Galaxy Quest (The Movie)

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
I inadvertently stumbled across this movie on Netflix. It's a campy sendup of the early Star Trek series with Tim Allen, Sigourney Weaver (❤️❤️), Tony Shalhoub (👍👍), and Allan Rickman (👍). I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. I laughed out loud several times. Maybe you'll find it worthwhile and enjoyable as well.

David Mamet (playwright, film director, and screenwriter) wrote that there are only four perfect movies: The Godfather, A Place in the Sun, Dodsworth, and Galaxy Quest.

I'm going to watch it again ... there's more to it than what's immediately apparent There's a documentary about the making of the movie that's available on Amazon that opened my eyes to a few creative aspects that I missed and which also discusses the business and industry political decisions that contributed to the final result.

Never Surrender: A Galaxy Quest Documentary

Thanks for the notice of the documentary.
That they made GQ in the first place is one thing. That they did such a good job is quite another.
I want to see it again too.

As I recall, my only "negative criticism" was that Tim Allen's drunken, "down 'n out" sequence was a tad long.
GQ moved along better than Ghost Busters; as whacky, goofy stuff goes.

It's as campy as it true to form with a lot of ridiculous Sci-Fi franchises. I truly hope a galactic civilization doesn't take our tv shows as gospel.

It’s a great send up of Star Trek and Trekkies*, but it also stands on its own as very funny movie. We own it. Have watched it several times. Love it.

*For the record, I am a Trekkie. Die hard. Know every line from the original series. Watched ”The Apple” live on TV with my grandmother when I was about 5 years old, one of my earlier memories. Used to watch it in syndication when I was a kid. Have DVDs of every series. A phaser on my bookshelf. Sadly, “Starship Captain” wasn’t a career option for me, born a few centuries too early. Got as close as I could…

It’s a great send up of Star Trek and Trekkies*, but it also stands on its own as very funny movie. We own it. Have watched it several times. Love it.

*For the record, I am a Trekkie. Die hard. Know every line from the original series. Watched ”The Apple” live on TV with my grandmother when I was about 5 years old, one of my earlier memories. Used to watch it in syndication when I was a kid. Have DVDs of every series. A phaser on my bookshelf. Sadly, “Starship Captain” wasn’t a career option for me, born a few centuries too early. Got as close as I could…
Just plain, simple Astro14.

Woah! When was "Tralfaz" revealed? Episode #1.....or a pilot?

Thread idea: Any pilots or First Episodes you care to share?

”Astro” in my case was derived from my undergraduate major (Astrophsyics) but I’m certain it stuck because everyone thought of the Jetson’s dog. “Ruh-Roh” was often heard in the ready room…

Never got into Star Trek, or any sci fi, but enjoy watching GQ every so often.

Watched Rogue One last night, and found myself making reference to GQ in a couple of scenes towards the end.

I inadvertently stumbled across this movie on Netflix. It's a campy sendup of the early Star Trek series with Tim Allen, Sigourney Weaver (❤️❤️), Tony Shalhoub (👍👍), and Allan Rickman (👍). I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. I laughed out loud several times. Maybe you'll find it worthwhile and enjoyable as well.
Ha ha ha. Almost identical situation here. Been aware of plot line but usually avoid sci fi stuff. I love near all comedies. So I too found it streaming and made myself pay attention & watch. I get a real kick out of certain comedy movies they portay to be accidental comedy plots. Like how they took a movie years ago , The Three Amigos and simply tracked some plot parts from the famous n violent western film The Magnificent Seven and they turned it into a foolish style comedy like someone did with Galaxy Quest. I enjoyed and caught myself laughing out loud and will watch it again one day. I also enjoy now and then when serious actors show they can do some real comedy time to time. Especially Rickman. I got a charge out of how in Galaxy Quest they used Sigourney Weaver at the end and in tiny spots as a wink to how movies used to throw in some total bomb shell who barely meant anything to the plot but were there no doubt to be eye candy. While she actually was part of the story in this one.... Did you catch at different parts (LMAO) how during the film there would be times just out of the blue with no sign or part showing how it happened, YET her shirt would just magically be all torn open while no one elses uniforms were a mess or out of sorts!?? Ha ha ha. They made it obvious it was so out of place in the plot each time as a spoof.:sneaky:

I just looked it up on IMDb and realized I watch this back when it was new and I was a teenager. I specifically remember the one alien guy talking to Tim Allen. I watched home improvement when I was a kid every night for a while.

Back