GM Chevy / Holden Cruze oil

Status
Not open for further replies.

SR5

Recently Cujet gave an great review of the new 2017 Chevy Cruze LT in the vehicle section.

Then we started talking about the small turbo petrol engines.

Originally Posted By: SR5
Here in Oz, we get the JH Cruze with either a 1.8L NA petrol at 104KW & 175 NM, or a 1.6L iTi Turbo petrol with 132 KW & 230 NM.

A few years a go they also offered the 1.4L iTi Turbo petrol at 103KW & 200NM, plus a 2.0L Turbo Diesel at 110 KW & 320 NM - both of these are no longer offered.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
Only the 1.4 turbo is available that I am aware.
138hp at 4900 rpm Aka 103kW

148 lb-ft Aka 200Nm

So it seems the engine is probably the same, IMO,

Funny, we used to get the 1.8 NA offered- now it seems gone from the Cruze.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
The 1.4L turbo engine is truly "all new" for 2017, hence my review. It's not at all the same old thing! Really is much better.

From a magazine test: "Although similar in displacement to the old turbo engine, this one is 35 cubic centimeters larger, freshly designed, and features a block cast of aluminum instead of iron. It’s 44 pounds lighter than the old 1.4T—it’s also lighter than the old naturally aspirated 1.8-liter four—and backs up to either a six-speed manual or the six-speed automatic transmission fitted to our test car. With 153 horsepower and 177 lb-ft of torque, the new engine bests the old 1.4T by 15 horsepower and 29 lb-ft."

Originally Posted By: SR5
With the Australian 2016 Z-Series Cruze, the base models get the 1.8L NA (103kw / 138 HP) while the sporty SRi models get the 1.6 iTI Turbo (132kw / 177 HP) and 18" wheels (235/45).

But now my question is, what oils do you use in North America in these Cruze engines?

I looked into it for the Australian Cruze, and here the word I get is that the local GM (Holden) people say to use a Dexos1 5W30 in the 1.8L NA (no surprises).
But in the 1.4 iTi and 1.6 iTi Turbo petrol engines, they say to use a diesel Dexos2 oil (most of which are also ACEA C3) in either 5W30 or 5W40.

The typical examples given are Castrol Magnatec Diesel DX 5W40 or Valvoline SynPower MST 5W40. Both are rated API SN, ACEA C3 and Dexos2.

Is this the same over there for the turbo petrol engines in the Chevy Cruze ?

Here in the US those engines are spec'd for dexos1 5w-30. Mine seems to be doing just fine on either a full synthetic dexos1 5w-30 or a 0/5w-40.

The old 1.4T was known for PCV issues on synthetic blend dexos1 oils. $150 fix, since the PCV system is integrated into the valve cover.

Originally Posted By: Red91
If I keep my '15 long enough I'm probably just going to run conventional in the 1.8. That thing doesn't need synthetic.

Exactly. It won't last long enough to sludge up anwyay
wink.gif

5w30 Dexos1 approved is recommended minimum, which I believe is no less than a synthetic blend. I've run Valvoline Synpower 5w30 in my '13 1.4T since 6,000 mi. and at 82,000 haven't had to lay a wrench to it aside from recommended maintenance.

Originally Posted By: Brad_C
If I keep my '15 long enough I'm probably just going to run conventional in the 1.8. That thing doesn't need synthetic.

Exactly. It won't last long enough to sludge up anwyay
wink.gif

Glad mine has the 1.4T. 143k miles, spotless inside, and the rest of the car has held up fine too. It does need maintenance on the dot, however.

1.4T here ... running M1 10w30 for 6k-7k OCI ... now at 77k ... no problems/consumption ...
The auto recommended trans fluid at 40k ... pretty dark, so I'd do 30k - easy drain/fill of 4 quarts

I'm confused here....

These small Chevy turbo 4 cylinders are spec'd for dexos1 5W-30. I'd run Edge 0W-40 personally.

Originally Posted By: Red91's signature

'15 Chevy Cruze LS
1.8 4 Cyl, 6 Speed Auto
QSUD 5/30, STP XL Filter

My
49.gif
would be to use the 40 weight oil specified for the Australia market.

Last edited:
In EU all engines get Dexos 2. There is no Dexos 1 here. GM's own 5w30 is popular amongst Opel Fahrers as is cheap, meets the spec, and widely available. I believe it's made by Wolf, Belgium.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
I'm confused here....

These small Chevy turbo 4 cylinders are spec'd for dexos1 5W-30. I'd run Edge 0W-40 personally.

'15 Chevy Cruze LS
1.8 4 Cyl, 6 Speed Auto
QSUD 5/30, STP XL Filter

My
49.gif

He has the naturally aspirated 1.8, but he recommends the 40wt for the turbo 1.4. I think that is what is going on anyway.

A thicker oil would violate the warranty. The spec'd 5W-30 is a surprise. Why hasn't Chevy switched to 5W-20 like other carmakers?

The Cruze 1.4 is the second-highest MPG car you can buy (nonhybrid or diesel)

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
Originally Posted By: Kuato
I'm confused here....

'15 Chevy Cruze LS
1.8 4 Cyl, 6 Speed Auto
QSUD 5/30, STP XL Filter

Ah ok thanks.

My
49.gif

He has the naturally aspirated 1.8, but he recommends the 40wt for the turbo 1.4. I think that is what is going on anyway.

Originally Posted By: veryHeavy

A thicker oil would violate the warranty. The spec'd 5W-30 is a surprise. Why hasn't Chevy switched to 5W-20 like other carmakers?

The interesting thing is that in Australia using Dexos1 5W30 on a iTI turbo would violate the warranty here. But Dexos2 5W40 keeps your GM warranty good in Oz.

Dexos2 is very similar to a ACEA C3 oil (most here carry both specs), and C3 is like a mid-SAPS version of A3/B4. HTHS requirement is 3.5 cP or above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back