Got A New Flashlight...

I collect flashlights... so I'm a little geeked at the moment.
I bought it because you can clip it on to your shirt and work hands free. Plus the end is magnetic so it will hang horizontely and project the light down. Seems pretty bright but will test it out when it gets dark. Got it at Sears for FREE with my SYW points. Lists for $5.99

http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys/Gri...18/product.html

Last edited:
I understand. I'm a bit of a flashlightaholic myself. I went crazy when LED models started hitting the market. I end up giving them away as family and friends need them so I am down to "only" about ten at the moment. I have certain favorites, like my Maglite Solitaire with aftermarket LED conversion (don't think Mag ever offered one). It was a useless freebie before the conversion, but is now downright usable.

Yes... a few dozen LEDs, few chargers and loads of batteries = addicting alright. My last one has reversible clip so I can clip it to the bill of hat and a magnetic base - handy.
LEDs have come a long way, so that's all I have now.
Candlepower has some good reviews.

I haven't looked up anything on these flashlights but I have several in both neon yellow and black. they are bayco nightsticks with dual lights led take three batteries. anyone know anything about them they seem to put out quite a bit of light for their size

I have never counted total but I suspect they have already crossed the half century mark. Few of them are my favorite depending upon their price and functionality. If they are too expensive, I use them very little but if they are cheap and good, I (ab)use them quite a lot. I have also discovered that good headlamp without hotspot makes great working light for doing almost any type of work in the garage or even inside.

I bought 4-5 cheap flashlights(the most expensive one was $9 and cheapest one was $3.50) the last 3-4 months and my wife complaint about "too many flashlights". Your other didn't raise her voice for over "half century" flashlights ?

Costco has a two pack of LED flashlights that put out a reported 500 lumens. $25 Aluminum construction, 6 "C" duracell batteries included. I have about 6 of these and they are the brightest flashlights I have and the batteries seem to last forever.

I don't smoke and only drinks I have is occasional beer or wine when we visit friends over the weekend. So I don't have too many avenues to waste money. The boss lets me indulge in small off the book expenses on flashlights and "car stuff"; I am lucky in that sense.

This week alone I ordered three the different colored SK68 (I always liked the black and the silver ones) and bought an EagleEye X2 warm white.

You should try a decent 18650 based light, I think you will get hooked on it. Tell me your budget, I will suggest something which will delight you.

513bfOOxvXL.jpg

1604003-6-thumb.jpg

Hello, I love this thread.
Years ago I had a Ray-O-Vac Workhorse flashlight-2 D cell- Krypton bulb.
It was by far the best light on the camping trip. Everyone kept asking to borrow it. Kira

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I have 2 of these mini Ultrafires that use 1 AA battery or 14500, one with zoom and one with 3 modes. I paid about $3.50 each shipped from China. They are very bright for a small flashlight.

Sorry, I know it's an old thread. I'm not a hardcore flashlight collector, but once in a while the urge comes on to buy one. A few months back I bought something similar to these mini Ultrafires, but Housbell branded. They have zoom and 3 light modes. They are 2 for $8 from Amazon, shipped from US, so you don't have to wait for them to arrive from China. Good little lights.

61EI7PMp5FL._SL1000_.jpg

I also just ordered this Anker LC90 one. It uses a Cree LED XM-L2 chip and comes with an 18650 battery and can be re-charged directly in the body, using the provided mini-USB cable. Although, if you're big into flashlights, you probably already own a standalone 18650 battery charger, so that may not be of much interest.

61pKvSWWSjL._SL1000_.jpg

This is the flashlight that I got few months ago. It is insanely bright and dirt cheap. It washes out a typical car headlight. I harvested few 18650 from old laptop batteries to play with it but later ordered good set of batteries for this light. So before ordering, make sure you have good (Sanyo/Panasonic/Samsung) 4x18650 *protected* batteries and multi-slot charger.
1450725606814-P-2427329.jpg

1423608491397-P-2427329.jpg

Unfortunately, it is no longer available from the place where I bought it from :-(

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Unfortunately, it is no longer available from the place where I bought it from :-(

How much was it? I see it on Amazon for $21, but it's now the 9x version, not the 7x.

Go for it! I paid $21 at Gearbest.

But be realistic of your expectation. Yes, it will be bright but will not be anywhere near the claimed lumens bright. Also don't expect great heat-sinking and being able to run this light for hours. This is a fun and brag light. If you want this type of output in a name brand light you will most like pay 20-40x the price of this one.

I am always amused when people buy $20 item and expect it to have the quality and durability of $800 item aka HF vs SnapOn. If you are not one of them, you will enjoy this light.

To many flashlights to go through, but main stays are various Olight, Nitecore, Jetbeam, Zebralight, Trunite, Klarus, and Fenix. Was on a kind of flashlight spree for a couple years.
Batteries I like best are 18650 Orbtronic 3400 mAh (basically a Panasonic protected)

I bought & gave away a few cheap $$ Soonfire NS17's which are very close like my Nitecore MH20's. They even came with a decent 18650 battery - everyone has said real good things about them. I'll probably gift some more for stockings next month.

One of the granddaughter's a few weeks back called and told me they had hiked in to some water fall. It got dark and they hiked over an hour back to the vehicle and she called to tell & thank me about how glad and how nice it was to have a couple flashlights I had given her.
Plus she likes her little Nitecore Tube T Series keychain light and little Olight I3E to/from vehicle at work at night. It was nice to hear she puts them to use.

gotta watch these srk clones.
some are quite nice and some are pure junk.
no thermal path to the body from the led mcpcb.
time to read up here
i also strip laptop packs for good 18650.
none of mine are protected.
it helps that i have access to lots of free laptop packs.
just one of the perks to owning a repair shop.
This is the flashlight that I got few months ago. It is insanely bright and dirt cheap. It washes out a typical car headlight. I harvested few 18650 from old laptop batteries to play with it but later ordered good set of batteries for this light. So before ordering, make sure you have good (Sanyo/Panasonic/Samsung) 4x18650 *protected* batteries and multi-slot charger.
1450725606814-P-2427329.jpg

1423608491397-P-2427329.jpg

Last edited:
I've been on a flashlight buying spree lately. Here are a few recent ones.

JetBeam JET-1 MK. Runs on either one AA or one 14500 Li-Ion battery. 480LM max on Li-Ion.
DSC_6425.jpg

Anker LC40. Runs on either 3xAAA or one 18650:
DSC_6469.jpg

Convoy S2+ with a metal clicky:
DSC_7008sm.jpg

Have you yet graduated to neutral or warm tint LEDs?

I bought the Convoy S2+ with a more neutral LED, 5000K instead of the standard 6500K. Does that count?
smile.gif

Back