Good all season tire with above avg snow traction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by ZebRuaj
You're gonna have to spend a little more to get everything you want.

I ran the old Continental DWS on my 06 Civic Si back in the day. Loved them and ran them year round in MN. Believe the are now DWS06

Another vote for Continental DWS, had them on my A6 and went through a foot of virgin snow on the backroads of Maine with no issues at all

Originally Posted by jayjr1105
Originally Posted by Jackson_Slugger
I've always have read that Pirelli P4 FourSeasons Plus have good tread for winter as well as summer....

Those are surprisingly affordable but looking at the tread, they don't appear like they'd be anything special in the snow.

You seem to be hung up on how the tread pattern LOOKS ... here is some advice. Don't be. The rubber compound is the important part, and you can't SEE if it is gonna work ok in winter or not.

I once purchased an all season tire that LOOKED like it would be very good in the winter, lots of sipes, a chunkier tread pattern etc. It was the absolute WORST tire I have ever used in the winter, and was THE reason I moved on to dedicated winter tires. The tread pattern is only one piece of the puzzle as far as winter performance goes.

What you want in tire is tough to find. No all season tire is really very good in snow. Some are ok, most are very mediocre, and others downright poor.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Get a 3-peak all-season tire "all weather" tire
smile.gif

Correct the 3 mountain peaks symbol gets you by the first layer of chain control.

Or a Tire rated M&S for mud and snow - same effect- bypass first layer of chain control.

Otherwise even though it may be designated all season - you'll get turned around without chains even in an AWD/4WD vehicle in the mountains during any kind of heavy snow.

UD

I put a set of Vogue Signature V on my TSX a few weeks ago. I bought them from DTD with their black Friday deal. They were priced right and have good reviews. I found a couple videos on YouTube by folks saying they were good in the snow. We get just enough snow here in Virginia to be a nuisance, but not enough to justify going all out on a winter tire/wheel setup.

No snow yet, so I can't speak to their ability in the white stuff, but they've handled wet and dry very well so far.

Originally Posted by Jackson_Slugger
I've always have read that Pirelli P4 FourSeasons Plus have good tread for winter as well as summer....

Those are surprisingly affordable but looking at the tread, they don't appear like they'd be anything special in the snow.

I have a set of these on the '12 Accord and I can verify that they are really good in winter conditions as A/S tires go.
As good as any Michelin A/S I've run, so pretty good.
They're also wearing very well at around 53K now.
Only problem I can see is that I believe this tire has been discontinued for some time so those that you'll find will have been in inventory for a while.

General Altimax rt43 tires are good all season / winter tires. I have them on one of my cars and they do well in dry, rainy or snow road conditions.

I bought the Quatrac's and the only time I used them in a 2" plus snow they were champs. They were kind of newish at the time, so I took that for what it was. When we get the next storm I'll be able to judge. They have almost 20k on them now.

I have Michelin CrossClimate+ in 205/55/16 on my Jetta and they are fantastic in the nasty wintry conditions we've had in CO so far this season. So far, I have zero complaints about their capability in the 7k miles that I have driven on them. Not cheap, but very, very good and 3-peak mtn rated.

Originally Posted by milehigh
I have Michelin CrossClimate+ in 205/55/16 on my Jetta and they are fantastic in the nasty wintry conditions we've had in CO so far this season. So far, I have zero complaints about their capability in the 7k miles that I have driven on them. Not cheap, but very, very good and 3-peak mtn rated.

Based on reviews (including here), that would be my choice for my 2003 Subaru when the Pirelli P4 FourSeasons that came with the car need to be replaced. Same size as your car too. I have had a decent experience with the P4s on snow/ice, like some others have said in this thread. But they are 6-7 years old, and show cracks in the rubber (assume the belts are fine...), though still have 7-8/32" tread. I heard that the CrossClimate+s can be had for a good price on sale at Costco, so I'll try to go that route and get a membership just for the tires if I catch a sale.

