Fully Welded Service Carts - are they truly stronger?

Last edited:
In your first example, yes, fully welded is superior because that cart can easily "rack". As they used to say on PBB before Vertical Scope destroyed 90% of forums: needs more triangulation :D

In the second, perhaps less so because the inner box/drawers add(s) rigidity. And the drawers lower (vertically) your weight. The first is intended to have all weight on the top and only shelf (except for the bottom tray, obviously)

But generally speaking, I'd choose fully welded any time it was practical to do so. But I wouldn't really worry about it on the Matco due to overall design. And of course if anything ever really annoyed me I'd just weld it up ;)

I had no problems with rigidity on my old 5-drawer HF cart, and it bolted together

I have this Matco with a side shelf. I don’t think it’s welded, but I bought it used and already assembled. It survived multiple transports from purchase to job changes and ultimately to my house. It has every tool I used day to day and got way more use than my toolbox, moved around to wherever the job was within the shop. It’s held up perfectly and keeps my mightyvac and other larger messy items below.
IMG_8089.jpg

I think that technically the full welds are better then bolts but in real life service you might not ever tell the difference - if that makes sense.

Back