Frantz oil bypass filter base is leaking again

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Frantz oil bypass filter was leaking oil at the pressure inlet fitting after more than 10 years of service. I replaced the filter base with another one used on my other car, which is now gone, but, after 3 years the same oil leaking issue happens again.

Do I need to buy a new Frantz filter base with new fittings for the replacement? Or I can just replace the fittings with new ones to re-use the old filter base?

Are there any good sealers that can be applied to the fitting joints such that future oil leaks can be prevented?

I have no such a leaking issue with my Frantz ATF filter probably due to lower fluid pressure.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Are these threaded fittings or are they pressed in? If the former, what about thread sealer or Teflon tape?

Originally Posted by Boomer
Are these threaded fittings or are they pressed in? If the former, what about thread sealer or Teflon tape?

They are threaded fillings, and I only used Teflon tape on my fittings. Frantz uses some kind of blue sealer on the inlet fitting that came with the filter base, but I think it is leaking there, too.

Last edited:
Clean both the male and female threads. Wrap Teflon Tape around the male end and then use some Permatex High Temp Sealant over the tape and screw them together. This should resolve the leaking issue. If it still leaks, the mount may have a crack in it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back