Free oil filter exchange

In Orange County (So. Cal.) we have a free oil filter exchange held every few months at local auto parts stores ( Autozone, Pepboys, etc.) bring in a used oil filter (limit of 2) and receive a free oil filter up to $15. This has been going on for a couple years and I have been meaning to share this info for any members in the So. Cal area. The website is ocusedoil.com

In Orange County (So. Cal.) we have a free oil filter exchange held every few months at local auto parts stores ( Autozone, Pepboys, etc.) bring in a used oil filter (limit of 2) and receive a free oil filter up to $15. This has been going on for a couple years and I have been meaning to share this info for any members in the So. Cal area. The website is ocusedoil.com
Wonder that includes cut filters?

This filter exchange thing should go nationwide.
agreed... around here, orielly is the ONLY parts store that takes filters... walk into AZ with a used filter, they just point at the garbage can. then throw a mini temper tantrum about having to go pour your oil in the tank...esp if you need the container back (which means they actually have to do it NOW)..
local orielly, when they see me with the used jug, and filter, just ask if i know where the tank is, and let me walk right into their back room and take care of it myself

Not a bad deal.
Buy some cheap $2 filters for a beater and save them when done, trade them in for a good one for the "good" vehicle.

Wonder that includes cut filters?
Would be interesting to know.
This filter exchange thing should go nationwide.
I agree.

Not a bad deal.
Buy some cheap $2 filters for a beater and save them when done, trade them in for a good one for the "good" vehicle.

Would be interesting to know.

I agree.
You are correct about inexpensive filters. I try to be honest and exchange filters w/in reason but it does not have to be equal price point. you can bring in a used $4 filter and walk out with a $15 filter.

until Covid our local Walmart took the oil and filters in the service area. Since Covid it has been hard to get rid of period!

One thing more frustrating than oil and filters is the can return... Stop charging me for the deposit if you won't take them back :mad:

Reminds me of the 1960s in Michigan.
The power utility would give you a new light bulb for each burned out one you brought in.
They wanted you to keep using the juice.

I did a quick google search and it appears there are similar programs in San Diego County and surrounding. Maybe it's just a California thing. Ultimately it's coming out of my taxes but it's still a nice program :)

I did a quick google search and it appears there are similar programs in San Diego County and surrounding. Maybe it's just a California thing. Ultimately it's coming out of my taxes but it's still a nice program :)
Since you are paying for it through taxes, you would be a fool not to take advantage of the program.

D60

Oh I think it's definitely a CA thing. I'll stop there before something political comes up.

That said, I'd be psyched to see the filter exchange here in CO, and would love to get .50/gallon. I maintain a lot of vehicles for friends and non-profit and pour waste oil about every other week..

I also agree my local O'Reilly is way better about it - they just ask if I know where it is. AutoZone tries to be "corporate" about it but if I can I just walk back there and pour and walk out.

Since you are paying for it through taxes, you would be a fool not to take advantage of the program.
I have been taking advantage of this program for a couple years. Have not bought an oil filter during that time span. I maintain 5 cars so I figure I have saved almost $200 in oil filter cost

Why would they do this?
To encourage recycling. Per their website:
Why recycle oil filters?
  • Used Oil filters contain 10 ounces of used oil and therefore a hazardous waste and must be properly recycled - not thrown in the trash.
  • Oil filters contain used oil and steel, both are valuable nonrenewable resources.
  • Oil filter recycling is good for the environment

Wouldn't mind this here, I generally scrap them and/or use them for firestarters in the wood stove in winter, fish the steel out of the ashes for scrap. The extra used oil is easy to get out once the filter's cut open.

They don't do that here in LA, but they will pickup my oil and filter if I call. They even provided a large collection jug. I just store my old filters in a coffee can until its full and then call for pickup.

They don't do that here in LA, but they will pickup my oil and filter if I call. They even provided a large collection jug. I just store my old filters in a coffee can until its full and then call for pickup.
Environmentally speaking, that program sounds like spending a dollar to save a dime.