Frozen Upper Agitator on old Kenmore Washer Fix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Decided to wash a load of clothes today after cycling the water softener and remembered that the upper agitator on my 1990 Kenmore 110.82982100 washer was stuck. As such, it rotates about +- 30° instead of screwing around CW. Thus the clothes are no longer pushed down in the center and up from the bottom along the sides.

I noticed a slot to remove the cap and after doing so, noticed one of the four dogs/pawls had broken off and was jammed next to the one downstream of it.

So I reached in there with some dikes, cut it in half and extracted the bits with needle-nose pliers. Started the washer and she's free!

I'll pick up some new ones and replace all four. Also discovered that the inner "well" fills up with water when the water level selector knob is set to "large". So a seal must need replacing as well. It then appears to leak down the center, under the gasket under the bolt attaching the agitator to the driveshaft and leaking out onto the floor. I couldn't understand why it would do this sometimes and not others. The reason is I usually wash a smaller load of clothes, thus the water level isn't high enough to get into the center.

Some new gaskets/o-rings + dogs and I'll have solved two problems at once! Easy fix. I like easy! It's rare when it comes along.

BTW, I bought this washer new in 1990! 25yrs later it's only now given me a problem. What a tank this thing is. Built to last.

I'll post a few photos later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back