citgo...

Warren Oils Dexos approved numbers correlate with Carquest full synthetic... ending with HF028 which is the same number has Lubrigold made by Warren Oil. Where the numbers for Harvest King Dexos oil matched Citgo ending with 121....

******The numbers and letters matched every number and letter before those ending numbers by the way.

Last edited:
Good investigative work BB. Citgo's used in many lube shops around here. Nearest Rural King store about 50 miles away. Daughter uses Napa currently.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bbhero
Originally Posted by csandste
the bottle appears identical to Coastal but silver instead of black. I may try to contact Warren Oil to see if I can track down that strange Dexos number. The only oils with numbers with the same first digits are Shell, but I'm sure it's not that.

I am thinking it is made by Warren Oil as well... I am going to check right now the Dexos approved numbers...

Well... If what I just looked up is right... The 5w30 oil matched Dexos numbers with Citgo...

Warren Oils Dexos approved numbers correlate with Carquest full synthetic... ending with HF028 which is the same number has Lubrigold made by Warren Oil. Where the numbers for Harvest King Dexos oil matched Citgo ending with 121....

******The numbers and letters matched every number and letter before those ending numbers by the way.

This is the silver bottle that looks like a Warren Oil bottle, not the other (being replaced) Citgo type bottle?

Obviously a newer number....

What I saw must be a old list I guess. . Because the numbers on the list I looked at clearly were both Citgo numbers. And exactly the same for both.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Great! I'll save the thought of visiting Rural King 50 miles away, for another month or year. I'll just await the next NAPA syn website sale.

Good luck

Not to hijack this thread but would this Harvest King synthetic 5w30 be a good oil up to 7500 mile OCI for a non DI non turbo regular 4 cylinder grocery getter?

Originally Posted by 1978elcamino
Not to hijack this thread but would this Harvest King synthetic 5w30 be a good oil up to 7500 mile OCI for a non DI non turbo regular 4 cylinder grocery getter?

If that's a normal mix of city and highway
Don't see why not

Originally Posted by 1978elcamino
my reasoning is that it ought to be good for the vehicle manufacturers suggested mileage or time.
It's dexos 2 and sn+ so I think it has to be made to reach a minimum Barr or better

Originally Posted by Mightymouse

It's dexos 2 and sn+ so I think it has to be made to reach a minimum Barr or better

It's not Dexos 2, that is for diesels. This oil is Dexos 1 Generation 2. Common error though.

^Yes
Dexos 1 = Gasoline
Dexos 1 Gen 2 = Gasoline
VS
Dexos 2 = Diesel

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Originally Posted by Mightymouse

It's not Dexos 2, that is for diesels. This oil is Dexos 1 Generation 2. Common error though.

Vettes have a diesel ?

Nope.

"The majority of GM/Opel/Vauxhall/Chevrolet Diesel and Gasoline vehicles can use dexos2â„¢ lubricants. "

Yes, 4WD, you're partially correct as well for pointing that out. Dexos 2 was originally intended for diesels, and only in very recent history, has GM begun installing it (dexos 2) in Vettes and a couple other vehicles. But if OP is asking about HK 5W30, there are plenty of non-dexos2 oil choices that likely better fit his engine and the expected price point of HK 5W30 d1G2.

Leave it to GM to come up with a great plan to easily separate gas and diesel oils to prevent confusion, and then blow it to pieces. Must be that infusion of "free" cash about a decade ago...

well … if you even look at what Mobil says it's ESP for diesel and high performance gassers.

It's vette, Cam's, and Cads

As the million mile GM driver said … read these:

BD455EFD-15B0-4043-80DE-BF75C919A2FB.png

Last edited:
Again... OP shopping a ~$13.99/5qt oil, probably not looking for a $35/5qt oil.

And I've already acknowledged my mistake other than just correcting that d1G2 is NOT d2... so what are you arguing again? Did OP say he was shopping for a Vette or Caddy or high performance gasoline engine? Nope.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Again... OP shopping a $13.99/5qt oil, probably not looking for a $35/5qt oil.

Again, you posted it's diesel only and folks started to endorse that info
I'm done here

OP, just so people don't get offended, and since those that take offense won't explain why my initial post wasn't entirely correct: dexos2 was originally intended for diesels, and dexos1 was originally intended for gasoline engines (as stated). Everyone was happy. Then, as some have shared, because GM's oil requirements for their newest high performance gasoline engines started to need a more robust oil, dexos1 did not meet everything the engines needed, mainly on HTHS. dexos2 already had higher HTHS requirements, and has been revised to meet the other needs of their high performance gasoline engines. So, now, instead of just being able to go "I drive a GM gasser, I need dexos1 (insert latest Gen here)", or "I drive a GM diesel, I need dexos2" you now have additional checks to make (but unfortunately only a dexos2-requiring OM was included in this thread). If this isn't a good enough explanation, you'll have to search your OM, or ask the other guy. Peace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back