GM 2.8 Diesel Canyon MIL: p244c and p24a0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by CleverUserName
I think the new 1500 with the 3.0 Duramax would be better in extreme cold because all the emissions stuff is under the hood where it stays warm. It's similar to the VW TDI and Cruze diesel component arrangement.

The 2.8 has a "truck" like DPF and SCR arrangement, where they are long and laid out in the truck frame. The 2.8 is also very efficient so not much heat is generated with the stock tuning.

A 2.8 w/ a VW tune or Delete tune would be best for an adventure vehicle.

What you are saying about the setup of the emissions components makes sense. However, isn't this vehicle supposed to heat up the whole DEF system? I've read several articles online that even in extreme cold temps for prolonged periods of time the system will work fine! I still don't understand why we're seeing a bunch of Canyonrado Diesels and I don't think they're all driving around in limp mode.

Anyway, we just got a rental car. We are paying for a rental but we'll see what GM reimburses or not. More worried about completing as much of our trip as we can and then getting home on time. We got set back almost 2 days because of this! The plan is to come back through here to pick up our truck after it's been repaired.

I am a little concerned that that won't happen in time, though. They already said the soonest they can even begin to look at it is tomorrow (Thu) so let's say it's simple and they figure it out and they order the part and it comes on Friday and they put it in, it'll be done on Fri.

But we all know that that's not how it works. Do any of you, especially those of you that work in a dealer service department, think our truck will be done anytime soon?

Those DTC's don't have anything to do with the DEF/SCR/Urea Injection system. They point to a low temperature issue with the Catalyst & Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF).

I'd start visual inspection of the exhaust & any abnormalities in scan data, Then test that the Exhaust Aftertreatment Fuel Injector is operational by performing a fuel quantity test which is between 30â€mL and 40â€mL.

Then I'd go straight to a Service Regeneration of the DPF via a scan tool, This allows the vehicle to be stationary & not deal with super cold air of driving it.

Return to customer & advise them to drive the snot out of it to keep EGT's up!

You said it was the DPF being too cold in your initial post. The DPF is under the truck in the frame assembly. It's not insulated or protected from the cold. This is how most full size trucks are set up. The new 3.0 Duramax has a car-like emissions system arrangement contained under the hood.

Some high temp insulation wrapped around the exhaust system on the 2.8 would help keep the heat in and allow you to complete a regeneration in this extreme cold.

The DEF system has a heater, however it still could freeze once you shut the truck off. I would also have added some insulation to the tank before I left on a trip.

Originally Posted by dogememe
Originally Posted by CleverUserName
I think the new 1500 with the 3.0 Duramax would be better in extreme cold because all the emissions stuff is under the hood where it stays warm. It's similar to the VW TDI and Cruze diesel component arrangement.

The 2.8 has a "truck" like DPF and SCR arrangement, where they are long and laid out in the truck frame. The 2.8 is also very efficient so not much heat is generated with the stock tuning.

A 2.8 w/ a VW tune or Delete tune would be best for an adventure vehicle.

What you are saying about the setup of the emissions components makes sense. However, isn't this vehicle supposed to heat up the whole DEF system? I've read several articles online that even in extreme cold temps for prolonged periods of time the system will work fine! I still don't understand why we're seeing a bunch of Canyonrado Diesels and I don't think they're all driving around in limp mode.

Anyway, we just got a rental car. We are paying for a rental but we'll see what GM reimburses or not. More worried about completing as much of our trip as we can and then getting home on time. We got set back almost 2 days because of this! The plan is to come back through here to pick up our truck after it's been repaired.

I am a little concerned that that won't happen in time, though. They already said the soonest they can even begin to look at it is tomorrow (Thu) so let's say it's simple and they figure it out and they order the part and it comes on Friday and they put it in, it'll be done on Fri.

But we all know that that's not how it works. Do any of you, especially those of you that work in a dealer service department, think our truck will be done anytime soon?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dogememe
CleverUserName said:

If they need parts ask them to use Purolator or Fedex and to be flown if possible. FSJ has 5 flights a day originating from either Vancouver or Calgary.

Last edited:
As an update, we got our truck back. They left it indoors over night and ran a service regen. No issues noted, the pending/current codes were all gone. A p244c permanent code remains but it can be ignored... No check engine light or reduced power.

We left our cardboard on the front of the truck to keep it as warm as possible. Coolant temp is staying just above 170, and the truck seems fine.

We are not proceeding north anymore. Changed our plans. Heading east to more populated regions of Canada then we'll come back into the US somewhere around the Dakotas and do the remainder of our road trip in the states where a broken truck is a lot less of a problem.

May I suggest heading south through Western Montana or Northern Idaho. It's frigging cold in the Dakotas.
shocked2.gif
shocked2.gif

Having said that, western Canada and the northern USA is warming up after the weekend.

I suppose you can pick up Yellowstone on the way.

