Glassware for bevarages

Got those TOOWELL glasses. I like the shape and stability/heft - each glass weighs almost a pound. But the dirt trapped inside the glass is disappointing. If this is what they call "high purity crystal," then I'd hate to see what the low purity crystal looks like. For the price, I expected better.

I'm going to order one of those Gencairn glasses for comparison. It does not look as hefty and stable, but maybe it'll be fine.

teeYB4q.jpg

1BNo31Fh.jpg

OrEsBSe.jpg
Let me know how you like the Glencairn glasses. I ordered two of them and still using the first one but haven't dropped it yet! I have had no problem with tipping them over, they seem pretty stable with the bottom being fairly thick.

Riedel makes a glass specifically for tequila. Its basic design is similar to the Glencairn glass, but it's elegant. It would make a good whiskey glass as well. You're basically looking for a smallish, tulip shaped glass to concentrate the aromas for nosing.

Riedel Tequila Glass

Riedel makes a glass specifically for tequila. Its basic design is similar to the Glencairn glass, but it's elegant. It would make a good whiskey glass as well. You're basically looking for a smallish, tulip shaped glass to concentrate the aromas for nosing.

Riedel Tequila Glass
Thanks.

My preference would be for a shorter glass, more like this small tumbler:

I'm actually using something similar to it today - I've got a bunch of these cheap 8 oz wine tumblers for going on a wine tour once.

PEb3JXs.jpg

Thanks.

My preference would be for a shorter glass, more like this small tumbler:

I'm actually using something similar to it today - I've got a bunch of these cheap 8 oz wine tumblers for going on a wine tour once.

PEb3JXs.jpg
I like those! I use something similar (though larger) at my GF's house because it's the closest thing to a Glencairn glass she has. The basic shape still works well.

Forgot to note, the top line signifies 150 ml, so it's easy to pour yourself a standard size "glass of wine" without having to measure. Naturally, not useful for bourbon/whiskey, unless you're trying to get wasted quickly. :)

Back in my drinking days I usually drank straight from the container it came in.
Ah, I know that practice well. Of course, it's even more fun when you keep the container in a paper bag while drinking from it. 8-{D>

For scotch tasting a snifter is a must. For drinking scotch with dinner a rocks glass and ice ball are a must.

Let me know how you like the Glencairn glasses. I ordered two of them and still using the first one but haven't dropped it yet! I have had no problem with tipping them over, they seem pretty stable with the bottom being fairly thick.
OK, yeah, so the Glencairn is a really nice glass, and it's stable enough.

AAU4CY7.jpg

One things I noticed about bars in Europe is that they always use the correct glassware. Guinness goes in a Guinness glass.

Tequila can get very expensive and it's sipped like fine whisky. Not by me, though. I don't like tequila or Scotch. Give me bourbon or rye.

I don't think the correct glass shape makes much of a difference but it certainly adds to the experience and is certainly suave.
Part of the Scotch experience is the smell of the spirit. The Glencairn shape allows you to smell the vapors at a more focused area. Drinking whisky is about the smell and the taste of nuanced flavors. Throw in a little water, and swirl it around (the shape also allows you to swirl it around without splashing out) and again note the changes in the nuanced smells then flavors. You can do the same thing with bourbon and rye.

Back