Fumoto Valve-long term endurance

Alternatives if you're not comfortable with the Fumoto design.

Another option as well.

I have one on my '13 Outback 2.5. Installed over 10 years ago, and no issues at all. Valve has never leaked. It opens and closes with no issues. No issues with integrity of valve.

The valve does slow down flow, but not enough that it matters. For my oil change routine, I always open the valve first, to start draining oil. Then I remove the oil filter and install the new filter. By the time I'm done with the filter, the oil is all drained, and is down to a very slow drip.

For my Subaru, the Fumoto valve works great. I have the short nipple drain valve. The oil drain plug is aft and above the sway bar, so the valve is well protected, even for when I go off road. As @dnewton3 pointed out, Fumoto offers plenty of valve styles, that give you options for the valve to tuck up tight to the drain pan.

it's slower flowing because the oriface is a smaller diameter compared to the drain plug.

No issues with durability in the worst of both worlds Northeast climate.

No issues with mine on the Elantra. It’s been on there since the first oil change. It does take a long time to drain, but I don’t wait all day. I let it drain for about 10 minutes then close it up. Drain, plus filter change, leaves roughly .2 quarts, meaning I can just dump a gallon in and call it good. Leaves it at the top of the Full mark every time.

I'll never know about long term endurance.

I tried installing my first Fumoto a few months ago on the Lexus. It threaded in but stopped about 1/8" short of bottoming against the pan. Instead of forcing it, I just re-installed the drain plug.

Fumoto has ones that swivel ... hangs down no lower than any other brand because you can rotate the outlet.
The swivel one which is what is recommended for my '19 Pilot still hangs down a lot. The pan has an odd shape with deep recess not letting it swivel up.

I'm probably going to order a Valvomax for next change to try it out for the Pilot and see if I can access through the skid plate. The Fumoto on my Accord is fine, no issues. The ones I had on the Sequoia and Sonata also worked great for many years.

Back