H&K Loses German Army Contract

After almost 6 decades of supplying the German Army with assault rifles, H&K lost the contract to C.G. Haenel GmbH.

So hopefully their offerings will decrease in price since they're not devoting such a big portion of their production to government contracts. And, who in the Haenel makes a better weapon than HK??

Hopefully, we’ll see a decrease in price for civilians. Their guns are great, but management got loss in time with the exorbitant prices. And honestly - this from a non-pro HK fanboy - they’re not measurably better than other modern platforms.

Don't count on it boys! H&K makes great weapons but they are sooo far behind in everything! Amazing how a company so adept at engineering can be run as horribly as it was/is.

Don't count on it boys! H&K makes great weapons but they are sooo far behind in everything! Amazing how a company so adept at engineering can be run as horribly as it was/is.
Nothing amazing about it. All it takes is a black sheep - or two - at the top spot and everything else drops to the bottom. So many examples of it...Microsoft under Ballmer, Apple under [the first stint] of Jobs, etc.

This looks like a step backwards over the G36, even if it is piston-driven and not DI...
"That's hilarious. The inventors of the assault rifle win a contract with the German army... for a 90% American design."
How true is this? Someone made this reply in the comments section.

Hopefully, we’ll see a decrease in price for civilians. Their guns are great, but management got loss in time with the exorbitant prices. And honestly - this from a non-pro HK fanboy - they’re not measurably better than other modern platforms.

I don't mean to presume but it sounds like you may not have much experience with the MIL/LE side of HK weapons. "Measurably better" is subjective yes, but their platforms have been very solid performers year after year. Old school G3, HK416, and the MP5 was in EVERY LE SWAT operators hands as well as a staple in many many military organizations throughout the world.

I'm an armorer for Glock, S&W, Sig, and H&K. I have a few UPS's and while I do not often work on em they are truly solidly built. And also the more complicated of anything I've ever worked on.

I don't mean to presume but it sounds like you may not have much experience with the MIL/LE side of HK weapons. "Measurably better" is subjective yes, but their platforms have been very solid performers year after year. Old school G3, HK416, and the MP5 was in EVERY LE SWAT operators hands as well as a staple in many many military organizations throughout the world.

I'm an armorer for Glock, S&W, Sig, and H&K. I have a few UPS's and while I do not often work on em they are truly solidly built. And also the more complicated of anything I've ever worked on.
I don’t have much experience with that, hence my subjective assessment.
Thanks

Hate it for them, guess I wont be getting another contract with them for a while.

I will say I loved my MP5-SD4 when it was my weapon back in the day.

Hope I didn't come across rude. Not a lot have gotten to play with some of the H&K classic arms. Really well built and engineered. My last H&K purchase was a while ago when I picked up a MK23. Not a fan of the newer offering in pistols or rifles to the civilian market. Add to that the big hit they got from their own courts when they were busted violating German law by selling to Mexico.

Big issues at H&K. None of em good.

Hate it for them, guess I wont be getting another contract with them for a while.

I will say I loved my MP5-SD4 when it was my weapon back in the day.

I will never understand how corporate let the MP5 platform just fade away. They had ZERO competition and LE agencies begging in writing to both produce new and continue to support the platform with OE parts. Friend of mine in a NE SP agency bought an extra 48 of these in 2 years in 40 cal to keep for their tactical units. That's how good the MP's were. They were accurate, easy to shoot, and really just never failed.

I will never understand how corporate let the MP5 platform just fade away. They had ZERO competition and LE agencies begging in writing to both produce new and continue to support the platform with OE parts. Friend of mine in a NE SP agency bought an extra 48 of these in 2 years in 40 cal to keep for their tactical units. That's how good the MP's were. They were accurate, easy to shoot, and really just never failed.

I have wondered about that with several companies and their signature products. I fully agree with your assessment.

Back