Fuel Tanker Driver Here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by painfx
Originally Posted by GoldDot40
Originally Posted by swss
Hey GoldDot, thanks for this! Very informative.

If your still around, I have a quick question that I was surprised that was not asked yet!

87 vs 93

Obviously more 87 is being delivered. But can you give us a rough idea what the percentage is between the two? 90% to 10%? 80/20?

Also, I would think the 93 sits around a lot longer in the stores tanks. . . Can you give us an idea what the product "turn around" time is.

Thanks again!!

It will vary some depending on the region. For instance, stores close to large lakes/reservoirs, the 87 to 93 volume ratio is probably closer to 65/35 or even 60/40. Lots of people run 93 in their boats if ethanol free isn't available. Up in the mountains in my normal territory, it's closer to 90/10. Down around Augusta GA, I'd say 80/20.

That's based on what's actually sold vs what we haul. I can see the flow rates of each product at the stores I deliver to, so my calculations are fairly accurate. Stores with 89 tanks in the ground? I wouldn't take a free fillup of that stuff.

I thought 89 gets mixed at the gas pump nozzle. Didn't know it had it's own tank.

MOST of it is mixed at the pump. There are still some older stores that still have storage tanks just for 89...that's mixed as we load it. Just had one of the 2 Circle K sites pump out their 89 tank and converted it into a diesel tank. That store doesn't offer 89 at all now. I'm down to one Circle K in this market with a dedicated mid-grade tank. It's been months since we delivered any 89 gas there.

Originally Posted by swss
Hey GoldDot, thanks for this! Very informative.

If your still around, I have a quick question that I was surprised that was not asked yet!

87 vs 93

Obviously more 87 is being delivered. But can you give us a rough idea what the percentage is between the two? 90% to 10%? 80/20?

Also, I would think the 93 sits around a lot longer in the stores tanks. . . Can you give us an idea what the product "turn around" time is.

Thanks again!!

It will vary some depending on the region. For instance, stores close to large lakes/reservoirs, the 87 to 93 volume ratio is probably closer to 65/35 or even 60/40. Lots of people run 93 in their boats if ethanol free isn't available. Up in the mountains in my normal territory, it's closer to 90/10. Down around Augusta GA, I'd say 80/20.

That's based on what's actually sold vs what we haul. I can see the flow rates of each product at the stores I deliver to, so my calculations are fairly accurate. Stores with 89 tanks in the ground? I wouldn't take a free fillup of that stuff.

I thought 89 gets mixed at the gas pump nozzle. Didn't know it had it's own tank.

MOST of it is mixed at the pump. There are still some older stores that still have storage tanks just for 89...that's mixed as we load it. Just had one of the 2 Circle K sites pump out their 89 tank and converted it into a diesel tank. That store doesn't offer 89 at all now. I'm down to one Circle K in this market with a dedicated mid-grade tank. It's been months since we delivered any 89 gas there.

Should one be worried if a gas station that does not get pumped 93 enough? As in stale gas.

Should one be worried if a gas station that does not get pumped 93 enough? As in stale gas.

We all know what "stale" gas smells like. I can honestly say that I smell it when I open the lid on SOME (certainly not all) of these stores' 93 tanks. Yeah....the extremely slow pumping stores, I would be concerned. I test for water in every tank before I deliver. Even though I get that stale odor, I never detect water...but still.

Originally Posted by Deo
Thanks for all the info, GoldDot40! I'm curious, how many gallons of additives would there be (assuming regular-grade Top Tier) in a 1,000 gallon load of fuel? You mentioned there would be 100 gallons of ethanol in there - I'm just curious if you're able to see how many gallons of additives are put in. Also, which fuel brand puts the highest percentage of additives into their regular grade?

It's 0.001% or 100ppm in most cases. So for 1000 gallons of E10 about 1 gallon is the additive package.

Not trying to be a pain here, but, is it 0.001% or 100ppm (which is 0.01%) I think it's the 100ppm - just want to be sure. The reason I'm asking is I think Chevron/Techron additive is very good. I can't always get to a Chevron station and sometimes buy non Top Tier gaso and add a little Techron while fueling. I'm trying to basically make Chevron pump mogas. I know this is crude for a couple of reasons. One - I don't know the additive injection rate of Chevron gasoline, and second the Techron in a bottle may be different than what is at terminal.