My older Subaru wears winter tires year round because I drive it less than 2000 miles per year - the tires still are about full depth and look like new after 5 years.

Last edited:
I'm a costco member and forgot to check there... How are these all seasons? Comes out to $75 a tire before installation

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Last night I drove through KS on my way to CO from DC through some serious weather. Had brand new Bridgestone Driveguard's that BMW dealership put on the car. Got quick reminder why all seasons are absolute POS in any snow that is deeper than 0.000001 inch.

Originally Posted by ZebRuaj
You're gonna have to spend a little more to get everything you want.

I ran the old Continental DWS on my 06 Civic Si back in the day. Loved them and ran them year round in MN. Believe the are now DWS06

Agree on the DWS06. I have them on my Mustang and GTI (GTI actually swaps to dedicated winter tires, but still). I've driven the Mustang in fresh snow with the DWS06 and they actually work surprisingly well taking it easy. And last year was caught in a pretty bad snow storm leaving work in the GTI with them on and they handled very well.

I recomend them to almost everyone, in an area that gets all season whether. I know most people won't have dedicated snow tires so its kind of the next best thing. The only negative I would have for them is they have a bit of squishy feeling to them at higher speeds... but I'm talking about speeds most people don't see and even then they are still capable and rated for it. But dry, cold, rain, light snow, no problem.

But, as ZebRuaj mentions you'll pay for more for them.

Originally Posted by mrsilv04
Originally Posted by eljefino
You want squiggly sipes for winter traction.

Like on the garbage Michelin LTX tires that I had, which had very little wet, snow, or ice traction?

Sorry... sometimes the squiggly sipes don't matter at all.

Did you have the Michelin Defenders LTX M&S? I just got those from Discount Tires and trying to exchange them.

I'm a costco member and forgot to check there... How are these all seasons? Comes out to $75 a tire before installation

[Linked Image]

I have had those on our 15' Jeep Cherokee for almost 9 months now; probably have about 5000 miles on them I'd say. They have done well on dry and wet pavement. The first experience in snow was a few weeks ago in about 4 inches and they performed well enough. Again, as many have stated here, there is no free lunch and every all season is a jack of all trades and a master of none. I'd say it is a decent all season and I have not complaints in that realm of performance. They are reasonably quiet so far; that will change as the tread wears more than likely. No adverse affect on mileage. Wearing evenly so far. I like them better than the General Altimax RT43's that they replaced. Overall I'd give them a 8 out of 10, but there are a lot of miles to go that could change that.

If they come in your tire size, I would suggest looking at the Kuhmo Crugen HT51 tire. They don't look like much, but I had some on my pick up and their performance really blew me away. They were hands down the best all season tire I have owned. Good in wet and dry conditions, but I was extremely impressed with them in snow. I drove them in deep snow conditions in MN last winter and they were great. They also seemed to have low rolling resistance and were fairly quiet. They are a 3 peak rated tire. Just make sure they double check them for roundness. I had two that were out of round, but they replaced them immediately and was good to go.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ejes

If they come in your tire size, I would suggest looking at the Kuhmo Crugen HT51 tire. They don't look like much, but I had some on my pick up and their performance really blew me away. They were hands down the best all season tire I have owned. Good in wet and dry conditions, but I was extremely impressed with them in snow. I drove them in deep snow conditions in MN last winter and they were great. They also seemed to have low rolling resistance and were fairly quiet. They are a 3 peak rated tire. Just make sure they double check them for roundness. I had two that were out of round, but they replaced them immediately and was good to go.

I just had a set of these installed on my truck. With rebate they were right around $100 per tire. I replaced Michelins so that is my most recent comparison. Very impressed so far, though I haven't been in snow yet. I had the red dots aligned to the valve stems and they took less weight than some tires to balance- so maybe there was a quality issue at some point but mine balanced nicely. Oh, and they are 70k mile tires too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back