Full Synthetic for ATS V

Hey everyone, first post here. Been doing a lot of research and reading, hope you guys could help me out on an oil selection

Just bought a 2016 Cadillac ATS V with 35K on the clock. Still under factory warranty, oil change history is good, all done at the dealer with Dexos 5W30 oil.

I am a Cadillac Master technician, I know these cars inside and out and have not seen any mechanical failures issues with the twin turbo 3.6LV6 on street driven stock cars following the oil life monitor and using the factory oil.

That being said, this is our third car and will be primarily driven very hard when on the street and at the 10 to 15 track days we plan to attend.
GM doesn't recommend a different oil for track uses like they do in the CTS V and Corvettes with the LT4 but I would like to use an oil that may withstand this kind of abuse better than the normal AC Delco Dexos 5W30.

Car is parking in a heated garage.

I am changing the oil filters to the AC Delco Ultraguard and will be changing oil at 3K to 5K miles or once a year. I will do UOA to see if my intervals need changing and how the oil is holding up, I will be sure to post.

I have narrowed my list down to Dexos1Gen2 approved oils :

Mobil 1 AP 5W30
Royal Purple 5W30
Motul 8100 Eco lite 5W30

I am open to all suggestions. I am leaning towards the Motul, all of these are pretty close in price but price is not a driving factor here. Performance and protection are most important.

I know some other great oils would work but do not have the Dexos approval even if they meet the specifications.

Thank you, any help is appreciated!

I sold those new in San Francisco.. Mobil was factory fill

M1 5W30 AP or Redline.

Remember Mobil has a rebate going on also+ Walmart clearance

Dave

I am my own mechanic....

Any issues with Redline on turbo DI engines causing LSPI?

I have a CPO warranty for 3 more years so if I could get away with abusing it with Dexos spec oil I would like.....but I will call Redline and ask them what they recommend.

Originally Posted by Averroes
Congrats on your new car.

Like others have said, Redline. If not Redline, then Amsoil.

Thank you! We are pretty excited.

Looks like everyone is on board with Redline and Ammsoil saying they meet the Dexos spec even without paying for the certification?

Mostly. If there is evidence of low oil level events, over rev or other things like that then its questionable but it gets hard to deny warranty coverage on vehicles that were marketed as track capable cars....

I see there are small differences between the Redline 5W30 and the Dexos approved 5W30.....would one be better than the other?

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
Does the CPO warranty cover track days?

Using the car as a race car versus lapping events which Cadillac sponsors from time to time is different too.

Racing competition is not covered by warranty

Napa Synthetic is also d1g2
smile.gif

Napa's house brand oil is Valvoline. It is also on sale this month for $3.49/qt. While you're there, pick up a Napa Platinum filter for $6.49

Doesn't your ATS have an OLM?

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Napa Synthetic is also d1g2
smile.gif

Napa's house brand oil is Valvoline. It is also on sale this month for $3.49/qt. While you're there, pick up a Napa Platinum filter for $6.49

Doesn't your ATS have an OLM?

Ya the ATS has OLM, will loosely follow it but most likely change it before it gets to 30%.

Cost of the oil and filter are not a limiting factor, I get the AC Delco Ultraguard filter at cost and as I understand they are a great filter.

Is Napa's(Valvoline) sythetic on par with the other oils recommended for agressive use and track days? Which Valvoline synthetic do they use?

Originally Posted by cadillactech
Looks like Redline does have a Dexos approved 5W30.....
I will add that to the list then!

Just buy Kendall in that case it's the same oil.
Redline has two levels. Repackaged Kendall and the traditional Redline.

If the ATS-V allows the viscosity for track use I would consider the new Corvette 40 Grade from Mobil but that's just me.

My Mustang gets 15W-50 for track use despite Ford's 5W-50 Spec. I don't trust the 5W-50 not to shear all the way to a 30 Grade with true severe duty.

Really until you some track oil temps it's all guess work.

Last edited:
I am my own mechanic....

Any issues with Redline on turbo DI engines causing LSPI?

I have a CPO warranty for 3 more years so if I could get away with abusing it with Dexos spec oil I would like.....but I will call Redline and ask them what they recommend.

non what so ever its one of the very best in every aspect there is.the non dexos redline is the one to buy,the dexos one is inferior.

Originally Posted by avi1777
go to a private mechanic and put redline in it.

The guy is a cadillac master tech, why would he do that lol?

Originally Posted by OppositeLocK
go to a private mechanic and put redline in it.

The guy is a cadillac master tech, why would he do that lol?

missed that part my bad.

but when I think about it a master tech shouldn't understand at least a little bit in engine oils?not trying to be sarcastic or anything but its basic stuff.

but when I think about it a master tech shouldn't understand at least a little bit in engine oils?not trying to be sarcastic or anything but its basic stuff.

I was looking for reccomendations based on other peoples experience with regards to track oils.

I understand what to use for this as a street car. I was hoping someone would have experience with a similar set up on track use.

Originally Posted by Gene K
Looks like Redline does have a Dexos approved 5W30.....
I will add that to the list then!

Just buy Kendall in that case it's the same oil.
Redline has two levels. Repackaged Kendall and the traditional Redline.

If the ATS-V allows the viscosity for track use I would consider the new Corvette 40 Grade from Mobil but that's just me.

My Mustang gets 15W-50 for track use despite Ford's 5W-50 Spec. I don't trust the 5W-50 not to shear all the way to a 30 Grade with true severe duty.

Really until you some track oil temps it's all guess work.

Good to know about Kendall and Redline.

You are right about oil temps and guessing, I will see what UOA and oil temps say using a 5W30, may have to go to a 40 weight like the Corvettes and CTS Vs.

Back