I want to say thanks a bunch for all the good input!

Originally Posted by GJM120
Originally Posted by Deo
Thanks for all the info, GoldDot40! I'm curious, how many gallons of additives would there be (assuming regular-grade Top Tier) in a 1,000 gallon load of fuel? You mentioned there would be 100 gallons of ethanol in there - I'm just curious if you're able to see how many gallons of additives are put in. Also, which fuel brand puts the highest percentage of additives into their regular grade?

It's 0.001% or 100ppm in most cases. So for 1000 gallons of E10 about 1 gallon is the additive package.

Not trying to be a pain here, but, is it 0.001% or 100ppm (which is 0.01%) I think it's the 100ppm - just want to be sure. The reason I'm asking is I think Chevron/Techron additive is very good. I can't always get to a Chevron station and sometimes buy non Top Tier gaso and add a little Techron while fueling. I'm trying to basically make Chevron pump mogas. I know this is crude for a couple of reasons. One - I don't know the additive injection rate of Chevron gasoline, and second the Techron in a bottle may be different than what is at terminal.

I want to say thanks a bunch for all the good input!

I acknowledged the decimal misplacement several posts after that. .01% or 100ppm.

[/quote]
I acknowledged the decimal misplacement several posts after that. .01% or 100ppm.[/quote]

Aha -thanks. Sorry I missed that.

Do you have any idea of the Chevron/Texaco additive rate?

Originally Posted by GJM120
[/quote]
I acknowledged the decimal misplacement several posts after that. .01% or 100ppm.

Aha -thanks. Sorry I missed that.

Do you have any idea of the Chevron/Texaco additive rate?[/quote]
Last time I asked, the terminal operator seemed like it would be a hassle to dig out the spec sheets to show me. Just said it was "about 100ppm like most other additives".

Great wealth of info!

Just to be clear, I live in an area with no emissions test. The stations that are IN the area where the test is not required, is most likely the same gas year round.

so basically 0.128 oz per 1 gallon of gas. thanks for the info.

Last edited:
I've been a member here for a looonnnggg time and this is the most interesting thread I've ever seen. Many thanks to GoldDot40
for information from the source and very well written at that.
11.gif

FWIW, A giant, 18 dispenser Shell opened last year near me replacing an old junky garage/no name station. They buried a huge submarine size tank and a somewhat smaller tank. Since they also sell diesel, I assume that the giant tank is regular unleaded and the smaller tank is 1/2 premium unleaded and 1/2 diesel. Would make sense to have less premium in the ground than regular.

Originally Posted by RTexasF
I've been a member here for a looonnnggg time and this is the most interesting thread I've ever seen. Many thanks to GoldDot40
for information from the source and very well written at that.
11.gif

x2

Originally Posted by c1vic
so basically 0.128 oz per 1 gallon of gas. thanks for the info.

Its better to buy your own fuel additive like redline sl-1 or techron 1 oz.

Every once in a while we will read in the news about a gasoline retailer fined for dispensing 87 octane from the premium pump.

If an unscrupulous retailer makes a conscious decision to pump 87 octane through the premium pump, does it require assistance from the tanker driver to make it happen?

Originally Posted by Joe1
Every once in a while we will read in the news about a gasoline retailer fined for dispensing 87 octane from the premium pump.

If an unscrupulous retailer makes a conscious decision to pump 87 octane through the premium pump, does it require assistance from the tanker driver to make it happen?

What would be good to know is how they were caught. If the state popped in for a random product test and the premium tank test sample was way under the acceptable octane rating, then yes, I'd say the tanker driver had a hand in it....whether deliberate or by accident.

The only way to manipulate the dispenser is to have it programmed to ONLY pump from the Regular tank regardless of what product is chosen when activated to dispense. When operating correctly, blend dispensers only pull from the regular tank when you're pumping regular unleaded (obviously) or when you're pumping mid-grade.

Companies like Shell and Exxon are specifically advertising the additive benefits in their premium fuels (anti-friction for example). Is the additive package actually different in premium fuel, or is it simply a higher percentage of the same stuff found in regular-grade? I have a hard time believing there are separate storage tanks at the terminal for these supposedly "premium-only" additives which they advertise, but maybe I'm wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back