Giulia Ti Sport Front Pad/Rotor Swap

With a touch under 55k it was time to swap out the front pads/rotors. I had a little life yet, but wanted to get ahead of the wear sensor tripping a light in the dash.

Decided to go with EBC RedStuff pads and R1 aka DFC Geospec rotors. After using the EDC RedStuff on the rears for a pad slap, and using the R1 Geospec on a rotor swap for the CX-5, I figured I’d combine the two for the front end of the Alfa.

Will report an update when I’ve got some miles run.
395E4F32-7561-4748-B4B0-8EFF00678B89.jpeg

0A163CEA-2107-438D-94D8-D47B7E9924E7.jpeg

1F82D661-9BD7-4B21-A99C-5D10D76771E5.jpeg
4AD304AA-DB0E-440D-86B3-742A39D44C47.jpeg

CA6316B8-272E-47D2-B975-2F6934835CFA.jpeg
9571B01F-863E-410B-9ABB-AE2C70EE99A7.jpeg

British parts on an Italian car? Wouldn't Brembo be more in character with the design?
Ha!

Stock is Brembo. Unfortunately, for the life of me, I can’t find where to source the Brembo parts. Brembo USA doesn’t sell them and Brembo Italy is cost prohibitive with shipping to the US, so I’m stuck buying the Alfa stamped pads which carry the Alfa tax. The EBCs are GG rated like the OE Brembos and carry a fair price tag.

Can you give us a small observation of the likes and dislikes about the car.
Sure thing, you can also look through my history as I did reviews along the way.

Pros:
1. Perfect balance of daily practicality and performance.
2. Braking and cornering ability is top notch.
3. Unique. I’ll see hundreds (literally) of BMWs and Mercs before I see another Alfa.
4. Comfortable for longer road trips and fuel efficient.
5. Seats with the performance package are superb *chefs kiss*.

Cons:
1. Too much computer involvement without manual processes to “override” and make adjustments. For example, the OLM can only be reset with an authorized scan tool.
2. Quirky electronics. Random alerts will appear and disappear with a cycle of the ignition or just with continued driving. Infotainment will restart every so often mid drive.
3. Lack of dealerships and/or indy shops with appropriate tools for when more experienced help is needed.
4. Interior isn’t quite as luxurious as you’d expect and the sound system could be better.

Sure thing, you can also look through my history as I did reviews along the way.

Pros:
1. Perfect balance of daily practicality and performance.
2. Braking and cornering ability is top notch.
3. Unique. I’ll see hundreds (literally) of BMWs and Mercs before I see another Alfa.
4. Comfortable for longer road trips and fuel efficient.
5. Seats with the performance package are superb *chefs kiss*.

Cons:
1. Too much computer involvement without manual processes to “override” and make adjustments. For example, the OLM can only be reset with an authorized scan tool.
2. Quirky electronics. Random alerts will appear and disappear with a cycle of the ignition or just with continued driving. Infotainment will restart every so often mid drive.
3. Lack of dealerships and/or indy shops with appropriate tools for when more experienced help is needed.
4. Interior isn’t quite as luxurious as you’d expect and the sound system could be better.

I'm curious: being an FCA/Stellantis product, have you found the random Chrysler bits to be any bother? You mention a lack of luxury, which was my main complaint when I rented a Ghibli SQ4 a few years back.

Sure: it had a Ferrari derived TT engine, GORGEOUS Italian body, and incredible handling. Unfortunately, the interior left MUCH to be desired in terms of fit, finish, and components. Window switches from a Caravan? Infotainment from a Charger? Cluster from a Ram? C'mon...

I'm curious: being an FCA/Stellantis product, have you found the random Chrysler bits to be any bother? You mention a lack of luxury, which was my main complaint when I rented a Ghibli SQ4 a few years back.

Sure: it had a Ferrari derived TT engine, GORGEOUS Italian body, and incredible handling. Unfortunately, the interior left MUCH to be desired in terms of fit, finish, and components. Window switches from a Caravan? Infotainment from a Charger? Cluster from a Ram? C'mon...
Actually, no! The Giulia is **** near 100% Alfa, the shift knob and perhaps window switches are the only things that stick out as being shared items.

My gripes (and these are truly minor things) are things like soft touch points not being defaulted to leather, no ventilated seats (an option now I believe), mirrors don’t adjust when put in reverse, sound system (even with the upgrade H/K) is lackluster. Again, totally a 1st world problems situation.

Actually, no! The Giulia is **** near 100% Alfa, the shift knob and perhaps window switches are the only things that stick out as being shared items.

My gripes (and these are truly minor things) are things like soft touch points not being defaulted to leather, no ventilated seats (an option now I believe), mirrors don’t adjust when put in reverse, sound system (even with the upgrade H/K) is lackluster. Again, totally a 1st world problems situation.

Thanks for the info! The sound system in the Ghibli may have been the single biggest letdown for me. My father has been in radio for almost 40 years, and music is VERY important to me both at home and in my vehicles.

I couldn't believe a car selling for $70k+ could possibly come equipped with an audio system that couldn't match the system in say... my 2001 STS. That system, a Bose 4.0, consisted of 8 speakers powered by a "400 watt" amplifier. 3x dash speakers, 2x 8" woofers in the front doors, 2x 6.5" in the rear doors, and a 12" sub in the rear deck. When playing a CD (remember, 2001) that system would happily play at max volume all day long without a hint of distortion.

Flip back to the Ghibli? That system couldn't go above half volume without sounding as though every speaker was trying to eat itself for dinner. That's before panel resonance is taken into consideration.

About the "mirror tilt in reverse": am I the only one who finds that feature to be completely useless?

Must say, that's some nasty looking rotors: especially for texas. The old pads look good though besides the grooves on the inside pad that are also on the disc.

My own discs look brand spanking new when I remove them, only thinner by about 1/8"

I believe Brembo uses pillar vent technology for those discs (your old discs should show this). If the new discs have that too, they're likely rebranded Brembo castings as I'm not aware of others using pillar vent technology.

Must say, that's some nasty looking rotors: especially for texas.

Car has been in IL since new (2018), recently relocated to TX.

So glad to no longer have to deal with rust like this, they were an absolute bear to get off.

Back