Good all season tire with above avg snow traction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Without breaking the bank I'd like to look at some good all season tires with emphasis on better than average snow traction.

Call me crazy but I look through tirebuyer.com and tirerack.com and choose the tire size and choose all season and then I judge the tire by it's tread appearance. For instance right now I have my eyes set on Uniroyal Tiger Paw's simply because I like the way the treads look and they are rated well and they're cheap...

https://www.tirebuyer.com/tires/Tiger Paw GTZ A/S 2/p/TV130000552

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
A leading consumer magazine rated this tire just above Ironman, GT, and Sumitomo. As in... 4th from the bottom.

If you're looking for snow traction, it would be better to get out of the "Ultra High Performance" category of tires, if your sizing and speed ratings allow.

I look at TireRack reviews, too (not familiar with tirebuyer), but we also get Consumer Reports and I look closely at their tire reviews.
CR evaluates winter performance for all season tires and they led me to the General Altimax RT43 (T rated), which proved to be a good choice for New England winters on my wife's Avalon and my daughter's Impreza.
I had to swap cars with my daughter for a few days to get some maintenance done and a nasty snow squall blew up right when I drove down to her school...I was really impressed with how that little car behaved in some bad conditions, even some SUVs that I assumed to be AWD were stuck on hills in her college town and I walked right by them. Yes, maybe I should have stopped to help, but I had a 1.5 hour drive to get back home...sorry.

There are several sub-brands of "tiger paw". Those, as stated, are summer UHP.

You want squiggly sipes for winter traction. I bet if you touched that tire in person the rubber would be harder to deflect as well.

Keep looking.

Originally Posted by eljefino
There are several sub-brands of "tiger paw". Those, as stated, are summer UHP.

You want squiggly sipes for winter traction. I bet if you touched that tire in person the rubber would be harder to deflect as well.

Keep looking.

Those are pretty deep/wide channels for a "summer" tire. Just because it's W rated doesn't mean it can't do alright in the snow correct?

You're gonna have to spend a little more to get everything you want.

I ran the old Continental DWS on my 06 Civic Si back in the day. Loved them and ran them year round in MN. Believe the are now DWS06

You want squiggly sipes for winter traction.

Like on the garbage Michelin LTX tires that I had, which had very little wet, snow, or ice traction?

Sorry... sometimes the squiggly sipes don't matter at all.

I'd suggest to go to a local reputable tire dealer. Ask them what they suggest. A dealer wants repeat business. They want you to be satisfied.

Reviews are always a little suspect regardless of whether they are super high or super low. I quit trusting reviews after I learned of "Fakespot.com"

Originally Posted by mrsilv04
You want squiggly sipes for winter traction.

Like on the garbage Michelin LTX tires that I had, which had very little wet, snow, or ice traction?

Sorry... sometimes the squiggly sipes don't matter at all.

Just as note: any all season tire, particularly PASSENGER CAR tires with limited tread depth are going to struggle in snowy conditions - it's why "chains required" is a thing. Sipes help, but they aren't going to solve your "all season tire in the super nasty slick frozen road ice mess" problems. If sipes didn't work then snow tires would look a LOT different - ever look at a Nokian Hakkapeliitta? Sipes up the wazoo.

Even AT truck tires with lots of useless decorative sidewall rubber and deep treads will struggle in slick snow and ice, and let's not even start on "rain" performance.

Everything is a compromise. Conditions vary and where one person sees success another sees failure.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Jackson_Slugger
I've always have read that Pirelli P4 FourSeasons Plus have good tread for winter as well as summer....

Those have been great on my Elantra. I will buy them again.

Originally Posted by Audios
Find a Vredstein or Nokian. They have all seasons favoring snow and wet weather.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Get a 3-peak all-season tire "all weather" tire
smile.gif

Nokian WRG4
Vredestein Quatrac 5
Toyo Celsius
Goodyear Weatherready
Kumho Solus HA31

I've been eyeballing the Quatrac 5 for my Taurus as soon as I can afford to get rid of the crap GT Radial touring tires I have. The Quatrac is supposed to be an all season with emphasis on winter traction with the 3 peak snow rating

Originally Posted by Aero540T

I've been eyeballing the Quatrac 5 for my Taurus as soon as I can afford to get rid of the crap GT Radial touring tires I have. The Quatrac is supposed to be an all season with emphasis on winter traction with the 3 peak snow rating

I went with the Quatrac 5 on my Clubman. It's a great tire.

Originally Posted by Jackson_Slugger
I've always have read that Pirelli P4 FourSeasons Plus have good tread for winter as well as summer....

Those are surprisingly affordable but looking at the tread, they don't appear like they'd be anything special in the snow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back