Full Synthetic Oil made from Natural Gas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Direct_Rejection
What is up with the comments bagging on Pennzoil ?

It is common knowledge that GTL offers near PAO performance,
other than when starting in very lpw temperatures.

So, Ferrari has got it all wrong ?

And why is it XOM uses GTL in some of their formulations ?

Check out some UOAs with Pennzoil Gold, using partial GTL basestocks.

You may come off your Magnatec roost.

The answer to all of your questions... it's cheaper.

Also, about the only thing it has in common with PAO is low solvency. Otherwise, it's much more like a group III.

I would hardly characterize GTL as "just like any other grp3" base stock. You can debate the viability and cost factors associated with GTL production (I'm sure the bean counters at Shell do that daily) but it's undeniable that GTL base stocks are of high quality, offering very high purity, very VI's and PAO like thermal and oxidative stability. All this is important as vehicle mfgs continue to push the envelope on thinner lubes with longer drain intervals.

Infineum - GTL

Graphic courtesy of Sasol.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Help me understand. Which oils use GTL base oils? Are we just talking about Pennzoil? Or are we saying Quaker State Full Synthetic uses GTL as well?

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by willbur
Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
There's nothing special about GTL base oils. They don't "keep engines cleaner," that's just marketing mumbo-jumbo. Every brand says their oil keeps engines cleaner. GTL is just a cheaper way to make a group III base oil. Nothing more, nothing less.

I wonder if even that is true, considering the cost to construct the Pearl GTL plant. It's hard to compete with something you just pump out of the ground and you don't have to assemble first.

Huh? Natural gas doesn't flow out of the ground and crude doesn't require cracking etc at a plant and reassembly into group III?

Where does natural gas come from then?

The different processes have their own cost structure. The Pearl GTL plant in Qatar cost Shell $24 billion and that's a old number. It's likely higher than that.

Uh...do you know how to read?

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by willbur
Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
There's nothing special about GTL base oils. They don't "keep engines cleaner," that's just marketing mumbo-jumbo. Every brand says their oil keeps engines cleaner. GTL is just a cheaper way to make a group III base oil. Nothing more, nothing less.

I wonder if even that is true, considering the cost to construct the Pearl GTL plant. It's hard to compete with something you just pump out of the ground and you don't have to assemble first.

Huh? Natural gas doesn't flow out of the ground and crude doesn't require cracking etc at a plant and reassembly into group III?

Where does natural gas come from then?

The different processes have their own cost structure. The Pearl GTL plant in Qatar cost Shell $24 billion and that's a old number. It's likely higher than that.

Mexican Restaurants of course.

Originally Posted by Gebo
Help me understand. Which oils use GTL base oils? Are we just talking about Pennzoil? Or are we saying Quaker State Full Synthetic uses GTL as well?

Well we know SOPUS in their Pennzoil premium lubes do..it says so right on the bottle. (I think Helix too) Beyond those you got me. Someone recently said XOM was using GTL and that was news to me. I had always thought XOM used their own grp3+ "Visom" base oils.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back