Garage floor coating

Status
Not open for further replies.
My concrete garage floor finish is looking really bad. The concrete surface is good but, the paint/coating is bad. I need suggestions and approximate prices to have the floor refinished. I am unable to do this so I must hire someone. Ed

Hello Ed
I've never coated my garage floor, but the owner of the company I work for did his about 10 years ago
It was an epoxy compound product that he contracted through with HD
He was never satisfied with the results and now it's peeling off the floor in several places.
Just FYI for ya
Good luck sir !ðŸ‘

Unless it's brand new concrete, it's going to have oil stains. Concrete is porous so oil soaks deep down. Don't see how they can clean it well enough for the coating to stick long term.

Ed, suggest you read through the garage floor discussions over on the Garage Journal forums. They are to floors what this place is to oil.

Success depends heavily on prep, prior treatments and contamination, quality of the coating, and quality of application. It also depends heavily on how much moisture your concrete wicks.

In my garage, I used a single base epoxy from a big box store, followed instructions to the letter, let it cure a few extra days, it came off under my shoes and the tires immediately.

I sanded it all off, re-prepped everything, and used UCoat It 2-part epoxy. 14 years later and it's only gone from where the tires physically sanded it off from turning in place.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Unless it's brand new concrete, it's going to have oil stains. Concrete is porous so oil soaks deep down. Don't see how they can clean it well enough for the coating to stick long term.

From my understanding, they use an acid to clean the top enough so the paint / epoxy can grab onto the concrete, sealing the oil down below. You are not going to see it anyways (unless you use a clear sealant).

To get oil stains up,

Pour some clay cat litter (not the scoopable kind) on the stain

Put on a pair of boots,

Shuffle feet through cat litter, grinding it into the concrete and stain.

Sweep up cat litter...

Originally Posted by Eddie
My concrete garage floor finish is looking really bad. The concrete surface is good but, the paint/coating is bad. I need suggestions and approximate prices to have the floor refinished. I am unable to do this so I must hire someone. Ed

I did my floor myself with some help from friends. The floor was 25 years old with stains and some cracks. We started by epoxy filling the cracks. When the exoxy crack filler was dry, we brought in a concrete grinding machine and went to town.

Next up, five or six good solid rounds of pressure washing with degreaser, just to clean up what the grinder might have left behind.

When the floor dried, it was time to apply a coat of primer, the epoxy colour coat, the flakes, and two coats of clear.

We used Legacy Products out of Florida, and the stuff looks amazing five years later. It's just beautiful. It is way more expensive than what you buy at Home Depot, but the process was way too labour intensive to ruin it with cheap product.

If I could do it all again, I would not change a thing. Conversely, a friend of mine did his floor with minimal cleaning and cheap product and it looks like [censored].

I did my 20 year floor ( at the time) 9 years ago. lots of oil stains. So for cleaning up those stains I used acetone on the oil scrubbed it in and then clay cat litter on it. Then had a man come in and sandblast the floor. used a 2 part industrial epoxy then added paint flakes to it and followed up with a 2 part clear urethane. The urethane is more chemical resistant than clear epoxy. ( tires won't stain it ) It has been holding up very well ( I have a gravel driveway ) I have no peeling of the paint 9 years later.

Lots of good and interesting information here and I thank you. Now to head over to the GARAGE JOURNAL FORUM for more information-thanks Langanobob. Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back