GMT900 pattern failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seeing more & more of this as the platform ages, Applies to 2007-2013 GM fullsize trucks & SUV's. This is a 2011 Silverado 1500 4.8L with 273,xxx miles.

DTC B0085-00 set in the Airbag module, Open or Short to voltage in the Left Front Impact Sensor. The sensor is located in the left front door.

I don't even bother diagnosing this code anymore, Go straight to the wires that pass through the door jamb bellows! You will find the Purple/White or the White wire.....Or both broken. The Impact Sensor circuits are actually a auxiliary jumper harness that is normally pulled a little tighter than the main door harness. This of course puts more strain on those 2 circuits.
Trucks with crank windows may not be affected by this as there isn't a separate harness to pull & work the impact sensor jumper harness.

I like to add a section of wires to make the harness a little longer.....Spiral the wires around the main door harness to relieve it. If you try to simply splice the circuits back together, Especially if you solder the connections....It will break again in short order!

The harnesses must be pulled through the body side, Requires removing the Dash end cap trim, Door sill trim, And Footwell trim to release the Bellows locks & feed the harness through the opening in the cab/body.
Remove the Door Panel & release the Bellows locks.
Slide the Bellow down the harness (Away from the door) & carefully cut the 2 rubber "wings" that hold the Bellows to the harness.....I do not reattach the harness back to the Bellows.....Further relieving the harness. To disassemble it without cutting the "wings", You must disconnect all the door components & pull the harness out of the door enough to untape the harness from the "wings" by sliding the bellows toward the door.

You want the solder joints as small as possible, Don't let the solder wick down the wires! The longer the rigid spot in the wire is.....The more apt the copper strands are to break on either side of the solder joint!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited:
These types of repeat failures crack me up. How much more would it have cost to add 5-10mm worth of extra wire in the harness. Fractions of a cent?

No airbag issues on my 07 Burban ?? But it is on a recall since its on the takata bags

Although the 4L60E did finally give out with 3/4 gears So there's $1200 POOF !! from my bank account
smirk2.gif

Dave

Have you fixed many this way? I have always soldered in new wire for the entire length of the bend. By making the repair in the bend it is more likely to break again. Likely to the side of your solder joint.

If you have done many this way maybe there's not much pressure on the wiring anymore due to you disconnecting it from the bellows. Making it a non issue. I just know that I started laying new wire for the entire length of the bend due to dealing with issues already repaired by other shops.

Originally Posted by 14Accent
These types of repeat failures crack me up. How much more would it have cost to add 5-10mm worth of extra wire in the harness. Fractions of a cent?

Almost makes you wonder if it isn't a deliberate "feature" so that the dealer can make some cash money on a repair after the warranty is up...haha.

Originally Posted by cb_13
Have you fixed many this way? I have always soldered in new wire for the entire length of the bend. By making the repair in the bend it is more likely to break again. Likely to the side of your solder joint.

If you have done many this way maybe there's not much pressure on the wiring anymore due to you disconnecting it from the bellows. Making it a non issue. I just know that I started laying new wire for the entire length of the bend due to dealing with issues already repaired by other shops.

I've repaired several this way. The Bellows is offset quite a bit....So it does more twisting than bending if that makes sense? The reason I loosely spiral the wires around the harness.

But, You bring up a valid point & this method wouldn't work on every vehicle. 2002-2009 Dodge Ram's are notorious for breaking wires in a similar manner & you must replace the sections.

Originally Posted by AC1DD
Originally Posted by 14Accent

Almost makes you wonder if it isn't a deliberate "feature" so that the dealer can make some cash money on a repair after the warranty is up...haha.

This does not benefit the manufacturer thus I don't follow your logic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back