Green coolant, future availability ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am concerned about the future availability of green coolant. I have a 2000 Kohler 5e marine generator , powered by a liquid cooled Kawasaki FD501D twin cylinder OHV engine, 16 hp of 437 cc displacement. I have always used green coolant, and it is the only machine I own still using green. Marine generators are expensive, and I do not want to do anything that may damage the engine. Should I worry about the future availability of green coolant and consider switching to something else ? Or is there a newer coolant that is completely compatible with the green stuff ?

I don't see why it wouldn't be available indefinitely. I'd be more concerned about the proprietary coolant of an obscure manufacturer no longer being made, and having to find an alternative. Although with a complete and proper flush before substitution, most coolants will do the job just fine in any application.

So don't worry... You'll probably have a more difficult time finding petrol dispensed into a jerry can as it could possibly be used as part of a terrorist weapon, than finding a suitable ethylene glycol based coolant for your generator.

This. Prestone with Cor Guard. I've been using it and it's predecessor for 15 years in a Ford green coolant situation. Still the original radiator and water pump. There is still green coolant around but I don't bother looking for it. I poured some into a jar (50% coolant and 50 % water). In fact it has a green tinge to it.
smile.gif

3C3B9D64-6D53-443D-AA9A-09C9067E746E.jpeg

2DC3AF97-B491-4EB2-BD05-B6DBB8130CBF.jpeg

Last edited:
I understand the worries RE: old school silicate antifreeze. Fact is, I've moved on now RE: automotive or small application coolant, either go with factory antifreeze or for Japanese automobiles: I have opted for complete flush + HOAT varieties (i.e. Toyota LL pink).

Never look back.

Q.

Dont know it's future availabilty but you can get at almost every place that sells AF. And it lasts longer than the old green stuff

Originally Posted by Warstud
Dont know it's future availabilty but you can get at almost every place that sells AF. And it lasts longer than the old green stuff

I am not sure what product you are referencing (Prestone Corguard ?) - but this is one of the reasons I am asking. Two recent visits to two different Autozone's showed that they were out of classic IAT / green coolant. They only stocked 2 variants, 1 of which was 50/50 mix. I was buying Dexcool-type products but happened to note that they were out of IAT / green.

Originally Posted by rubberchicken
Originally Posted by Warstud

I am not sure what product you are referencing (Prestone Corguard ?) - but this is one of the reasons I am asking. Two recent visits to two different Autozone's showed that they were out of classic IAT / green coolant. They only stocked 2 variants, 1 of which was 50/50 mix. I was buying Dexcool-type products but happened to note that they were out of IAT / green.

I'll bet green coolant will still be here when AZ is gone.

Actually it is a race between AZ, Pep Boys, and O'Reilly's to see which is gone first.

Last edited:
All the automotive stores around here still stock original green. I get mine at Rural King because it's cheaper, and it's made by Peak.

Right now a jug of full strength at Rural King is $8.99 plus a $3 rebate, and the rebate is paid by Peak. A gallon of 50/50 is $6.49.

One thing is for sure though. I have not seen the original green in a Walmart store in 10 years or more. From all the research I have done, G-05 is what I would use as others have recommended. NAPA has some very good sales periodically on G-05.

I use the Mopar 3yr IAT green concentrate for $9 per gallon jug.

Mopar 5yr HOAT looks too similar to my windshield washer fluid.

[Linked Image]

There is not such thing as "original green" it was modified in '14 they added a bunch of crap to the mix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back