GM genuine reman. Alternator wholesale closeout at RA

My alternator for my 2001 Pontiac grand prix GT is okay, I looked at Rockauto for a spare alternator, they have a GM genuine remanufactured alternator listed as wholesale closeout for $112 with $12 core charge. Is it worth buy it?

It is always best to avoid remanufactured alternators and always buy brand new. The only remanufactured alternator I would buy is the Duralast because it still comes with a lifetime warranty like their new alternators do, which keep in mind by the time you pay shipping, core, etc it will be about the same price as a Duralast reman.

This is also the same for A/C compressors, always buy new.

Any parts house rebuild is kind of a chancy. Your case is probably good to go. However I have always had outstanding results by taking my alternator to a auto/electrical shop and having them rebuild it. At least I have a good idea that i am not buying some additional problem.

My alternator for my 2001 Pontiac grand prix GT is okay, I looked at Rockauto for a spare alternator, they have a GM genuine remanufactured alternator listed as wholesale closeout for $112 with $12 core charge. Is it worth buy it?
I would not buy it if your present one is functioning. Your present one may outlast the car and then you are stuck with it. It may not be easy to sell an alternator for such an old model. I buy a part when it's needed.

$122 + sales tax and shipping for a spare part that you may or mat not need, and can probably repair yourself for way less?

Did I miss something?

Why not just get a used OE one from a junkyard if that makes you happy?

I bought a genuine GM AC-Delco remanufactured (in China) alternator for my ‘74 Bonneville. I thought I was still doing the right thing, buying genuine GM parts, but it lasted maybe 6 months. The O’Reilly one that replaced it has been going at least 7 years.

Back