Growing Blackberries and Mulberries

My farm used to have lots of blackberries when i was young, and a neighbor had quarter sized blackberries. I have walked my property and now all i have is wild raspberries. Not sure if a blight or the deer got all the blackberries.

So i am starting to grow Triple Crown and PrimeArk Freedom blackberries (both thornless) now.

I also found two varieties at Lowes. Chester and Sweetie Pie (both thornless).

I have also started propagating several varieties of wild blackberries and black raspberries that i have found beside the road and plan on introducing them to my farm.

My mom has a huge Mulberry tree and i have started propagating it as well. I guess Mulberries are a big thing... lots of varieties and people seem to be into them.
I will order a couple of varieties and introduce them as well. Currently looking at Shangri-La and Black Persian.

I plan on making some Jams and also let the birds enjoy as well.

It looks like the berry canes are good for pollinators and berry eaters alike.

- I plan on growing my personal stash in self wicking tubs. (lots of youtube videos). Tubs are currently $6 at Lowes.

Do you grow any? What varieties?

My dads farm has wild blackberries all over the place. He has two maintained black mulberry trees also.

Last edited:
Blackberry heaven under the power line cuts. Tons of bushes grow along the edge of cut grass and woods around my property. But no fruit this year.
No rain in June and blistering heat so the amount of and size of the berries is pathetically small.
Maybe next year.

My blueberries are doing very well this year, larger and snap when you eat them. Although Ive only gotten 20 or so so far. I htought maybe the heat was helping them.

Ideally you want a rainy stretch to grow the fruit, and a dry, sunny spell to set the fruit when it ripens before harvest.

Back