Fram XG7317 C&P

Filter came off a 2015 Honda Civic 1.8L CVT
Filter Interval: 6612 miles and 1 year (7/30/22-7/30/23) Oil Life was at 10% when removed.

Anti-drain back valve was still very pliable. Media looked good and I didn’t notice any tears or manufacturing issues with it. Overall, very impressed with the filter. But I don’t think I would use the XG again given it seems over kill for the current conditions the car drives.
IMG_0473.JPG
IMG_0474.JPG
IMG_0475.JPG
IMG_0478.JPG
IMG_0481.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0477.JPG
    IMG_0477.JPG
    157.4 KB · Views: 10
Anti-drain back valve was still very pliable. Media looked good and I didn’t notice any tears or manufacturing issues with it. Overall, very impressed with the filter. But I don’t think I would use the XG again given it seems over kill for the current conditions the car drives.
I don't think you're wrong, but personally I would frame it this way:

$15 (high side) for Fram XG filter vs $4-6 for the cheaper ones on the shelf. $10 more per year.

Your usage implies either short trips or very infrequent driving, the former being especially hard on oil. An extra $10 / year is good piece of mind IMO when one is running oil near to the very end of the OLM.

But I certainly don't blame someone if they felt the $10 was wasted money-- even the less expensive offerings are decent filters these days.

I don't think you're wrong, but personally I would frame it this way:

$15 (high side) for Fram XG filter vs $4-6 for the cheaper ones on the shelf. $10 more per year.

Your usage implies either short trips or very infrequent driving, the former being especially hard on oil. An extra $10 / year is good piece of mind IMO when one is running oil near to the very end of the OLM.

But I certainly don't blame someone if they felt the $10 was wasted money-- even the less expensive offerings are decent filters these days.
If I was gonna run the oil filter for 2x OCI, this would probably be my pick. But for just a single OCI of ~6500 miles, I think the Bosch 3323, which I had run previously, or the TG7317, which is currently on it, feel like a better fit the application/duty cycle.

Filter came off a 2015 Honda Civic 1.8L CVT
Filter Interval: 6612 miles and 1 year (7/30/22-7/30/23) Oil Life was at 10% when removed.

Anti-drain back valve was still very pliable. Media looked good and I didn’t notice any tears or manufacturing issues with it. Overall, very impressed with the filter. But I don’t think I would use the XG again given it seems over kill for the current conditions the car drives. View attachment 193741View attachment 193742View attachment 193744View attachment 193749View attachment 193751
Looks ok, what oil and filter went back in? Thank You sir 👍🍻

If I was gonna run the oil filter for 2x OCI, this would probably be my pick. But for just a single OCI of ~6500 miles, I think the Bosch 3323, which I had run previously, or the TG7317, which is currently on it, feel like a better fit the application/duty cycle.
Great decision going with the Tough Guard. Best performing filter for the dollar. With it rated at 15k miles, you have a robust safety factor for your OCI!

The Ultra has kind of turned into a glorified Tough Guard. Not the disparity there used to be between the two.
Good Morning KCJeep,
I agree with you. The only performance difference between the Tough Guard and Ultra is an additional 5K of life for an additional $1.80.

Perhaps Fram realized the backing feature on the Ultra didn't generate the volume they expected and removed it. Or they realized they could be getting greater price for a backed filter media but knew they couldn't raise the price of an Ultra $4.00 and created Endurance. Or Fram's product strategy with the Endurance is to try take market share away from Mobil 1, Royal Purple and other filters in the high end price range. It will be interesting to see how the market responds to Endurance.

It also would be interesting to learn the customer profiles of people who shop for oil filters. Is it performance, price, features, brand name, some or all of the above?! Wow, I think I've got a title for a new thread !!! :)

1703074279459.png

Last edited:
Perhaps Fram realized the backing feature on the Ultra didn't generate the volume they expected and removed it. Or they realized they could be getting greater price for a backed filter media but knew they couldn't raise the price of an Ultra $4.00 and created Endurance.
I think the wire backed Ultra sold well. I would rather have seen Fram raise the price on the wire backed Ultra a few bucks instead of changing it and then come out with the Endurance.

Or Fram's product strategy with the Endurance is to try take market share away from Mobil 1, Royal Purple and other filters in the high end price range. It will be interesting to see how the market responds to Endurance.
The Endurance is only sold at Walmart, so not a good marketing stradgity if trying to really impact Mobil 1 or Royal Purple sales. 99.9% of people probably don't know that they are basically the same filters.

I think the wire backed Ultra sold well. I would rather have seen Fram raise the price on the wire backed Ultra a few bucks instead of changing it and then come out with the Endurance.

The Endurance is only sold at Walmart, so not a good marketing stradgity if trying to really impact Mobil 1 or Royal Purple sales. 99.9% of people probably don't know that they are basically the same filters.
Hi ZeeOSix,

I checked the specs on the Endurance, Royal Purple and Mobil 1
Fram Endurance__99% @20 microns, 25K miles, $12.97
Mobil 1___________99% @30 microns, 20k miles, $11.34
Royal Purple______99% @25 microns, 15k miles, $18.99

The price positioning for performance and brand is very interesting. I'm not sure why a person would buy the Royal Purple but I could see a person stepping up to the Fram Endurance over the Mobil 1. Mobil 1s are sold side by side with the Endurance at Wal-Mart and a customer would be able to compare specs on the retail packaging. The RPs are sold at O'Reilly's.

Hi ZeeOSix,

I checked the specs on the Endurance, Royal Purple and Mobil 1
Fram Endurance__99% @20 microns, 25K miles, $12.97
Mobil 1___________99% @30 microns, 20k miles, $11.34
Royal Purple______99% @25 microns, 15k miles, $18.99

The price positioning for performance and brand is very interesting. I'm not sure why a person would buy the Royal Purple but I could see a person stepping up to the Fram Endurance over the Mobil 1. Mobil 1s are sold side by side with the Endurance at Wal-Mart and a customer would be able to compare specs on the retail packaging. The RPs are sold at O'Reilly's.
I'm not sure if the efficiency specs are actually shown on the box with micron size info on all 3 of those oil filters. But again, the Endurance is only sold at Walmart. Lots of people would buy the Mobil 1 or Royal Purple solely on the brand name. Lots of people buy oil filters and don't even know what a micron is, lol.

Back