Gonna need more oil!

Status
Not open for further replies.
44-foot tall, 90-foot long diesel engine of the Emma Maersk... the world's largest shipping vessel, capable of holding over 11k containers.

[Linked Image]

I'd go nuclear with a ship that size. Yeah you'd need a nuclear engineer but 20 years between fill ups beats nasty bunker fuel and hours to take on fuel.

Originally Posted by spasm3
0w-16?

No 0W8, there'll be less parasitic loss, the engine will run cooler, and get better MPG. It will start easier in cold weather too.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by fozzdesy2001
Lifetime fill?

I wonder. Dry sump with centrifuge filtration and super low speed and probably hundreds of gallons of lube oil. Be interesting if they actually change it or somehow inject additives as needed

Lifetime fill?

Not oil for the batteries someday. But I would say never anything oil-lubricating lifetime for gas-only vehicles, which will be basically gone from new dealer lots in another 15-20 years. Alternative energy, electric, solar.....who knows what else..... is coming rapidly, due to significant climate change that's threatening the skies, water and land, quicker than expected.

Consumers will be squeezed to buy these alternatives too. We are going to see the gas prices double in coming years. That's the only way to get consumers to buy these new alternative vehicles coming out next decade.

I was under the impression that modern ships were going to a hybrid type propulsion system with small engines running generators that in turn were connected to electric Azipods?

Some of these newer propulsion systems are very interesting.

Originally Posted by ctechbob
Lifetime fill?

I wonder. Dry sump with centrifuge filtration and super low speed and probably hundreds of gallons of lube oil. Be interesting if they actually change it or somehow inject additives as needed

They have different sumpt for the crankshaft lubes (SAE30) and the piston lube, which is some ridiculouslyhigh TBN thing...with realtime UOA.

Asto the idea that theseships could run on batteries...LOL...they have to carry cargo...

Originally Posted by Shannow

They have different sumpt for the crankshaft lubes (SAE30) and the piston lube, which is some ridiculouslyhigh TBN thing...with realtime UOA.

I was wondering if it used something like a monograde.. yeah, the TBN on some of the lubes are in the triple digits!!

Originally Posted by 97prizm
I'd go nuclear with a ship that size. Yeah you'd need a nuclear engineer but 20 years between fill ups beats nasty bunker fuel and hours to take on fuel.

Maybe the diesel design delivers better torque? Plus there are regulatory issues pulling into port with nuclear. Some countries prohibit it. Being a very expensive shipping vessel, I would think that you wouldn't want to limit what ports you can visit??

Originally Posted by GMguy84
I'm sure a Fram XG can handle that thing

...‚...‚...‚..my guess is that the filter's the size of a Mini!

If the world was rational...these ships would be nuke...but if it was rational....we wouldn't need the ships delivering trinkets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back