GMC-Canyon 5 Cylinder Engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone think this engine/truck will be decent? I really like the looks of it. I'm going to most likely be buying a new car next fall/winter. This is an option. Tacomas are too small IMO. This new GMC has an Inline 5cylinder engine. I have to say I'm a bit skeptical of GM after reading all the negatives about GM.
frown.gif

I would be leary of a new engine in a first year vehicle. Give it a year and see how it fares especially with a new drivetrain and never used before in any other vehicle.

Here is my take on this. THe I6 420 was already the best canidate for this vechile. Lobing off 1 cylinder and then haveing to add two ballance shafts does not make sense to me! The I6 had fewer moveing parts was naturaly ballanced and was a better match for HP and torque for a truck then the I5. The I4 made sense but once again GM has found a way to shoot themselfs in the foot with yet another power train that was not needed and solves nothing for them.

To make up for the loss of a cylinder they have already made plans to turbo charge this engine in some applications.

Both the i4 and I5 based on the 4200 Vortec share somethiing like 75% of their parts. I just do not like the idea of adding complexity to take away 1 cylinder! Their is no real flaw so far in either engine other then nasty harmonics that require dual ballance shafts to get rid off.

You will also find that towing and hualing capacitys are reduced from previous S-10's. They figure people would rather have a more car like ride. THey also assume that if you really want to tow you can buy a fullsize.

Overall I think it is the best compact truck GM has built to date. I know GM is calling it midsize but that is just not true. It is not midsize at all. The Dakota is midsize and the old Toyota T-100 was midsize.

Personely I like the Dakota better especialy with the 4.7 V8 and almost fullsize payload capability.

I have an 88 S10 and was waiting to buy the new GM pickup. Then I found out that it was not going to have the towing capicity that my old S10 has, I said the hell with it and bought a full size Seirra. It was the best move I ever made. I just hope it lasts like my 88, it has 226k on it and I still use it as a work truck.

[ January 10, 2004, 12:59 AM: Message edited by: Bob Woods ]

I agree with JB on the I-5. It gives up some serious torque compared to the old 4.3. In fact, it fell all the way down to toyota tacoma territory.
frown.gif
Low end grunt and towing capacity was the major advantage of the 4.3 in the s-10. The substantially increased HP rating, will only be noticed when not towing or hauling anything. The 4.2 I-6 would have been a much much better choice. But I still think they should have stuffed a V-8 in there.
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
Anyone think this engine/truck will be decent? I really like the looks of it. -*-*

Same frame... Hummer H3 looks totally Fine to me!
too bad it's not in my price range.

quote:

Originally posted by JohnBrowning:
Here is my take on this. THe I6 420 was already the best canidate for this vechile. Lobing off 1 cylinder and then haveing to add two ballance shafts does not make sense to me!

Thats insane
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
. Oh wait its G.M.
(Disgruntled and screwed former GM owner
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
)

Status
Not open for further replies.