There's a woman behind every tree in North Dakota.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 67ZL1
Sounds like you need to spend the night in Edmonton tomorrow and hit up Cook County Saloon

+1

After that head south on highway 2 and check out Cowboys in Calgary. Then cross the border at Coutts and head to Yellowstone.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot

There's a woman behind every tree in North Dakota.
smile.gif

I have a boyfriend, so I'll leave those to you.

Last edited:
New thread here!

Yes, call GM Roadside Assistance. -20 degs F isn't even all that cold. I feel for you guys as that temp isn't even all that cold. Wait for -30, -40, or -50 deg temps!
grin.gif

Travel safe. Get it running right and don't take chances.

I like the holing-up in a hotel idea for a few days. There's a great Super-8 hotel in Fort Nelson. That's the last "nice" one until Whitehorse! The gas station/restaurant/motel in Destruction Bay isn't bad. Then there an adequate one on the left side of the road as you're driving into Tok, Alaska. Right across the road from the motel is Fast Eddy's Restaurant. Best in Eastern Interior AK -- bar none!

Oh, I saw the page 2 posts. Didn't get to them before posting the above.

Make sure the rental runs well in the cold.
smile.gif

Hope you get the truck back on the return trip. Keep the dealership and GM phone #'s handy!

Good luck!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SteveG4
Oh, I saw the page 2 posts. Didn't get to them before posting the above.

Make sure the rental runs well in the cold.
smile.gif

Hope you get the truck back on the return trip. Keep the dealership and GM phone #'s handy!

Good luck!

Thanks, we've done about 400 miles since getting our GMC back from the dealer. Currently in Edmonton
smile.gif

Good morning. I'm the guy who is thinking your DEF is freezing up. If you find you throw a code this morning I would suggest you find a shopping mall with underground parking and park your truck there to unthaw the DEF. Edmonton City Centre Mall has underground heated parking. You won't get any reprieve in the weather just yet unfortunately. Calgary's high tonight -9 F.

I don't think anyone pointed out the freezing point of DEF is +12 F.By coincidence, starting Sunday the weather in Calgary and south will be +12F or higher.

If you make it to Calgary tonight, the "parkade" called Centenial Parkade on 9th Ave SW is heated. Close by is the Ramada Inn. Good luck.

PS, can anyone chime in if the West Edmonton mall has underground parking? If so, that's where you want to be. It's one of the largest malls in North America.

Last edited:
Las I remember, West Ed has a large parkade but not heated. Maybe a few degrees warmer than ambient..... But that was a few years back since I had been there.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Any news from our friends from Cali?

We had a wonderful dinner at Frontier bar and steakhouse in Shelby, MT. My friend was tired and so I started to drive. About 15 minutes later I was happily tooting along the highway at about 80mph and I start to feel something weird. Like the truck was hesitating just a little bit, but then it seemed alright. It did that a couple times over the course of a minute. I mention it to my friend who thinks I just don't know how to drive or something. Well, a few seconds later the dash lights up like a christmas tree and all sorts of warnings pop up "engine power reduced" "service blah blah blah" and the stupid thing just straight up dies. I coast to the side of the highway... And no, it doesn't restart.

Just cranks and cranks and cranks. So it's -14 out and we've got a broken truck with no heater, and semis whizzing by on a potentially icy highway at 70+ mph. We still had GM roadside assistance in our phone, we called them up... their automated system sends us a link where we have to put in the vin and mileage... well, their website is broken. We fiddled with that for a while and gave up and just pressed the OnStar Emergency button. They are, of course, stupid... they asked us if we'd like to fill out a survey about our experience, and also tried to sell us the more expensive version of OnStar. Because that's what we're worried about right now!

Anyway, about 15 mins later the police show up. We got to stay warm for about an hour in the Sheriff's Explorer while we wait for the tow truck. Tow truck shows up, and GM paid him only to tow it to Conrad, which is a tiny little place. With no Taxi or Uber or rental car places! So we pay the difference to get towed to Great Falls (which is a bigger place with Uber and Enterprise rent-a-car) where we already had a hotel booked for the night. The tow truck driver was very friendly, and brought us to the hotel with our stuff after dropping off the truck at the Chevy dealer here.

Anyway, we'll see what happens. At least now we're in the US so if we need to we can just get the rental and drive it home and then worry about the truck later.

If anyone is interested the codes we have now (I scanned it while we were stuck on the side of the highway) are P0087 and U0401-71.

Well, my daddy used to say "always look on the bright side". If you had driven the same amount north as you did south, you would have been in Watson Lake Yukon, where the temperature is -48 F this morning. The Chevy dealer in Great Falls will get you fixed up. Meanwhile, may I suggest the Lewis and Clark museum in Great Falls. You can spend most of a day there. Check out their gift shop and get a something nice as a reminder of your adventure.
smile.gif

Say, weren't Lewis and Clark two adventurers as well?
laugh.gif

Last edited:
You're less than four hours from Yellowstone National Park and 2-1/2 hours to the the Missouri Headwaters State Park. Water from there exits into the Gulf of Mexico at New Orleans. Forecast for Great Falls is a high of 41 F tomorrow.
laugh.gif

Sam McGee 2.PNG

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back