General RT43 or Conti TrueContact Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.
Size is 205/55-16, going on my 2014 Elantra sedan. I have ran the RT43's on the GT, with 17" tires. But there is quite a bit of difference between ride comfort between the 16" and 17". Tire mileage is not much of a concern as the roads down here usually eat them pretty quick. Not much if any snow, hot assed summers, average cold winters, and rainy springtimes. Looking mainly for quiet and all around good handling. The choice is between these two.

The RT43 has better wet braking and ice braking, according to CR, so I'd go with that over the COnti. The Conti will last longer.

Hankook 737
whistle.gif

On my 2017 Elantra SE replaced T-Rated Nexens on 12/31 with TrueContact Tour H rated ones. What I noticed immediately is how hard the Continentals were with less air pressure. Turns out they balanced all tires 1/2 ounce out so felt like tires were going up and down. Even after re-balance felt every bump in road. I hated them. Customer service recommended RT43s. Was my favorite tire on previous car so tires were switched out with warranty. Immediately noticed RT43s absorbed bumps better and were very quiet. Nexens would break loose in a turn unless I slowed down. I find RT43s do not have that issue. Nexen and TruContact had a hum noise at highway speed. RT43s are getting better the longer I have them. Continental was great with warranty if you buy them and I like the company. Just hated the tires.

Usually I would just say to Jump on the Generals but their price rise over the years opens up many possibilities. I would look at Pirellis and Michelins if they are close in price, check Costco.

Keep in mind that General Tire and Continental are the same company, and both tires are made in General Tire US plants..

That said, the Conti is a better performing tire with higher ratings, overall. Check Tire Rack for a side by side comparison.

Last edited:
I've had this exact debate with myself(Angel & Devil on my shoulders) between these two exact same tires in which I'll buy next spring.

I have had the General AltiMax RT 43 on another car(Lexus) and I liked everything about them except that they can be audible. Not loud persay, just noticeable. And the fact that I have become a fan of Generals in general(no pun). We have AltiMax Arctic as well and love'em.

However, though I'm not particularly a fan of Continental tires, the TrueContactTour have become somewhat compelling to me in the Tire Rack testing and TRs customer rating is slightly higher than Consumer Reports rating.

And the TrueContTour's customer reviews on other sites are very mixed meaning, the good reviews are GOOD and the bad reviews are VERY BAD. Where the RT43 are more consistently Good. And the fact that the RT43 are probably the safer choice.

Just my opinion and still not sure which way I'll go just yet.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Propflux01
Size is 205/55-16, going on my 2014 Elantra sedan. I have ran the RT43's on the GT, with 17" tires. But there is quite a bit of difference between ride comfort between the 16" and 17". Tire mileage is not much of a concern as the roads down here usually eat them pretty quick. Not much if any snow, hot assed summers, average cold winters, and rainy springtimes. Looking mainly for quiet and all around good handling. The choice is between these two.

In addition, we've had this same size(205-55-16) on another car and we used Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season PLUS with GREAT Success! They handle any snow that you'd most likely get and they're quiet and good riding with nice handling as well. The P7 don't show to do well in the wet handling & braking but I'll tell ya, it's nothing we ever noticed. And they wear well.

Continental hands down. Have them on all my Hyundais and former Kia. Better than the Michelins that I used for years.

I think this goes to show ratings are not everything. All I can do is report my experience. Tires are like shoes. Some brands are terrible for me while other people love them. I have only had bad experiences Goodyear so will never buy them again. The RT43s check what I want in a tire. Makes me want to drive my car. Will probably avoid Continental just because first experience was so bad. I was considering the Pirelli Cinturato P7. My shop did carry them and went for the rebate from Continental.

Well, the first conti's I had on the car, factory in 2014, were good, but loud and hard from day one.(This is when I had 17's on it, which have been since replaced with 16's because I couldn't stand the firm ride anymore) My wife's GT currently has them on now, and I can tell a difference riding in her car, and mine, which currently have the Kumho TA31's on them. I will be honest, the RT43's aren't a bad tire, they handle very well and such. I've heard pretty much good things about the Conti, except a few who, like MONKEYMAN, reported them to be extremely hard, which I want to avoid. I have tried the Pirelli P7 on a Sonata a few years ago, wonderful tire, but after some miles were on them, downright dangerous in the rain.

Originally Posted by MONKEYMAN
I think this goes to show ratings are not everything. All I can do is report my experience. Tires are like shoes. Some brands are terrible for me while other people love them. I have only had bad experiences Goodyear so will never buy them again. The RT43s check what I want in a tire. Makes me want to drive my car. Will probably avoid Continental just because first experience was so bad. I was considering the Pirelli Cinturato P7. My shop did carry them and went for the rebate from Continental.

OMG funny you mention this.^^^
I had been buying Good/Year tires since the early 70's and hated every set(4) that I ever bought(except the AssurComftTredTour). I stopped buying G/Ys in the mid 2000s.

AND yes, I've purchased other brands of tire other in between my G/Y purchases. However, everytime I gave G/Y another chance, they only disappointed me once again for one reason or another.

And as-far-as Continentals, I have only ever had OE Conti's on vehicles. I have never purchased them aftermarket. I haven't like a single one of them either, which has left me with hard feeling with the brand and causing me to overlook them.

Pirelli's have become a go to brand for me even if their prices are higher than some other brands that I've been considering. This is how satisfied with the brand.

On my 2017 Elantra SE replaced T-Rated Nexens on 12/31 with TrueContact Tour H rated ones. What I noticed immediately is how hard the Continentals were with less air pressure. Turns out they balanced all tires 1/2 ounce out so felt like tires were going up and down. Even after re-balance felt every bump in road. I hated them. Customer service recommended RT43s. Was my favorite tire on previous car so tires were switched out with warranty. Immediately noticed RT43s absorbed bumps better and were very quiet. Nexens would break loose in a turn unless I slowed down. I find RT43s do not have that issue. Nexen and TruContact had a hum noise at highway speed. RT43s are getting better the longer I have them. Continental was great with warranty if you buy them and I like the company. Just hated the tires.

What speed rating are the RT43's that you have? There does seem to be a big difference when going from a T rated one to an H rating. The H rated ones seem to be more of a performance tire with a stiffer sidewall. The 2012 Camry has T rated RT43's while the Matrix has H rated Nokian eNTYRES.

Originally Posted by SatinSilver

What speed rating are the RT43's that you have? There does seem to be a big difference when going from a T rated one to an H rating. The H rated ones seem to be more of a performance tire with a stiffer sidewall. The 2012 Camry has T rated RT43's while the Matrix has H rated Nokian eNTYRES.

I currently have H rated RT43s. First set was T rated which I liked better. I prefer softer ride.

I currently have H rated RT43s. First set was T rated which I liked better. I prefer softer ride.

How is the noise level? Handling?

I've got V speed rated RT43's on my 300S, which also has the firmer "sport" suspension. They actually soak up bumps far better than my previous Ironman iMove's that came on it, but so far better traction. What limited snow I've driven in so far has proven to be pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back